It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 21

page: 165
<< 162  163  164    166  167  168 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

What game you into at the moment?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer
Well, I tried out your recipe last night:
3 mars bars, cut into pieces and placed in a pyrex bowl, ready for melting in the microwave oven:

After the bars are melted, I then gave them a good stir:

Note: I found the "low" setting on my microwave was too low, so I used its "defrost" setting. 4 to 5 mins should be ok. Just make sure your mars bars are fully melted and even "bubbling" a little. You need the mixture hot, so it doesn't cool down too fast while adding the cream and whiskey.

Then I slowly added the cream, stirring it in each time before adding more:

Note: I used the tub of cream straight from the fridge. This was not ideal as it cooled down the mars bar mix too fast and I got some clumps of the bars forming. I think if you let the cream reach room temperature first you'll get a better result. It'll also be sweeter.

Finally I added half a bottle of Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey. Again, add it slowly and mix it well.

Note: I had to do this pic after I'd actually finished pouring. Try holding half a bottle of whiskey in one hand while stirring a bowl, while also holding a camera. I wouldn't want to risk it, as something is bound to fall.

The finished mixture:

Let it cool a little then transfer to the fridge, still in the bowl. Once cooled properly, carefully pour into a suitable bottle:

Verdict: it looks and tastes very close to the real thing. I had a friend over last night to help with taste-testing and he agreed. However we both felt it was a little too strong on the whisky and not quite as sweet as the real thing, so I added a little more cream -- only about 30 cc. That helped. There's also the fact that we lost about 1/2 a mars bar due to some of the mix going hard when I added the cream. So, if you make sure your mars bars are properly bubbling and you use room-temp. cream, you should get a much better result than I did.

I just tested it again today. (Make sure to shake the bottle first, so it's all well mixed!) Letting it sit overnight in the fridge certainly improves the flavour. It knocks some of the sharpness off the whiskey and the creaminess is more apparent. I would guess that very few non-expert people could tell that it was home-made.

Overall? It's fun and easy to make, and here at least, it also works out cheaper than the real Bailey's. So, I'd recommend it.

edit on 15/11/18 by JustMike because: I cleaned up the text a bit.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustMike

I just tested it again today.

JK..

Looks delicious...

Peace

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

B R A V O !

I hope that you brought enough for everyone in the shed to try?

Great photo walk-through too! Thanks Mike.

Glad that you tried it AND that you seem to have enjoyed it too!

G

PS - The best bit is tweaking the mix to suit your own taste! Enjoy!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

And yes, it is delicious. Definitely give it a try if (a) you drink (or you have someone around who can taste-test it for you if you don't) and (b ) if you have the ingredients. If I can make a batch without messing it up too badly, I'm sure many others here can do better.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I hope that you brought enough for everyone in the shed to try?

Oh, for sure. That batch was just a little try-out.
The next batch was 2 dozen mars bars (ie a whole box), 8 tubs of cream, and 4 std bottles of whiskey. Serve with

and it should be enough to keep most shed visitors happy for an hour or two!

edit on 15/11/18 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: Sheye
The "My life is ruined" girl reminds me of my 2 year old niece. If she doesn't get her way she says, "I'm dying! I'm dying!"

😆.. kids can get so overly dramatic. ( ok .. adults can too at times )

My favourite was the little boy who was crying because his poops are his friends and he didn’t want mom to flush them.😆

Then the kid at the end who is reading the title of one hundred and one dalmations as LOL dalmations. That was cute.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: JustMike
Well done Mike !! 👍🏼

Looks delicious.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Looks like we have a Barman in the house! I'll only have a cookie though, I'm not a great fan of mixing alcohol with foodstuffs. (It just tastes weird to me.) I've always been picky.

ETA Food with a little alcohol is ok. Steak and ale pie, beef and beer stew, some sherry in the trifle (I don't like trifle) or a little Madeira in the Madeira cake. I don't like food in my alcohol. It gets in the way.

edit on 15/11/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

For me, the only food that tastes ok with alcohol is chocolate

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

For me, the only food that tastes ok with alcohol is chocolate

Anything is good with chocolate. LOL

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

OMG Gordi, that story was just amazing! Just...WOW!!!!

Thank you so much for that enchanting Shed story! I was deeply touched by it.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

That was a beautiful story Gordy...

You know it almost resembles this place I know...

*quietly sit back down to look at the unique aura of the Shed

Peace

Thank you for being a part of our family in here OM!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
Hmm, so we are now at the 21st eh?

Hehe

Good to see everyone is still around.

Well Hello Swanne! Good to see you! Have you been out lurking in the bushes all this time?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Great pics Mike!

Hello to everyone who was here earlier!

I'm cooking a turkey today because I will be going out next week and I've been dying for turkey. It is so heavy to pick up and I got a small one.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I just finished getting caught up...really enjoyed everybody's posts.
Great story from Gordi...awesome booze-making tutorial from Mike...videos, comments, etc. from everybody.
You guys are the best.

I went out to do a couple of errands...then suddenly we are having our first snow storm today.
The drive home was scary, accidents and detours...me with white knuckles and no snow tires.

Anyways, I plan on staying tucked in for the night now.
Will be around if anyone wants to do some pixie shots with me and chat.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Turkey (Night is cooking), snow and pixie shots. Who wouldn't want to stay home? (I like snow for one day. Enough already!)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Hello Jacy, I meant to tell you that I hope you get your car worked on soon due to the weather but if looks like the weather got there first. You have a couple of emails from me as well.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I can practically smell the turkey cooking! Yum!

I'm not a big fan of snow anymore...I really hate driving in it. I enjoyed it when the kids were little and we would make snowmen and snow forts, but those days are over.
Still, it's pretty to look at out the window.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

Oh hey hunny! I have mail? Thank you!

Hmm...now that I can see your avatar it must seem weird that I call you "Blue". It's like how we give our pets nicknames, lol...you are forever "Blue Dude" now.
How are you doing today? I'm sorry I crashed last night and missed out on the videos you posted. I just watched them when I was getting caught up. (Thank you for sharing)

new topics

top topics

<< 162  163  164    166  167  168 >>

join