It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The weatherman that cried Wolf - Hurricane Michael

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I lived through several hurricanes and do not wish that on anyone.

That being said, I think our sensationalist news has done a huge disservice to people.

I think they have sensationalized so many weather events that when there really is a dangerous situation people are numb
to it.
What comes to mind are terms like "category 6" "snowmageddon" "Apocalyptic cloud" "firenado"
Don't even get me started on images of weathermen pretending to be blown away by wind and water.
Many of these catastrophic events turn out to be much less of a event then what the news portrays.

So now we get to Hurricane Michael. Now here is the funny thing, it really looks like it could be quite powerful and damaging. I'm not seeing near the amount of press that Hurricane Florence received. That makes me think two things, the networks know people have hurricane fatigue and won't garner rating, or they suffered backlash from overhyping the last few storms. I also have a suspicion that media cares more about certain geographical areas than others (just my opinion)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

the networks know people have hurricane fatigue and won't garner rating

I would think this is part of it. The news is now a business and people need to see ads to keep the revenue stream going.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

heres a radical idea [ for news media ] :

report EVERYTHING as it is EXACTLY as it is

this will create an atmosphere - thsat few are familioar with - viewer trust and confidence

this will booost ratings - and ad revenue will flock to the source

meanwhile back in the real world ..............................

" WE ARE DOOOOOMED .... ALL DOOOOOMED "

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
To be fair, some people have got into trouble for NOT being sensational about hurricanes;

(The storm that followed knocked down half the trees in southern England)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Well, there could be a few reasons for the lack of screaming about it.

1. It's only supposed to be a Cat. 2 when it hits the panhandle.

2. That area gets lots of hurricanes, and is more prepared unlike the Carolina coast where they are less common.

So I think it's just that this one is not that big of a deal, compared to more recent ones.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

The media always seems to make big deals about storms which threaten the eastern seaboard and seem to whimp out at storms which threaten the Gulf Coast.

I hope it's just my imagination but think it has much to do with their ratings. Make lots of noise of the potential impact of a storm which threatens the eastern seaboard, which encompasses some of the largest media markets in the country translates into larger viewership.

Tout the potential for days before, and individuals not inclined to watch certain media outlets like WX Channels will tune in to see if their area is included in the threat area. Keep beating the drum with potential models and tracks sparks viewers fears and interest.

I hope every storm attracts the attention needed to save lives but feel the drums are more to attract viewers than anything. Please remember however, that every storm packs a significant punch for somewhere and someone, and even those that appear weak.
edit on 10/9/2018 by DJMSN because: Correction

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

They are saying Michael will be at least a 3 when it makes landfall. (of course we'll have to see about that)

I do agree with you that areas of the Gulf are much better prepared, however it's been many years since a big one hit.

We'll see, we'll see, that is all I will say.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I remember when the news was boring. Yes, boring but we all took what they said as truth.

You watched soap operas for drama, not the news.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

They are saying Michael will be at least a 3 when it makes landfall. (of course we'll have to see about that)

however it's been many years since a big one hit.

Many years?

Harvey was a 4 last year and look at the ultimate damage.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Sorry, I should have said "Florida Panhandle's Strongest Landfall in 13 Years"
weather.com...

I lived in Florida, so that is the first place that comes to mind.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

OK, I see. Gulf Coast people are mostly old hands.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It's the Bend stretch of the panhandle -- it's a common landfall zone in FL, is more sparsely populated than other areas (comparatively, if you go with the 12-county version of what constitutes the Bend, it has about 1/5th the population of Miami-Dade County alone) and really isn't a huge deal to them in general.

You can say less people equals less coverage (still half a million folks) but in reality, it's just old hat weather to the area in general.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Are you kidding?

This storm is of Apocalyptic proportions!
apnews.com...

This storm is Monstrous!
www.wunderground.com...
www.foxnews.com...
abcnews.go.com...

And it is all on account of because of!
www.cbc.ca...

Which is why we must all and everyone everywhere embrace this!
www.un.org...

And actions outlined here will be taken!
www.globalclimateactionsummit.org...

“Now is the time for all leaders to step up and take bold action. Climate change is a threat to all humanity, and it can only be solved by a global cooperative effort. Only together will we transform our communities and energy systems, create employment opportunities and economic prosperity, protect our oceans and natural environment, and complete the transition to a zero-carbon world.” “We call on the national governments of the world to: Step-Up Ambition Now including in the form of enhanced Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) by 2020, consistent with what science tells us is needed to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement Now; Chart a Clear path to your Zero-carbon future and Empower Bottom-Up Climate Action,” it says.

I love this report!
www.greenbiz.com...

Bottom line?

Because of these horrid monstrous storms, they must end modern living as we know it! No more electricty, fossil fueled automobiles, and homes for 4 the size of shipping containers!

It will be a brave new world! In the dark.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: JAGStorm

however it's been many years since a big one hit.

Many years?

Harvey was a 4 last year and look at the ultimate damage.

They are talking about the specific area where it's headed in the Gulf.

There are numerous large trees that will be undermined by the storm and if it lines up wrong on Apalachicola, you're adding a potential 15ft storm surge in the mix with lots of downed trees.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, that was clarified later.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Yes, I saw that one.

You know because the former USSR had such great climate and environmental stewardship. They only destroyed Lake Baikal and the Aral Sea. Look at the horrific air pollution in China and the massive devastation caused on the river systems there by their projects. India's central governmental planning has also done wonders for their natural habitats and river systems. Most of the plastic contamination in the Pacific comes from several communist East Asian nations. Venezuela has destroyed the lake most of their petroleum reserves sit under. East Germany choked their forests with acid rain when they were communist.

But, yes, let's just assume that this time a communist run world will be better for the environment and save us all.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Yea, maybe every country can have a Cherynoble!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I kind of have been taking a relaxed approach to Michael here in the Clearwater area. Maybe too relaxed. The skies today and yesterday are yellow hazy with strong winds and flooding already occuring in low areas due to building storm surge. Being told it will get worse but too late to move inland. Oh, well.
edit on 9-10-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Yea, maybe every country can have a Cherynoble!

Better then having a Chernobyl.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I minute 50

m.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join