It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida boy accused of assault with rubber band

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I appologize, I know this as well. Was just watching the news and I have that poor 7 year old and his mom that was killed on the brain.

Ill edit it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I appologize, I know this as well. Was just watching the news and I have that poor 7 year old and his mom that was killed on the brain.

Ill edit it.

Dont sweat it Skippytjc. After watching news like that, its a wonder you didn't delve a little farther in the rant. I dont even watch my local news anymore because Im tired of hearing about this weeks latest murders.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
The district said a Level 4 offense includes the use of any object or instrument used to make a threat or inflict harm, including a rubber band.

I think that's the funniest part.

This is really a sad story, it's only a rubber band.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nintendospy

The district said a Level 4 offense includes the use of any object or instrument used to make a threat or inflict harm, including a rubber band.

I think that's the funniest part.

This is really a sad story, it's only a rubber band.

Yes, "Zero" tolerance of agressive behavor unless you want an "abortion". Then "murder" of the unborn is OK without even notifying the parents.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I say forget the little bastard, where does he get off flicking a rubber band at a teacher? Give him ten days of inschool suspension tho, not actually charge him and prosecute him in the legal system. Heck give him a paddling in class too.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

That’s what’s wrong with society today? You aren’t allowed to punish anybody and you are virtually required by law to believe 100% of what your kids tell you. 13 year olds lie, fact. Especially when their butt is on the line.
[edit on 24-2-2005 by skippytjc]

The problem isn't that he was punished for shooting a rubber band at his teacher (I agree that that's what he probably did), but the degree to which he was punished.

Detention would be fine, in-school suspension for a day or two would be fine, even sessions with the school counselor to deal with his "aggressive tendencies" would be fine (Not that he necessarily needs them, but if this were to take place after school as a type of detention it would be decidedly un-fun.) But a two week suspension and possible expulsion, that's excessive.

The problem with excessive punishment and zero-tolerance policies is that they foster resentment, not respect, for the rules. All this kid will learn from the experience is that his teacher is a jerk and the local school board doesn't know how to back down. He may, at best, learn to be afraid of authority, but fear doesn't equal respect.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whiskey Jack

Detention would be fine, in-school suspension for a day or two would be fine

In-school suspension does nothing. In fact I believe that ISS is one of the stupidest forms of punishment ever. I've had it once, all it does is keep you from your classes to sit in a room with other people that are in ISS.

It was too harsh of punishment for shooting a rubberband at a teacher but then you also have to add in that if he got any less how many others would repeat it? Not many teenagers like the thought of being expelled.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Kids are not allowed to be kids anymore, while heavy adult values and political correctness are shoveled down everyone's throats.

So the whole thing IMHO is putting everyone into a state of panic, and from that panic emerges a this ill conceived Stockholm Syndrome.

Held hostage against our better judgment, we fail to protest no, we cheer the idiot school and deride the student. A rubber band for crying out loud, is now equated with Columbine. Well anything to get your kids into their system, so they can compete with Chinese slave labor doing hotel reservations or something for fat cats getting fatter.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This happened in my middle school when I was in middle school. People would give those rubber band attacks in the back of the neck when you arent looking, and alot of people got suspended.

This happened in high school too.

It is kind of assault, those things sting like hell. And really it is nothing to promote kids to do to each other.

So what is the point of your post horacid? I read alot of your posts and people like you need to be put down for my sanity.

Would you care for me to demonstrate a rubber band attacK? I will have you crying like a baby.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Just to clarify.

Assault would be the threat to shoot the rubber band.
Assault does not require any action at all other than to make a credible threat.

Battery is when you follow through with the threat.

Technically if this child did threaten to shoot the teacher with the rubber band, he did in fact assault her. If he shot her with the rubber band then he would have in fact commited battery.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Now that shooting rubber bands & spitting on authority figures penalities have become the same as hitting them with a baseball bat or shooting them with a gun people will soon figure out that they might as well use a bat or gun if the penality is going to be the same.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Look, don't be fooled, women are just a big "pigs" as men. Fact. many, many, years of personal experience. [puts on fully lined asbestos suite]

My many years of personal experience has taught me that women are in fact, much bigger pigs than men.

We just know how to hide it better.

You can take of your asbestos suit now, I don't think you'll find many women here will challenge your statement; and you must be getting very warm in there.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ritual

So what is the point of your post horacid? I read alot of your posts and people like you need to be put down for my sanity.

Would you care for me to demonstrate a rubber band attacK? I will have you crying like a baby.

The point is this, it would seem that somewhere during "teacher school" someone drains all common sense out of the brains of their victims. The education community gets all caught up in "process" such as "Zero" tolerance and social engineering based on "feelings" rather that the biz of teaching. There should be no "molding" going on, just teahing the basics. Litterally Reading, Writing, and Arithmatic. The real "History" and "Civics". Not how little johnny's ancestors were "opressed".

Teaching has become such and "agenda" based scam.......Educrates are demonstrating absolute "control" with such linacy........Don't you dare cross us "we" are theaching johnny "what and how" to think. They should be providing the tools and letting johnny learn to think for himself.........

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Dr. Horacid you pretty much summed it up good. The teachers and the admin. seem to have the intellegence of a knat. Now I could understand if he shot or even attempted to shoot it at her. But for just tossing it like you stated, didn't warrent such an overkill in punishment let alone the national attention it has generated. Some of the teachers in this country take it upon themselves to be judge, and jury. I actually wonder what would have happened if he actually did shoot it at the teacher. Judging by the article in question, he might have been subjected to a full cavity body search and flogged in public. The so called teachers on the elementry level are acting like children themselves.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Dear lord,

I saw guys take punches at the principal in my school and the most ever happened was a weeks suspension. (the principal deserved it)

He was hated...oh god how he was hated....

This kid might be messed up but jeeeees..

I once saw him pick up a desk with the kid in it, and throw it out in the hallway

Look at the teacher too, i say.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Geez--My sister was a 6th through 8th grade art teacher at a pretty bad NYC public school and she has had her hair set on fire, had the skin on her hand stripped off when she was super-glued to a doorknob, and has been physically assaulted by students (fortunately there were no injuries--my sis is a second degree black belt.)

I wonder what kind of punishment these kids would get if they were in Orange County, Fl--the electric chair??

Inthe case of my sister, mild punishments were doled out to placate indignant parents that couldn't believe that their kid did something so bad. The principal said that he was afraid of school district hassles and legal battles and threatened my sister with an unsatisfactory rating if she pursued action with the teachers union. Although she was outraged, she was trying to transfer to a better school and a "U" rating would have prevented it, so she said nothing. Many teachers at her school were faced with similar situations--either shut up or the principal would go after you. The result was a discipline nightmare, where kids felt that they could get away with anything and teachers had their hands tied.

I agree that this kind of punishment for a "rubber-banding" is extreme (this kind of thing happened to my sister everyday!), but it points to a bigger problem. There is a great deal of confusion of how to balance practical discipline of kids and protection of teachers, but this is a fight between policymakers at the Board of Ed and parents. Teachers are caught in the middle--they are damned if they are too authoritarian and damned if they are too lenient. While teachers need to be skilled on how to control a class, this area gets murky when faced with kids that aren't taught how to behave in social situations at home, risk averse school officials, and parents that threaten lawsuits if their kids are disciplined in any way.

My sister was afraid that she pushed a 6 ft tall, 200 lb 8th grade boy away too forcefully when he grabbed her arm and tried to put his hand around her neck (although my sister can defend herself, she is a petite 5'3" & a size 4) when she reprimanded him for trying to walk out of the room during a lesson. She was worried that she was going to be fired and that there was going to be a lawsuit. Heaven forbid a teacher even yells too loudly or gives a punishment assignment and the principal will get phone calls about emotional abuse and unfair treatment. The principal just wants the calls to stop and it is easier to change the teacher's behavior rather than educate the parents on how to raise their kids.

And it isn't just the principal at my sister's school--a few of my friends who are teachers have complained about how they receive little support from their principals and their hands are tied when it comes to disciplining students. One of my best friends was disciplined with a "U" rating because she held back a 3rd grader who couldn't read and acted out in class, resulting in the Board of Ed being socked with a discrimination lawsuit because the mother felt that her child was being singled out because he was Wiccan. The child clearly wasn't on par with other students, failed tests, etc., but to placate the mother, the teacher had to be punished.

BTW, my friend didn't even know that the child was Wiccan--she just knew that he couldn't read and shouldn't be promoted. She was advised to promote all of her students, regardless of whether they can read, to prevent further lawsuits and further disciplinary action. And people wonder why you have high school students that graduate as illiterates...

I think that NYC seems to have taken a more liberal view, but based on the stories coming out of Florida, it seems as if kids who misbehave are perceived as being criminals in the making. Perhaps this strategy is to force the issue back on the parents, but it does seem to be a bit extreme. Teachers can't fix problems that need to be dealt with at home--and they shouldn't. But I am not sure that barring kids with disiplinary problems from school solves the problem either, especially if the issue may be with the parents. Perhaps a reasonable punishment and mandatory family counciling in the case of repeat offenders is a better solution--but teachers can't make these decisions--or even suggest them.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hell, my mom gave my teachers the right to beat me to keep me in line, and guess what? i stayed in line.(You get a 350lbs 6'4 Ag teacher with your moms permission to beat you to keep you in line, you stay in line)

But nowadays a teacher can't fail a kid without geting in trouble. Old case, HS teacher failed about 20 kids on a big paper for cheating, when all 20 turned in the same paper. What happens? She is fired. The 10th graders are given passing grades. BS, I wouldn't have done that for the fear of a meter stick across the .. Especially those metal ones.....

My mom realized that "timeout" works about as well as telling them good job. "Oh, you burned the school down? Go sit in time out for 10 whole minutes!" No, my case? "You disrupted the class with laughing at the teacher when she went on about how to find the area of round triangles?(I hated math, only there do you need unreal numbers to find the area of unreal shapes that CAN'T EXIST!) Whap, don't do it again." And I wouldn't.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whiskey Jack

That’s what’s wrong with society today? You aren’t allowed to punish anybody and you are virtually required by law to believe 100% of what your kids tell you. 13 year olds lie, fact. Especially when their butt is on the line.
[edit on 24-2-2005 by skippytjc]

The problem isn't that he was punished for shooting a rubber band at his teacher (I agree that that's what he probably did), but the degree to which he was punished.

Detention would be fine, in-school suspension for a day or two would be fine, even sessions with the school counselor to deal with his "aggressive tendencies" would be fine (Not that he necessarily needs them, but if this were to take place after school as a type of detention it would be decidedly un-fun.) But a two week suspension and possible expulsion, that's excessive.

The problem with excessive punishment and zero-tolerance policies is that they foster resentment, not respect, for the rules. All this kid will learn from the experience is that his teacher is a jerk and the local school board doesn't know how to back down. He may, at best, learn to be afraid of authority, but fear doesn't equal respect.

I cant really agree with the "see the school counselor" part, I've been out of High School for a few years now and most of the counselors I can recall havent really cared a bit about students, but maybe thats a discussion for another place, anywho thats my two cents.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   
LOL that is so stupid...A rubber band?

One time when I was in school a bunch of us filled our pockets with rocks from the school driveway. Whenever the teacher turned his back to the board we would throw them at him and the black board...LOL When he turned back we would just be sitting there like nothing had happened.
One time we moved a whole classroom of desks and chairs outside during break time. We left then came back and our teacher had no clue where our desks went.
We used to hide beer in the bushes near the school and drink during break. One kid took a pee on the floor during class 'cause he couldn't hold it. He didn't P himself, he....you can figure it out
I set fire to a classroom, causing much damage hehe...
A couple of kids from my class broke all the windows out in a classroom.
Temp teachers would refuse to take our class when our regular teachers were away. We would have them running out in tears. If a teacher didn't show within a few minutes we would just go home.
This was an English secondary modern, and my particular class was all boys studying Engineering fundamentals during our last two yrs. Only 2 schools in the country ran that course. We were the last one. This was in the 70's.

Anyway none of us were ever banned from school, caned yes, 6 of the best bent over a chair (that hurts). Put on report. And everyones favorite, detention...Didn't learn much though lol...

Man how things have changed.

AP&F...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
the students previous history is irrelavant, because they made it a 'class 4' offense.
there is no reason for that whatsoever.
none.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join