It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 21

page: 150
<< 147  148  149    151  152  153 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I have no idea how he does it either but I hope (and suspect) that he managed to sleight-of-hand the serviette full of tobacco and ash away...

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Ohh...the power of suggestion. I just went out for a smoke, lol.

There is no way I could suck back one lit cigarette into my mouth, never mind 4 or 5.
I wonder how badly he hurt himself before he perfected it?

Don't even get me started on the napkins/paper! Blech!

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Me too lol.

I was standing at the fire exit last night and all of a sudden there's a young guy (18-20) standing in front of me.

"Wow! We thought it was weird the the door to the library was open, what's up?"

"Not much, just smoking because we aren't allowed to smoke inside."

"But what are you doing in there?"

"I live here."

"In a library...?"

"Yup, it is now "temporary housing." No need to worry, it's all safe here, I didn't just break in."

I guess they meant it well but I wasn't really ready for a long explanation at 3 am or so.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

So your housing is in an old library? Did they make renovations to turn it into individual housing units?

We have a couple of old factories in town here that they have made into low income housing. There is another one being renovated now but it's no where near done...and already has a 6 year waiting list.

Lots of homeless people but the only new houses being built are all executive homes with triple garages.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Hehe, they never renovate with temporary housing. It is supplied as is. I live on the office side of the building. (The library side (think single large open space, huge!) is for 2 people.) There are seven rooms here, one per resident and we had to fit our own locks to the doors. The only thing the rental company places is a temporary shower unit because offices do not have showers. It's made of plastic, but functional.

This is the last place before becoming homeless basically so I don't complain and hope they have a free place in a different building when the building eventually gets sold. It will either be demolished or gutted on the inside in order to fit whatever new purpose the potential new owner wants it for. My guess is they will make some shops out of it because the rest of the street is shops too. We've been here a year and a a half, I guess the clock is ticking slowly.

Holland has a shortage of housing too. They use it to keep demand and prices high and supply low.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I'm sorry. That's frightening.

Do they have low income or geared to income places in Holland?
We have them here although not nearly enough for the people who need them.

I'm in a small town, less than 40,000 people...nothing special about it here. But for some reason the rents have gone sky high. A 1-bedroom apartment is $1000 and up, usually heat and hydro are extra. (2-bedrooms are about $1500+).

People on disability or government assistance get less than $700/month to live on...so obviously that's not working out very well.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Don't worry, I'm now in my seventh year of temporary housing and my 4th building.

They do have "cheaper" apartments but again supply is limited. If you earn more than a certain amount you can't get the cheaper apartments but the waiting list can be long depending on location. I want to get out of this city, the pro's don't weigh up to the con's imho. On the plus side I live in one of the better neighbourhoods so very few problems with crime and shady figures hanging round.

The Dutch have a complicated welfare system but you will be able to exist and if you have some kind of disability they will take that into account, eventually. Of course, I forgot to put myself on the waiting list six years ago. Ah well, maybe soon.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I understand about being in a good neighbourhood. I am too (for now).
I'm afraid of having to move and take whatever place I can get because I'm not tough or street smart.

There is such a stigma to being poor. Most of the people I know on disability got hurt at work or have health problems. They (we) aren't lowlifes, but that's how some people treat them (us).
A sad reflection of our current society.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

When I painted my hair bright neon colours it suddenly turned "social experiment" very quickly. It was funny as hell. Bear in mind I was 40 plus at the time and I didn't look a day under 45 lol!

Some people just stared, some people stared even more and every once in a while I'd feel a penetrating stare. Someone is staring because they don't understand. I can see the thoughts forming in their eyes and mind.

"He's on drugs...he's crazy...he's...something else even worse..."

I just walked around smiling enjoying it all. As for street smart, I'm on my way I guess but I've lived in some rough places along the way. Just look like you belong there and it usually works out okay. Holland is generally a chill place to live. I've never had a problem in all the time (26 years) I've been living here.

/me touches wood.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Lol...I am always 'attracted to' (not romantically) people who look different.
I think it takes a lot of guts to be an individual in a society that judges you by your appearance.

I don't really look or dress 'appropriately' for my age I suppose...and am always amused when somebody comments on my long hair or outfit, by saying "...but you can get away with it".

I wonder if they mean...it suits me?...or I am brave enough to be different?...or it's actually a thinly veiled judgement/insult.

In a Vanilla world I guess I prefer Rocky Road.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

/me touches wood.

Do you mean "knocks on wood?" That sounds kind of wrong lol.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

No. It is an English expression and gesture (you must touch a piece of real wood even if it is a table, chair, door-frame etc. Wood brings luck when touched after making a truthful statement.) I guess it's a English thing.

"It's never happened to me yet, touch wood!" /person touches wood...
edit on 11/11/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

So basically I'm ugly and undesirable. Noted!

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

ugly and undesirable. Noted!

Did someone call me?

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

So basically I'm ugly and undesirable. Noted!

Hey!! That is not what I meant! (I was just trying not to sound 'creepy' lol)

Hi Skid and Autorico!

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Just having a laugh, and laughing beats crying. Well, sometimes you can laugh so hard that you cry too but still. Moving swiftly on, I believe it is time to smoke again, but not like a magician with a nicotine addiction.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hello everyone! Only on my first cup of coffee and still sleepy, but I'm here...sort of.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

ugly and undesirable. Noted!

Did someone call me?

I think my smartphone is spying on me...

Umm. Can I get a hug? I'll pay you back later. By the way, what was up with all the Mods "visiting"? Are we under surveillance? I haven't received a reprimand in months I tell you! No Sir!

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I was reading along about the homeless discussion and low cost housing where you have to be on a list for years. That seems to be rising everywhere and is heart breaking. People shouldn't be looked down upon and more needs to be done to help people.

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hi sweetie! We've been waiting for you, lol. I just made a pot of coffee here...help yourself.

I think me and Light have synchronized our smoke breaks.

top topics

<< 147  148  149    151  152  153 >>

join