It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you butt dial your way into multiple felony charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
New from BigDave’s crazy Arkansas story collection for your perusal:
FOX16 Article

HOT SPRINGS, Ark.-- Hot Springs Police said a man admitted to stealing from 'various' stores and set up a drug buy after accidentally calling 911 Sunday night. Police arrested three people because of the one call. HSPD Corporal Joey Williams said, "It's definitely one of the stranger things I've seen in 18 years as a law enforcement officer."

Williams told us Robert Dark accidently called 911 around 10 p.m. Sunday. "Dispatchers were listening on the 911 and overhears Robert not only bragging about numerous thefts he made at different businesses in Hot Springs but he was currently making a deal for meth," Williams told us. HSPD uses a smart 911 system which helped pin point the phone near the intersection of Grand and Central. Williams said, "So we had a pretty good idea where he was at and earlier in the evening officers had dealt with Robert as a passenger in a vehicle. So, we kind of had an idea of what car he was going to be in." Police said officers located Dark, drugs and 2 women (1 with warrants) at the Exxon near that intersection. Patterson said, "I don't think every crook is going to butt-dial somebody."

Audio Link

What a way to get yourself locked up! Talk about making policing easy, next time you go to setup a drug deal and brag about your crimes make sure you’re not letting dispatchers in on your dirty deeds.
🤣🤣🤣

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Butt dial or systematic spying/monitoring of ex-con's on a smartphone? They could turn the mic on and listen and probably send a signal to either call 911 or show a call to 911 (just to make it look like it) and then send in the troops.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
Butt dial or systematic spying/monitoring of ex-con's on a smartphone? They could turn the mic on and listen and probably send a signal to either call 911 or show a call to 911 (just to make it look like it) and then send in the troops.

Right because they’d use that against a two bit thief and meth head right? Did you even listen to the audio you can hear the dispatcher? Put your hard on for law enforcement away for a minute and enjoy the nice helping of karma.
edit on 10/9/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

That is a certain kinda stupid right there

I wonder what he is gunna tell the other inmates when they ask how he got caught.
Stories like these make me happy and sad at the same time. Is there any hope left for us little humans?

O well F# it

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

That is a certain kinda stupid right there

I wonder what he is gunna tell the other inmates when they ask how he got caught.
Stories like these make me happy and sad at the same time. Is there any hope left for us little humans?

O well F# it

That’s what I was thinking dudes gonna have to get creative with his story to his fellow cons on this one! What a fail, if I’m off when dude has his court date I might have to make the trip I have a feeling it’ll be comedy gold, sadly they don’t allow popcorn in the court room....

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Dude if make to the court your gunna have to tell us all about it.
I hope you do make it man, sounds like it would be funny as hell.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Im going to say i suspect they are lying. Try to have your phone butt dial 911. Most phones lock while in your pocket. Next even if it didnt what's the odds of it actually dialing 911? Next operators don't sit on calls they read a script advising you to call back than hang up and call the phone. Why would they sit there listening to them talk?

And finally you have to get a court order in a non emergency situation to even access location information with a cell company. Even when a person is missing they have to get approval from a judge. But somehow they magically got this information to track him down and arrest him?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Dude if make to the court your gunna have to tell us all about it.
I hope you do make it man, sounds like it would be funny as hell.

Just checked court connect he had his arraignment this afternoon no court date posted as of yet so far he’s looking at 5 class D felonies and that’s just the drug and paraphernalia charges I suspect more charges will be added.

ETA this guy’s record is crazy long nearly 40 prior cases, me thinks this guy didn’t need any help getting locked up again.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   

That's a special kind of stupid, right there...

Karma seldom needs help, but she sure got it there.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Im going to say i suspect they are lying. Try to have your phone butt dial 911. Most phones lock while in your pocket. Next even if it didnt what's the odds of it actually dialing 911? Next operators don't sit on calls they read a script advising you to call back than hang up and call the phone. Why would they sit there listening to them talk?

And finally you have to get a court order in a non emergency situation to even access location information with a cell company. Even when a person is missing they have to get approval from a judge. But somehow they magically got this information to track him down and arrest him?

I suspect you have acsess to the SOP for dispatchers in Arkansas? If what you’re saying is true the lawyer shall have a nice easy case then huh? I’ll admit that there is a chance that there’s more to this than is being reported, I will be keeping an eye on this and if you turn out to be correct I’ll be yelling high and hard. For now we’ll see how it goes but it wouldn’t be the first time something like this has happened and it won’t be the last. Check his record that I posted he’s no angel caught up in a conspiracy yet he’s still small fry and wouldn’t be worth burning their secret sauce “leer haxor” abilities for some likely possession and paraphernalia charges.

ETA- Prior cases of criminals dialing 911 inadvertently:
www.slate.com...

www.theatlantic.com...

www.deseretnews.com...

December 2008; Middletown, New York: A trio of thieves intent upon stealing car parts from an auto body shop in upstate New York foiled themselves when the cell phone one of them was carrying “pocket dialed” 911, resulting in police overhearing their conversation as they were robbing the place: “You better come! We’re getting the tires — just shut the car off. They’re going to think we’re stealing it!” The GPS function on the phone led police straight to the miscreants.

April 2005; Rogersville, Tennessee: Hawkins County authorities were tipped off to two would-be burglars’ plans to steal a refrigerator from a mobile home dealership when a cell phone one of the crooks was carrying in his front pocket relayed a 40-minute-long discussion about the upcoming heist to 911 dispatchers. (The phone was of a type that automatically calls 911 when the ‘9’ key is held down.) Sheriff’s deputies hid in the woods near the dealership and nabbed the hapless thieves as they exited one of the mobile homes with a refrigerator and set it on the ground outside.

March 1997; San Diego, California: Trying to call Mexico, a drug dealer dialed 911 instead of 011. Though he hung up when the emergency services operator answered, a police patrol was dispatched to his address. Four bad guys were arrested and 42 lbs. of marijuana and 2 oz. of methamphetamine were seized.

February 1996; Frederick, Maryland: A lad called 911 to report the shed he was growing marijuana in was on fire. He got 60 days.

August 1996; Los Angeles, California: Yet another failed attempt to call Mexico netted this drug dealer a visit from John Law. A gun, $15,000 and a 3 lb. bag of powdered coc aine were discovered at this fellow’s house.

February 1994; Laguna Nigel, California: A man programming his phone to speed-dial 911 (Huh? The number is that hard to remember?) was arrested when sheriff’s deputies responded to his call. He and his two buddies appeared to be under the influence of crystal methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia was found in the apartment, so the three of them were placed under arrest.

February 1990; San Diego, California: A phone programmed to automatically dial 911 when bumped or dropped gave this set of crooks away. Police discovered 250-300 marijuana plants growing in the house they’d been sent to investigate.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

HA!

Sucks for that guy. He's going to be the laughing stock of the prison. Can you imagine how stupid he is going to feel sitting in prison?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

HA!

Sucks for that guy. He's going to be the laughing stock of the prison. Can you imagine how stupid he is going to feel sitting in prison?

Just talked to my brother (a fellow night shift tanker driver) and these are the times that make him wish he was still a corrections officer at ADC. He’ll catch no end of sh1t and given his record I’d think he’s gonna be doing some time he was still on parole from his last criminal case in April. Guys definently a winner!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Oh sure, when its a guy in Florida its called "Florida Man", but when its in Arkansas it gets written up as "Hot Springs Police said a man".

This is RACIST against Floridians!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Oh sure, when its a guy in Florida its called "Florida Man", but when its in Arkansas it gets written up as "Hot Springs Police said a man".

This is RACIST against Floridians!

It’s not our fault that we can’t compete in the level of insanity y’all manage to churn out!

Maybe one day we can be up their with y’all but not quite yet, plus this was a local news article so doesn’t have the “crazy hick” spin to it, probably will if it hits bigger out of state news outlets.

ETA- It’s also well known to any Arkansan that Hot Springers are a whole ‘nother type, they’ve got their own unique sub culture, I won’t go into it being the “Childhood Home of Bill Clinton”

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   
it amuses me - then number of people that claim to " be skeptical of the offical story " - and immediatly concoct an elaborate conspiracy to explain what " really " happened

some official explainations - should be questioned - but certain people just go full retard - and invent alternate reasons for EVERYTHING

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
it amuses me - then number of people that claim to " be skeptical of the offical story " - and immediatly concoct an elaborate conspiracy to explain what " really " happened

some official explainations - should be questioned - but certain people just go full retard - and invent alternate reasons for EVERYTHING
Sometimes Occam’s razor isn’t quite sharp enough to cut through BS delusions and preconceived notions. I think an pt quote for parties like that would be Hanlon’s Razor since wer’re on to logical razors: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity”.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

So someone can butt dial themselves to jail, but the whole justice system can't do anything with 2 years of investigations.

I have less than no faith left in humanity.

I feel like I am sitting on my phone in the most awkward way right now.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof
Average police don't have that know how.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'll never understand keeping stuff in the back pocket. Especially valuable and breakable stuff.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I often have my phone locked in my pocket and it often slide unlocks after the power button is nudged. Right on that lock screen is a "emergency calls only" button which rings 000 with a single bump. The equivalent of dialing 911.

Thankfully I have not dialed them. But I have 'butt' dialled friends by accident from a very much locked phone.

So yeah, I am proof it is possible to do.

Unless American android and apple smart phones don't have such a feature despite being the exact same machines?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join