It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5000 Dollar Fish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
OMG, I love koi and knew they were expensive, but five thousand dollars??? She is gorgeous! This particular fish that the young man purchased is ten years old. Does anyone know the typical age span?

Does anyone own a koi pond? I would love to see pics if you do!

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

That fish is bigger than my dog lol

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

That fish is bigger than my dog lol

Bahaha!

Isn't it beautiful? All I have is a beta fish, tiny and easy to care for.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I thought bettas were supposed to be aggressive. We put one in a small tank with a smaller goldfish and the goldfish ate it

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

We had two koi ponds at our home in Cortlandt, NY.

Unfortunately, raccoons killed and ate the koi, so we emptied them and I threw the Lilli pads from the ponds in our lake.
Apparently, there were koi eggs on those plants...and, now, years later, the lake has many large beautiful koi in it.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Love videos like these. That guy is just so genuinely happy and excited about those koi, heartwarming stuff.

Thanks for helping to put a smile on my face after a looooonnngggg day!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Unfortunately, raccoons killed and ate the koi, so we emptied them and I threw the Lilli pads from the ponds in our lake.
Apparently, there were koi eggs on those plants...and, now, years later, the lake has many large beautiful koi in it.

Wow! Sad about your fish getting eaten by the racoons, but happy the lake is filled with their beautiful babies. What did the fish cost you?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

Yes he was thrilled. The vid made me happy and I figured it would make others happy too.

So glad that you enjoyed it Seaswine!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

My friend has a gigantic Koi pond with many many fish. I asked her the same question, as we live out in the country and it is filled with wildlife. She has Heron statues to scare birds, and a motion activated sprinkler that hits animals with water that come by the pond. It must work because she has tons of huge fish.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Wow! Sad about your fish getting eaten by the racoons, but happy the lake is filled with their beautiful babies. What did the fish cost you?

This was about 20 yrs ago...I don't think they were much more than fifty to a hundred each...A few may have been more expensive.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I would love to see pics! What a great idea to have the statues and motion sensor sprinklers!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Thank you! I was curious. I can't have a koi pond, though I wish I could.

We had someone here in the city that actually got his fish imported from China I believe. I don't remember why exactly. His pond was surrounded by a beautiful garden, statues, benches and comfy lawn chairs. The yard wasn't huge either. He and his wife made good use of what little land they had.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
look into koi pond clubs in your city. There was a club here in my community that would do pond tours. My wife convinced me to go one time some years back, and I thought it was great! We started at one house and that persons pond. Each home would have a table of snacks and drinks and we could just hang out. Then when your ready, they gave us the map to the next home and we would meet more members of the club as we go through each stop.

One issue a particular hobbyist had was eagles, hawks, osprey and even herrons and egrets would go into their pond and eat the fish. So they ended up putting some setup across the lake with like strings or line that kept them from just diving in because of their wingspan. It was a really great tour and we met some really cool people with really nice designs.

Anybody interested should look into their own city that may have similar clubs.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

What a fabulous idea! I wouldn't be able to tour too many homes as I have back problems, but it would be such a joy to see.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
That's a big, pretty fish. Hope it's not too old to breed, for that price.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Koi, arnt they just common carp, like an invading species that destroy native species
$5000, there is a man made pond down the road at the park with heaps that size in
Common carp are an invasive species, can't believe worth $5000, csiro introduced carp herpes to decimate the poppulation in Austarlia

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Koi live a very long time when properly cared for.

One particular one in Japan named Hanako was raised in a very cold environment with long hibernation periods, and it lived up to 226 years.

50 years is far more common, but many reach upward of 100.

But again, all that supposed you care for it properly and nothing happens to it. 25 to 35 years is going to be even more common for the average keeper, and less for people who just buy the fish and throw it into their fish tank without really understanding what it is and needs. It's sad when someone says their koi lived for a few years and had a good long life.
edit on 8-10-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Too many people buy that cute little goldfish and don't understand what they're in for with it. So, when it eats them out of tank and home, they take it out and chuck it into the local waterway instead of doing something responsible with it.

Goldfish aren't the only species that gets into the pet trade that shouldn't be sold to the average hobbyist or first time hobbyist for this same reason.

Most people have no idea what they're getting into with fish.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Wow, that's crazy long..what an exotic fish. I guess it's worth a fair amount. It could be a collector's item of sorts lol A living ornamental fish.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That was very informative. Thank you Ketsuko!

It is a shame when people take in a pet of any kind without being informed about its proper care.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join