It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook wants people to invite its cameras into their homes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
So, I have to ask, who wants to intentionally let people spy on your every move and allow open microphones and now cameras in their homes? I mean we already have cell phones listening but wow, how about letting facebook watch you as well!

www.yahoo.com...

Facebook is launching the first electronic device to bear its brand, a screen and camera-equipped gadget intended to make video calls easier and more intuitive.

But it's unclear if people will open their homes to an internet-connected camera sold by a company with a questionable track record on protecting user privacy.

Twitter users were quick to point to Facebook's privacy fallacies and what they saw as the company's impudence in asking people to trust it with a camera called Portal inside their homes. Some compared it to the always-on, always-watching telescreens in George Orwell's dystopian novel "1984." Others saw the gadget's appeal — but not if it comes from Facebook.

"This is going to gain (Facebook) not only a place in the smart home, but also data they may not have been able to collect before or understand before," said ABI Research analyst Jonathan Collins. This includes people's location, activities and interests — "all the reasons companies want to get into the home."

edit on 8-10-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I hate facebook.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Alexa is already spying in homes.
It was only a matter of time until they found a way to let people record video constantly in homes as well.

People let this happen. That's what is sad.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Sadly, there are probably quite a few that would let that happen. There's probably even more that will watch them. I'm so glad I quit Facebook long ago.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I've never had face book and never will!

Camera's are out of the question, stalkers biggest dream come true, your real name, location, where you work, and now what your home looks like inside
. . . absolutely not!!!!

They're scary enough.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I can see people thinking they are a TV type show. I bet it will have ads just like regular television.

We are approaching Idiocracy.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

There are definitely people who crave that kind of attention. Look at how people use Instagram. It is like their personal stage.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Google nest cameras?
Arlo?
I'm sure there are a half dozen others doing the same - video/audio of your home streamed to the internet.

We're already generally forced to spend most of our waking lives away from home to feed the broken economic system. Those who can't cut it (who can live on minimum wage?) are encouraged to go to crime. Now it's easy for people with jobs to afford cameras that alert them via cellphone if there is unwanted activity in their homes.

None of this is good - but I can see why it's happening.
I could use cameras in the yard- but I don't exactly need video of my pets being murdered. I already know the problem, but all of the easy solutions are outlawed... they're not giving us much room to breathe, eh?

Give up all of your personal data to the money, or never know what happened when your home was invaded and your loved ones/things destroyed.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

There are definitely people who crave that kind of attention. Look at how people use Instagram. It is like their personal stage.

I think it will be a big draw for certain people. FB will love it.

As someone mentioned, might open up interest in crime.

I be passing on it.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well, obviously, I found this forum years ago because I am (and have always been) a "paranoid tinfoil hat wearer" so I don't have to tell you what I think of this.

HOWEVER...........

There is a point at which you just can't argue with people who simply do not value their privacy. You can't reason with that kind of stupidity. And it IS stupidity. Not just ignorance. There's no excuse these days to be ignorant of the past unless you're just plain stupid, too lazy to read or too lazy to watch a documentary or something.

I suppose you could say that it could be a failure of imagination. I don't know. Maybe some people are just too thick to read history and imagine what might happen in the future with the same ideas and new technologies (in a future where there is likely to be more of it than ever before).

So, whatever the reasons or excuses or whatever, what can you say to this kind of obstinate recklessness becoming mainstream? Not a whole lot. The best you can do is make sure everyone hears what you have to say about privacy and what this could mean for their future. Beyond that, if they persist on their reckless path, I guess you just have to let them and hope that your life will reach it's natural end before they have to learn the hard way (And drag you along for the bumpy ride in the twilight of your life).

As much as we do care about the future, many of us on this forum likely will not be here more than another 20-30 years. Beyond that, whatever happens will be irrelevant to us. These kids running around with their smartphones and publishing all their lives on the internet and making fun of anyone who tries to warn them are making their own future and they'll have to live in it when it gets here.

Now if YOU personally just happen to be 15 years old right now (and you share my "paranoia"), they I'd worry. Because, hey. I'm 45 years old with multiple health issues that will probably kill me within 10 years (if not sooner). It's not going to be my future unless some crazy twist of fate curses me to live until I'm 80-90 or something. That's unlikely.

If you're under 20, you will likely have at least 50 years to live in whatever this turns into.

So, anyway. If people have to learn the hard way, you might as well let them learn their lesson. Most of the previous generations did learn some very hard lessons. If you look back at (say) the year 1900. The average person living in that time had basically no way of knowing anything that didn't come through official channels. Those people were in the #ing dark with half a century of hell in front of them. And they didn't know.

edit on 8-10-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I wonder when it'll be mandated.

I mean, for your safety and security of course.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I never thought I'd say this but I miss Tom.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

The more people go with it, the more business and government whittle away at privacy.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well this thread makes me think of "1984". Just another step closer. Between public cameras everywhere, Ring Video Doorbell, tv's and dishwashers that spy on us, Alexia and the like, Skype, the influx of reality tv shows to get us used to being seen and watching others 24/7, data mining our phone conversations, texts and messages, FB video streaming is just another nail in the coffin.

The only people who see something wrong with this see something wrong with all the rest. Those who are conditioned to the complete transparency of their lives via social media and the like won't care.

The biggest issue to me is whether one can control the amount of sharing one does because it may or may not be voluntary. And we all now know that we have been secretly spied on in several ways the past several years with the integration of modern technology. I choose to use minimal social media and block any avenues of video that I can. Short of moving off grid, I can't get more out of reach. I hope I have the option to control what is shared on my behalf.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I agree with your sentiments to some degree but it isn't Idiocracy, it's Technocracy.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I agree with your sentiments to some degree but it isn't Idiocracy, it's Technocracy.

Maybe, but wait until we see what people do and become.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
People have been letting cameras into their homes long, long before this. Any of those home security systems are watching 24/7 now with cameras all over so you can check on your house via your cellphone when you're not home. Alexa, it's competitors, and now Fakebook are just the natural evolution to try and con people with smarter interactivity like it's somehow better because you can ask it questions.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Mark the narc

Using his ugly face and probably fake name to usher in a techno police-state seperate from the protections granted by the Constitution, by pretending they are a company and not a bunch of control-freak spooks.

Where do I sign up?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Precisely!

I came to this conclusion several years ago. Not having ever heard this term before in my life, I was feverishly searching online for something that accurately described what I was seeing and I finally happened upon this term. Of course, I don't think it's the whole story but technocracy is the foundation of it all.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
We got two "free" Google home devices from Amazon. Wife loves them. I've already told Google who I'm voting for. Waiting for a knock on my door from the liberal Gestapo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join