It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nerd alert! Fantasy grounds virtual table top.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Hey all. A confession. I’m a nerd. Mtg, d&d, pathfinder.
So I moved away from my group of friends that I played with a couple years ago. Lately we decided that we all wanted to play. We decided to go with fantasy grounds as a virtual table top.
My question. Has anyone on here ever played using fantasy grounds? We each got a standard membership and we have messed around a little bit. But if anyone has any tips or tricks it would be appreciated. My biggest issue right now is resizing the windows in the program so I can still see the map.
edit on 8-10-2018 by Somethingsamiss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Nerds unite, thanks havn't tried this before. Maybe something others are interested in on game night.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake
Here’s the link

www.fantasygrounds.com...

We should have a nerd forum.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Currently using Fantasy Grounds.

To move / resize the windows, right click the pane, there is a symbol that looks like a padlock, press it.
This 'Unlocks' it.
You can then move and resize.
Relock it later as there are a few querks with FG... One being Right Mouse / Middle Mouse move panes when held & dragged.

Can get quite annoying.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss
I haven't used Fantasy Grounds but I've used Roll20. I don't know much about the resizing thing.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Our dm uses it. But we play together and us it for the maps. We have his laptop hooked up to a projector that project on the wall. If we all wanted to use our laptops too, we could move our own tokens. But some of use decided not to use it. We are still trying to figure everything out about it though. I've seen some good YouTube tutes on it also.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sovaka

So you like it? It seems pretty in depth. I really like how you can just drag and drop items onto your character sheets.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=23845428]Skid Mark[/post/
We were thinking of using roll 20. But then our dm found fg. I did kind of like how roll 20 was browser based though.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 9-10-2018 by Somethingsamiss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

That’s actually a really cool idea. Although I do the minis.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
a reply to: Sovaka

So you like it? It seems pretty in depth. I really like how you can just drag and drop items onto your character sheets.

Yeah I find it a lot better than roll 20. Tho I liked their 2d mapping/lighting system.

Overall FG is better.
Easy character leveling with drag and drop nature from the modules.
The module system itself.
The combat tracker makes combat 100x simpler and more fluid.
Dragging combat rolls onto correctly setup tokens will auto dc check and let you know if youve hit, miss or crit.
Subsequent damage rolls the auto apply crit dmg if needed and deducts the hp from the mob.

There is a lot to it.
There are some aspects that need enhancing on the dm side like mapping with visible/unseen area options.

As another poster mentioned, there are a lot of great tutorials on YT.

new topics

top topics

join