It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW NASA plans to FRACK Yellowstone Supervolcano 4 Geothermal! What could go wrong?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Not every environmentalists fits an extreme mold.

They'll all vote for the same guy at the end of the day, though.

If they were to believe that such a disaster would be better for mankind let alone the environment, they have another thing coming.

You don't believe the environment would eventually recover?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Would take some time.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Of course, cool movie though.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Of course, cool movie though.
Always a favorite of mine, never gave the show a try, don’t recall hearing very much good about it, Willis is in two of my favorite movies ever 12 Monkeys and The 5th Element.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

Oh how much better a day these wonderful news will wake me for today. Was getting bored already to my life, but now atleast, I know the end is not that far away, and it will be spectacular and absolutely worth living for.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

Oh how much better a day these wonderful news will wake me for today. Was getting bored already to my life, but now atleast, I know the end is not that far away, and it will be spectacular and absolutely worth living for.
And speak of the 5th Element a fellow fan!

link   
Best response all Morning HAHAHa

a reply to: deckdel

link   

If it's true, it means NASA already has a big spacecraft to evacuate their elite and f# the rest.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Havn't seen the show either. How about Even Horizon(same era)?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

Avert danger, the creepy Denver airport mural has been removed!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Would take some time.

Humans care about time. Nature is time.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   

They may be nutters OR perhaps they are planning to create some kind of geothermal release valve to head off a super volcanic explosion if they believe one is brewing.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   

The economy rebuilds, people recover first as it could set off the Cascadia Subduction zone, San Andreas, Cascade volcanoes, others, not to dismiss the fallout danger(see Mt Saint Helens but times x amount).

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   

The economy rebuilds, people recover first as it could set off the Cascadia Subduction zone, San Andreas, Cascade volcanoes, others, not to dismiss the fallout danger(see Mt Saint Helens but times x amount).

Oh I didn't say humans wouldn't be screwed. I said the environment would be OK in the long run without people. What does the environment need us for? It already has all the genuine plastic it could ever want.

edit on 9-10-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Gotcha, nature is time just on a longer timeline.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   

This was shared July and August 2017.

Thread on it - www.abovetopsecret.com...

One article reply from then saying:

No, NASA Isn’t Going to Drill to Stop Yellowstone from Erupting

Let’s cut to the chase: The purported NASA plan to “defuse” Yellowstone is pure science fiction.

OK, now that we have that out of the way, let’s get into the details of the numerous articles that have jumped all over what might best be termed a “thought experiment” by scientists at NASA. Yellowstone, the massive caldera in the middle of North America, is definitely a volcanic threat. Is it a high volcanic threat? Not as much as other, much more active volcanoes in the United States. However, it has produced some really massive eruptions in its history—well, three times in its history dating back to ~2.1 million years ago.
Source

But your articles/links are old ones. You got the same recent news like that article from Zerohedge elsewhere like here:

www.businessinsider.com...

www.express.co.uk...

edit on 9-10-2018 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Gives new meaning to "Poke it with a stick".
Never seems to go well for the poker.

My brother, a friend and I was looking for ahem, mushrooms...you know portobello mushrooms

And we came across this huge dead bloated cow boy was she ripe! Anyways it appeared she had died giving birth because the calf was still halfway in. We got to poking her with a really big stick and uh lets just say that there was a massive amount of 'juice spray' involved and it didnt turn out so well for the poker.

I think it is a terrible idea to go poking around at Yellowstone. I sure hope none of you are in the kill zone. Im in the secondary ash zone so its going to be pretty bad here if it goes off. But at least I'm not in the kill zone or the primary ash zone.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Well make up your mind, are we gonna all die from global warming because of burning coal or from super volcanoes from trying to find alternative sources of energy?

Jaden
edit on 9-10-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: charlyv
Gives new meaning to "Poke it with a stick".
Never seems to go well for the poker.

My brother, a friend and I was looking for ahem, mushrooms...you know portobello mushrooms

And we came across this huge dead bloated cow boy was she ripe! Anyways it appeared she had died giving birth because the calf was still halfway in. We got to poking her with a really big stick and uh lets just say that there was a massive amount of 'juice spray' involved and it didnt turn out so well for the poker.

I think it is a terrible idea to go poking around at Yellowstone. I sure hope none of you are in the kill zone. Im in the secondary ash zone so its going to be pretty bad here if it goes off. But at least I'm not in the kill zone or the primary ash zone.

🤢🤮Ah man I was about have a nice road snack and you just ruined that for me! I’ve been in a similar sitaution were me and my friend found a cow that had a dead calf hanging out of it now is both being stupid and big animal lovers we managed to remove the dead calf but I vomited a few times in the process. Still worth it to presumably save the cow and won big points with my Indian (of the non native variety) buddies lol.😇🐮

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Just a couple of points of order here.

The technique they suggested is not fracking, which is a bastardisation of fracturing, as in hydraulic fracturing, which is the process of forcing water into the Earth, to fracture shale underground, releasing gas trapped within the rock, in order to then collect the gas when it emerges from the shale.

No, this is actually quite different. Where as fracking seeks draw a fuel from the ground, so that it can be transported to elsewhere, sold off to whomever as would like to buy it, the technique involved in this NASA idea is somewhat different. The notion seems to be that injecting relatively hot water at high pressure, would result in a slow, controlled, cooling effect over a long period (and when I say long, I mean on a geological scale of time), as well as having an interesting by product, that being the heat ejected from the system, which could replace between five and six regular power plants in terms of its energy output, providing power for tens, or even hundreds of thousands of years.

The idea behind this however is to cool the volcano slowly enough that it no longer poses a threat, slowly enough that no thermal shock event causes catastrophe, but cools it enough to reduce the pressure at its head, and over time calm the region down well enough that no more threat issues therefrom, over tens of thousands, perhaps a hundred thousand years.

Now, I am not saying that this is necessarily a good idea, and there are some pretty significant risks associated with the plan, not least of which is the potential for the plan to backfire and accelerate the inevitable explosion of Yellowstone... But, that explosive eruption is not just a possibility, or something that may potentially happen. It is something that will, without fail, occur at some stage. When it inevitably does occur, the damage that it will do, which has been detailed repeatedly on these boards and gone over at enormous length, will come to pass. This will happen if we do nothing, for an absolute certainty, if left to its own devices.

To put that into some perspective, we are talking about an event that will up end everything from the chemical composition of our atmosphere in the short term, to altering crop growth cycles and growing seasons in length and timing, changing the temperature dynamic in the atmosphere, as well as causing an explosion that will shred unimaginable amounts of land, cost the lives of millions before you can say "Oh daaaaayum!" and, basically decapitate the American continent entirely. This will be an event on a par with a comet impact, something we simply have not seen since civilisation really kicked off. It will make Pompeii look like an M80 firecracker, make even the mighty Krakatoa eruption seem like an irrelevance in comparison. Its more than likely that if it kicks off as a detonation first, the blast alone will travel around the world multiple times. It will rain brimstone and fire for thousands of miles in every direction, as well as launching ash deposits in vast quantity, into the air.

We have seen devastation from volcanic eruptions before. Mt. St Helens, various eruptions in nations and on islands in the Ring of Fire. We see these tiny islands populations running for their lives, and say to ourselves "Well, I feel bad for these people, and I want to help, but damn... I am glad I don't live there!!". The detonation of Yellowstone is not an event that we will be able to say this of, because its effects will be felt all over the world. Much smaller explosions than Yellowstone is brewing up to, have had global effects, but nothing like Yellowstone has happened in recorded human history. There was no civilisation, last time something like Yellowstone happened, so we are way out in the weeds when it comes to the threat posed. The Thera eruption was much smaller than Yellowstone will be. It was also so powerful that you would have to have between 40 and 50 Tsar Bombas, that is forty or fifty of the largest nukes ever tested, to replicate the force of the Thera eruption.

So, before you go off at NASA for thinking about mitigation for this event, you need to understand, that Yellowstone will go off without the effort concerned, that when it does America and everyone in it will be at best living in a kind of Mad Max wasteland, and at worst be VERY dead, and the globe will suffer inability to reliably produce crops as a result of rapid and extreme atmospheric disturbance as a result of the depositing of unimaginable quantities of earth and rock being blasted into the air and staying there. I cannot stress enough, that this could well be an extinction level threat to the species, depending on how it shakes out. Doing nothing means that this will come to pass at some stage. Waiting it out won't help, doing nothing GUARANTEES doom. Doing something merely comes with a percentile risk, reducing the potential for a mega eruption from certain, to merely possible. From the perspective of the species as a whole, and from the perspective of its survival for millions of years to come, doing something is more preferable than doing nothing.

This is NOT the same as fracking, not in the slightest. Fracking is meant PURELY to make money and causes ENORMOUS damage to the environment, the nature of which will likely only become clear in a little while, once the radioactive materials and the toxic chemicals that come up in the waste water, have found their way into the groundwater. Its a profit making exercise at the expense of habitats, ecologies and the health and safety of human beings exposed to the by products.

The NASA proposition is about saving lives, and may be a money maker as a by product. There is a massive difference in inspiration, method and motivation, and comparing them is no more sensible than comparing apples to oranges.

This plan may not be real, it may be a hoax, but SOMETHING needs doing at some stage, and we have to prepare for that.

edit on 9-10-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2018 by TrueBrit because: added detail.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join