It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Well Wishes to JustMike

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in


posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:30 AM
So much love and care, please keep them coming, the battle has just begun.

The core of ATS always rings true.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:19 AM
a reply to: JustMike

Hi, Mike!

So sorry to read about your health
problems! Keeping you in my prayers
for a speedy resolution, whatever
they decide to do!

Hubby had his back surgery in 1998.
They've come a long way since then!
He only needed a couple of slipped
discs shaved though. He said he didn't
understand how he could have pinched
nerves & be numb, yet have pain at
the same time!

He should have surgery on his neck too.
They said it could help with his seizures.
But he's putting it off as long as he can!
Not looking forward to it! Luckily no real
pain yet!

Anything with the spine can be scary.
But hang in there, try to stay positive,
we all have your back! πŸ˜‰
Sorry, had to...laughter is the best
medicine after all!
Please keep us updated as you're able to!


edit on 18-10-2018 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2018 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 09:56 PM
Just thinking of you tonight Mike. Hope all is going ok in the lead up to the MRI on the 22nd. Still sending you my best healing vibes. Keep us posted.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 09:14 PM
No news is usually good news, right?
But with JustMike supposed to have the MRI yesterday,
& not hearing from him today, I wonder if he had to
stay in the hospital?
Has anyone heard anything?


posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:07 AM
We trust you are well and recovering, whilst Dada is enjoying a break from your constant care .

Looking forward to your reply Mike !

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 01:48 PM
Many thanks to everyone who has posted since I last updated on here. It really helps to know you're all out there and helping to send good vibes or prayers my way. Not just for myself, but my wife as well.

Anyway, I have a fresh update.

I had the MRI on Monday 22nd as planned and the doc there was very quick with writing up the report. He came out to see me after they'd done the scans, knowing it had been pretty tough to bear, to put it mildly. The MRI itself is completely painless and I have no claustrophobia issues, so that side of things was ok. But I had to lie on my back and remain completely still for almost half an hour, which was murder. Because this was a 7.30 am session and I was picked up by ambulance from home at 6.30 am, I'd had no chance to go to my doc's and get my usual Mon-Fri morning infusion of opiates that helps me to get through the day. And of course I'd had none on the weekend either.

So, I had almost no pain relief. Trying to lie completely still when you have a herniated disc plus another that's prolapsed is near impossible without a big dose of powerful painkillers. The urge to move, to grab that cramping leg and pull it in close and get at least some relief, was so overpowering the sweat was pouring off me. But if I moved/thrashed about etc, then the scan would be ruined and they'd have to start all over again.

The medical staff were fantastic, really. They have obviously seen cases like mine before and doubtless way worse, and they were incredibly understanding and supportive. It's good to feel that you're being seen as a person and not just another number or whatever cliche we want to throw out there.

Well as I said, the doc came out to see me. Said it was amazing I could walk at all, considering what the scans showed.

Things moved pretty quickly from there. The doc arranged for copies of the scans to be put on a CD that I could take with me, and so when I saw my own Doc the next day and gave him the CD, he was able to send copies of the images to a couple of specialists, who concurred with what the MRI doc said. Surgery was needed and soon.

This morning, my doc had a conversation with the head of the neurosurgery dept in the Ceske Budejovice (CB) hospital. The CB hosp. is known for having the best neurosurgical team in this part of the country, on a par with the best in Prague and hence in Europe. Anyway the boss neurosurgeon there decided to push my case through a lot faster than usual: a few months' wait before surgery is not uncommon (when it's not accident/trauma related or a true life-and-death case), but he's booked me in for Nov 14th, just three weeks from now.

This is a huge relief, because now I can really start planning all the details for my wife's care while I'm in hospital. Meanwhile, I keep going to my own doc every morning Mon-Fri for the infusions, and just take it very carefully so neither the herniated disc or the prolapsed one get any worse. If they do, I'll have no choice but to go into hospital right away and obviously I'd rather not do that.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the spinal surgery. Never imagined I'd feel like that, but yeah: it sure beats the alternative!

edit on 25/10/18 by JustMike because: I fixed some typos, but eye tink maybee I meesed sum.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 01:58 PM
Now a little word of advice: one of the reasons I have gone into so much detail here is that there could well be someone reading this thread who also has terrible pain -- even crippling pain -- and possibly it's from something similar. The problem with an injury like mine is that the worst pain doesn't have to be in your back. In fact it is usually lower down, through your "tail" (on one side of your body), down past your hip and into your thigh, the lower leg (calf muscles feel like they're cramped for hours at a time) and even into your foot.

It's even possible to have this same thing but affecting both sides of your body. That's rare, thankfully, because it's so cripling that walking (even with crutches) is almost impossible.

In either case, normal painkillers just won't touch this kind of pain. And while the problem can go away on its own, if it doesn't after some days or weeks -- or if it gets worse -- then you really need to seek medical help.

In what way can it get worse? Okay, if you have the kind of pain symptoms I've mentioned and then you also get incontinence (with peeing and/or "number twos") it can be very dangerous. The nerves can be so badly damaged that it can cause permanent paralysis and other issues.

So if anyone reading this is having similar symptoms, and especially if you get incontinence or a sudden increase in the loss of feeling in your lower leg/s or feet, it can be a medical emergency. Do NOT wait for it to "get better". Call for medical help as soon as possible. Not tomorrow or when you have time. "As soon as posssible" means as soon as you can get to a phone and make the call.

My own doctor has warned me of these serious complications because I'm a candidate for them. If I get any of the above additional symptoms, I am under doctor's orders to call an ambulance immediately. And my doc does not kid around about things like this. That is also probably why the head of neurosurgery pushed my case up the line and has booked me in way sooner than usual. Because the risk, though not high, is definitely there.

If writing all this helps just one person who readss it, or you read this and you know someone -- a loved one, a friend, a neighbour, a work colleague -- who is having the same symptoms, then please talk to them and try to help them get to a medical professional. This goes 200% if they are showing any of the very dangerous additional symptoms.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 02:21 PM
a reply to: JustMike

Thank you for the update as well as the info and insight into these types of medical issues.
I too am relieved they moved up your surgery, and hope and pray all goes well for you, and your beautiful wife is well cared for while you are away.

edit on 25-10-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 10:13 PM
a reply to: JustMike

The update is much appreciated Mike. You know you have your ATS family by your side every step of the way. Hopefully you will feel like a whole new man when this is over. In the meantime, let others help in looking after you and Dada when possible. You have to be very careful right now and there will be recovery time needed of course. Loving thoughts and prayers for you and Dada. Hugs!

edit on 25-10-2018 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 01:00 PM
a reply to: JustMike

It's nice to read you are being well looked after. I've only had second-hand experience of what health care professionals do each and every day but it is truly a thing to see. Angels.

With the amount of pain you've described I can see how the surgery would be welcomed. You can't relax your body when you are constantly in pain. Sitting in a chair, standing up, laying down. When that all hurts it's unbearable and medication is a temporary respite.

If I may be so bold, ask your Doctor to tell you a joke. Humour must be present imho. And if he/she asks you for a joke, I have one for you.

Q Why was the scarecrow promoted?

A Because he was outstanding in his field.

I didn't say it was a good joke. To your impending operation and pain-free health!
edit on 26/10/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:11 PM
a reply to: JustMike

Mike it was a pleasure to read, that this ordeal is going along fairly well and you are in such good spirits, you are an inspiration to me.
I hope your arrangements for Dada will procede as smoothly and you can enjoy each others company with out too much deviation from your normal routine.
Hugs to you both, WIS

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:26 PM
a reply to: WalkInSilence, and also to Sheye, Night and LightSD, and anyone else who's been keeping up with this.

Well, I am now in hospital. This was not planned but it was a "I have no choice" situation.

As I mentioned in my last post a couple or three days ago, with things like spinal damage it's important to keep watch for any sudden changes that might be linked to the problem.

On Saturday afternoon, out of nowhere, I suddenly started feeling nauseous. "Spinning head" as they call it here. Shortly after I had a vomiting episode. But the weird thing was, I had NO other symptoms of eg an infection or a stomach bug. No fever, no trots, nothing. And after that episode I soon felt okay again.

Until about twenty minutes later, when I had another "episode". Then half an hour later, and then another just under an hour after that. Before that one all I'd had was half a glass of water and I couldn't even keep that down for ten minutes. I'd not eaten anything unusual, had not had a drop of alcohol, and only taken my prescribed doses of tablets. So...

Also, my lower back was really hurting. More than it had before. Well, it looked like something had gone badly wrong, and my own doc had warned me: "Never mind what you are doing, if you get new symptoms, you call an ambulance immediately!!

I knew what he meant: a rapid change can lead to permanent and very serious problems. So, I called the ambulance.

They got there pretty quickly and just a few minutes later I was on the way to one of the major regional hospitals. At pretty high speed, with the blue lights going the whole way. (They only turned on the sirens when they really had to.)

The paramedic sent data through while we were en route and was told it was an "urgent admission" and to bring me straight through as soon as they arrived. So they drove right up to the doors of the place. Not kidding!

A couple of younger docs saw me first and then they took me off and did some CTs. The senior doctor on duty last night in the emergency neurology dept -- who is also head of the dept and a neurosurgeon -- then told me the scans showed deterioration since the last ones, done about two weeks ago. So, he wanted to admit me and have me stay there. I'd be safer than at home, and they could get my surgery organized even faster.

Long story short, I explained the situation with my wife. I literally had to get our nighbour over at a minute's notice and just leave her to care for my wife. She's done it before, but it was planned and well arranged. And not with a "I don't know when I'll be coming home again" kind of situation into the bargain.

I was worried, of course. But the doc really understood. He arranged for my wife to be brought in by ambulance, booked her in as a patient in the same ward (as she qualifies with her condition) and gave us a 2-bed room to share!

It's just a temp arrangement to get us through the weekend, so she is also safe and cared for 24/7. Tomorrow, they will make arrangements to move her to a longer-term specialist care facility, likely the one near where we live, which she was going to enter on Nov 12.

Meanwhile, I'm safe and ok. At least, I am in the best possible place if things get any worse.

Thank you all for your support. I'm very grateful. And if my wife Dada could understand what is going on, she'd thank you as well.
edit on 28/10/18 by JustMike because: I fixed some typos, but eye tink maybee I meesed sum.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 02:28 PM
a reply to: JustMike

Thank you for the update Hun! I am glad that both you and Dada are in good hands and being looked after. I will keep watch in here for other updates of course. Prayers, love and light to you both my dear friend!

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 03:10 PM
a reply to: JustMike

Just wow. From bad to worse in two days. Thankfully you didn't hesitate to call Emergency and it all came together in an unexpected way and you have your wife with you. I can't imagine the relief and peace of mind that must give you and her. I'm sure you are both in the best place now. Here's to a swift surgery. Thank you for the update.
edit on 28/10/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 03:59 PM
a reply to: JustMike

Oh dear Mike, my heart and prayers go out to you and Dada. I know you are brave and strong, that you both are taken care of, but this must be terrifying.
Much love your way. Thank you for being. WIS

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 04:29 PM
a reply to: WalkInSilence
Yes, I have to admit it to myself: it's pretty scary. But I think like most people I just try to put that aspect aside -- except in my dreams, when they all rear their ugly heads.

Dada's being a bit problematic tonight. It's nearly 10.30 pm and she refuses to settle down or even consider going to bed. Doctors didn't prescribe anything at all for her to help her calm down or sleep (which is a surprise, really), so it looks like I'll have a very long night. Not ideal when I'm supposed to be resting, but there's nothing I can do about it.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 04:59 PM

originally posted by: JustMike

Yes, I have to admit it to myself: it's pretty scary. But I think like most people I just try to put that aspect aside -- except in my dreams, when they all rear their ugly heads.

I can relate. I took care of both my ageing parents, have served in hospice care and worked with Alzheimer's patients. Every one, aside from the Alzheimer patients, patients, family, are in total denial. They force them selves to look at "the bright side".
It is always obvious that, that approach is painful, people suppress their true emotions and it just causes more stress. Many times have I been with people who where grateful, that I would listen and not judge them for their pain. They could unload on me and then smile to the "visitors"

Our dreams speak to us of that which we must pay attention, I learned it the hard way.

Dada's being a bit problematic tonight.

That was to be expected and it worried me when you spoke of it, even though it is good the two of you can remain together now. Any alteration for them is strenuous, I do hope they give her something calming.

Find some rest dear, even if it is just brief moments.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:58 AM
a reply to: WalkInSilence
The other night (here in the hospital), Sat night into Sun morning, I had one of those "dream within a dream" things, which for me are among the worst as you're not sure when it's really ended.

In this dream, I woke up in my hospital bed, then grabbed my crutches that are right by the bed, swung myself around with them and got out of bed. Then I turned and saw my legs were still lying on the bed, and when I looked down, I had no feet or legs -- only my crutches.

I screamed then -- hopefully not loudly in reality -- but in the dream it was loud and "woke me up" -- but still within the dream.

I was back on the bed again, but when I turned to get my crutches they weren't there. I tried to move my legs and they wouldn't move. I looked over the side of the bed and suddenly the floor looked a long, long way down. I was trapped on my bed, with no way to get out.

I was just about to scream again -- at least I guess I was -- when the nurse came in to check on me and give me my early-morning medicines. This time I was really awake, but it took me a few seconds to be sure. And the weird thing was that in my sleep I'd reached up and grabbed the "lift strap" over my bed. The one you grab and haul on to help get yourself up.

I held onto that for several seconds while I checked to see that my legs were still there and still working.

That was not a great way to wake upon my first morning here. I had other dreams into this (Monday) morning, but fortunately I can't remember them. But I woke up holding on that darned strap again.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:07 AM
Dreams can be a problem if we over-analyse them. Generally they are just our minds/brains processing events, or our own thoughts, fear or concerns about things. So, I'll leave the above alone and move on to the here & now and more practical realities.

I mentioned already that I was scheduled for surgery. Now that I know more about how these things work than I did even a few days ago, I can amend that bit to say that I was scheduled for further investigations to see if surgery was essential.

In other words, there was an admittedly slim possibility that they could treat my condition in a less aggressive way, via forms of rehab and lots of rest. I wasn't fully aware of that angle until I guess Friday, but what happened Saturday afternoon and that led to me being in this hospital changed all that anyway.

A doctor came by to see me a couple of times today. After all, we had a lot to discuss. Besides my own condition we had more talks about what to do with Dada. It's still wearing me down, having to keep an eye on her. (And yes, the nursing staff here expect me to do that, even though Dada is a patient here. It's very hard on the nerves.)

This room-sharing thing was supposed to be a temp fix to get us through the weekend. I was told on Saturday evening that Monday morning, they would get things organized to move Dada to a better place. Here it is at 4 pm Monday afternoon and all I know is that they might have something figured out tomorrow.

Thankfully the doc understands and has started the ball rolling to get Dada placed in a more appropriate facility. I get the feeling if we hadn't discussed this, then nothing would happen and I would somehow be supposed to care for Dada like I do at home – including getting her to bed, and helping her dress in the morning – try that while you're on crutches and in pain!

Anyway it's getting sorted. Hopefully.

Meanwhile the doc told me that she's just consulted with the senior neurosurgeon here, to see if there was any chance of non-invasive treatment. IOW, care without resorting to surgery.

Then she very apologetically told me that after viewing all my images the surgeon said, β€œNo. No way.”

In short, she said the surgeon told her the damage is so bad that surgery is the only way to go. Again, she was very apologetic and I said,”There's no need to be sorry. I am just very, very grateful that we have expert medical people here, who can help me end the nightmare I've been living all day every day and get back to a normal life.”

She seemed glad for that comment. But I really mean it. I have no other hope, so I'm grateful for what they can do.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 12:52 PM
a reply to: JustMike

Surgery can be intimidating.. Especially spinal surgery. But, it can also work wonders with these sorts of injuries.

I had multiple herniated disc, one ruptured, and one severely ruptured. Surgery pretty much sorted it out. For me, the relief was apparent pretty much directly out of anesthesia and, with things like camera tech.. the healing process was shockingly fast.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in