It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Senate race: Phil Bredesen goes all in on pledge to break with Democrats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
so it seems even with a rare political endorsement from taylor swift of all people Bredsen is saying hes gonna break away from the democratic party if elected

Democratic Senate hopeful Phil Bredesen is going all out to highlight his pledge to break with his own party as he seeks to win in conservative Tennessee. Bredesen, a popular former governor who is mounting a stiff challenge to Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn, announced Friday that if he were in the Senate, he would vote yes on Kavanaugh despite the sexual assault allegations leveled by professor Christine Blasey Ford. "I believed that Judge Kavanaugh initially met this test, and I was prepared to say 'yes' to his nomination prior to Dr. Ford's coming forward," Bredesen said in a statement. "While the subsequent events make it a much closer call, and I am missing key pieces of information that a sitting Senator has, I'm still a 'yes.'" Bredesen's break with the majority of his party on Kavanaugh highlights the political reality facing Democrats running in red states, who often try to distance themselves from national Democrats in order to appeal to more moderate and conservative voters.
source www.cnn.com...

and it seems his opponent Blackburn is bringing up his history of covering up sexual Harassment in his state which he Denies
www.tennessean.com... ations-while-governor/1433645002/

U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn attacked former Gov. Phil Bredesen’s record handling sexual harassment claims Tuesday during a debate between the two Tennessee candidates for U.S. Senate. After pledging her own support for Brett Kavanaugh, the conservative Supreme Court nominee facing sexual assault allegations, Blackburn turned to Bredesen’s record as governor. The Republican congressman claimed that while Bredesen, a Democrat, was governor, “there was an issue where sexual harassment claims doubled one year,” apparently referring to an Associated Press review that found sexual and workplace harassment reports in Tennessee state government were on track to double in 2005 over the year prior. Bredesen served as Tennessee’s governor for two terms from 2003 to 2011.
and another snippet blackburns claims on bredesen

Blackburn brought up a policy under Bredesen’s administration in which, according to a Tennessean investigation in 2005, investigators’ notes were shredded in at least two sexual harassment allegation cases involving political appointees. “They died in that shredder, and their voices were not heard, and the reason was, ‘Well, this is what happens when men and women are in the workplace together, these issues arise,’ and that is an inappropriate response," Blackburn said.
from same tenneseean soruce

now this could be a trick on bredsen part wanting to waylay conservative fears of voting for him as a red state dem and they could very well be a token attack on his reccord by his opponent blackburn so what say you ats how do you think the Tennessee election is gonna go come midterms?

few more links www.nrsc.org...

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

www.americanthinker.com... older link from 2017

www.politifact.com... politifact rates the claim as half true but says this

Key takeaways • An Associated Press review found that at end of 2005, the number of harassment claims was on track to double from the year before. • We identified about 30 sexual harassment investigations that occurred in state government from 2003 to 2011, while Bredesen served as governor. In two of those cases, a state investigator destroyed interview notes. • Bredesen proposed changing the state open records law to try and shield the identify of accusers who came forward with claims of harassment. He also issued a policy to stop the shredding of any documents related to a sexual harassment investigation. • The Nashville Women’s Political Caucus praised Bredesen at the time for "his open concern for protecting complainants' rights."
so hes blaming it on the state investigator who admittly seems shady as all hell as the article goes on to state but still could look pretty bad to his voters against his female republican challenger

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Democrats don’t care about sexual scandals unless it’s a Republican .

So

If his heart is in that pledge. We need people like him to break the hold the radical left has on the Democratic Party. I would be fine if he didn’t go all in conservative and just ran as a “ regular “ democrat. (It’s been along time since I’ve seen one of those)

When the riff gets to wide people with scruples need to stand up and say enough is enough then pull everyone back from the edge .

I would much rather see Blackburn win. But in case he does it I hope Bredsen is a man of his word .
edit on 8-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

yeah im hoping blackburn wins too we need more strong qualified women in the Republican party as they sadly have been underrepresented in politics for a while now and other branches of the government which is why its kind of cool Kavanaugh just hired an all female clerk team the first in SCOTUS history

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

I'm just curious to see if he'll stick with Republicans or go back to the left if he does win. Hard to trust a democrat.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Female Republicans suffer the same fate as male Republicans . It doesn’t matter to the loony left and their duplicitous moral outrages. All they see is Republican .

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

ah that may be my fault in phrasing it wrongly, i don't think hes Necessarily switching from full on dem to an actual republican but distancing him self from his party by saying he would have voted for Kavanaugh if he had the chance , it seems hes attempting to woo over possible undecided voters to vote for him in a mostly conservative state by kind of implying hes not like the rest of the dems if that makes it more clear. i should have stated distancing him self from standard democratic policy and ideals

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

It seems that all you only see the "loony left" yet are complaining about someone else only seeing "Republican"? Sounds a bit hypocritical, it sounds like the loony left and radical right are two sides of the same coin to me, being guilty of the same things.
edit on 10/8/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I`m voting for Blackburn.Bredeson vetoed some pro gun bills while he was Governor and now he`s pals with Shumer and Bloomberg.Proof enough that we don`t need him and his slimy buddies.And he`s probably lying about voting for Kavanaugh.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
To little to late Phil, your going to get a sore crotch riding the fence. You would never make it as a Republican in Tennessee. Too many, me too women remember you. Some of them have documented proof. As for myself and anyone that I can influence, Marsha Blackburn has earned my vote.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

ah that may be my fault in phrasing it wrongly, i don't think hes Necessarily switching from full on dem to an actual republican but distancing him self from his party by saying he would have voted for Kavanaugh if he had the chance , it seems hes attempting to woo over possible undecided voters to vote for him in a mostly conservative state by kind of implying hes not like the rest of the dems if that makes it more clear. i should have stated distancing him self from standard democratic policy and ideals

Gotcha. Smart move, but the question is will anyone buy it. He's watching the popularity of anti-Kavanaugh dems drop fast all around him.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

each side has their "interesting" people that can often make their respective sides look foolish depending on whats going on i mean we republicans had strom thermond for a while and the dems still have Finestine ,but usualy its the fringe supporters that get their again respective parties a lot more grief then some of the politicians do

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

It seems that all you only see the "loony left" yet are complaining about someone else only seeing "Republican"? Sounds a bit hypocritical, it sounds like the loony left and radical right are two sides of the same coin to me, being guilty of the same things.

They are two sides of the same coin. The only difference I see is the left hasn't determined how low of a bar they want to set in order to maintain power. My main problems with the left are they don't like differing opinions, lower taxes, immigration laws, or due process in our legal system. So until they can fix those areas, I'll be voting for Republicans.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
what are y 'alls thoughts on this republican who's leaving the party.

he's a professer at the us naval war college.

Why I’m Leaving the Republican PartyThe Kavanaugh confirmation fight revealed the GOP to be the party of situational ethics and moral relativism in the name of winning at all costs.

edit on 8-10-2018 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

Exactly that above.

Choosing the other side of aisle on a single issue does not a member of the party make nor a breaker from their own party. And a Republican saying the same as above would be just as untrustworthy to their party's ideals. It's one thing to state one wants to reach across the aisle and work with the other party.

We don't need more DINOs or RINOs. We need people who believe what they stand for and stand for what they believe, who support the interests of citizens of this country first and foremost. I believe he's just trying to stay middle ground to pull in stray votes and hopefully heighten his appeal to voters.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

from your link

Those Republicans will have a point. I am not a prominent Republican nor do I play a major role in Republican politics. What I write here are my views alone. I joined the party in the twilight of Jimmy Carter’s administration, cut my teeth in politics as an aide to a working-class Catholic Democrat in the Massachusetts House, and later served for a year on the personal staff of a senior Republican U.S. senator. Not exactly the profile of a conservative warrior.
so not exactly a sitting politician but im sure some members on each side of the political isle are re thinking party allegiance, him leaving the republicans,the dems have a walk away movement,and some actual people running for office that seem to want to distance themselves from the democratic party

i think a good deal of republicans will label tom a Rhino or never trumper which he seems to be ok with but he has to do what he thinks he needs to do for his own self and at least he took the time to speak up for what he believes in even if not every one will agree with him

more on topic www.cbsnews.com... seems dems are behind in the race in Tennessee and texas but up in AZ and NJ

Tennessee finds Republican Marsha Blackburn with an eight-point lead over Democrat Phil Bredesen, 50-42. Bredesen is a former governor who, having won statewide office before, has given Democrats hope of flipping a red state that Mr. Trump won easily.
so it seems to be shifting to Blackburn

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

Female Republicans suffer the same fate as male Republicans . It doesn’t matter to the loony left and their duplicitous moral outrages. All they see is Republican .

Letting that loony left live in your head rent free. We need a cure for loony left derangement syndrome bad!

I swear you're a broken record. Does calling names help you dehumanize people so you don't feel bad about saying horrible snip all the time?

Lemme get to brass tacks here. YOU are a huge part of the problem. YOU want to fight. YOU want to call names. So... ya.

Love ya brah

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

OK let’s play. Show me conservative groups shutting down liberal speakers from talking like they did to Laura Ingram, Milo Yiannopoulos, Ann Coulter or Ben Shapiro . How about Mark Bird who shot himself to protest Trump. Do you want him teaching your children ?

What about Charles Murray who suffered a concussion for daring to give his opinion at a . Middlebury Collage?

Show me where the alt knights went to liberal rallies to shut down free speech like ANTIFA does ?

I could go on but I’ll wait for you to show me like examples . Hmmmm?

The loony left is a term of endearment compared to what I’d like to really say .

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Every single post of yours has the same exact message. You should just copy and paste. I had a girlfriend just like you. Always pointing out problems and offering no solutions

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I will be voting for Blackburn.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
New Democrat election tactic - promise to switch to Republican after being elected. Bwahahahahaha

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join