It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What parents used to say to kids, shockers or the good ol' days?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Oh, how could I have forgotten?

Another one we heard often:

Straighten up and fly right!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
"We sell you at the market"

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I think we all grew up able to handle bullies and emotional hurt better because our parents were so mean.

Now parents are too nice and kids can't process it when someone is mean to them.

We were seriously afraid for our lives when our parents were mad, now parents are afraid of their children

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Lordy, heard so many of those when I was a kid.

Back then, we rode around in the back of the truck, up in the back window of the car with a pillow and blanket, also curled up in a little nest in the floorboard reading or such. Good times, good times.

"I'll give you something to cry about." Yeah... that's not one I remember fondly at all. That was something my a-hole alcoholic father favored and it usually started after a drunken bout of tease and torment the toddler until I did cry out of frustration, then came the threats. Jerk.

The one I remember the best though was the reminder to be home by dark. That was my childhood in a nutshell. I walked, ran, biked, played baseball at the park and just enjoyed life as a kid from dawn to dusk. Now, kids are kept so close to home and supervision, with nothing but scheduled activities that it's no wonder they spend more time staring at a phone screen.

"Drop that lit Black Cat into that can and see if it punches a hole in it." My uncle was as much a kid as we were, haha. Best days of my life were spent with my uncle and cousins and 4th of July was totally part of it. Also, "Hang on. We're gonna go fast." Us kids were clinging to him as he careened off on his dirt bike.

We all survived, even without the bubble wrap and helicopter parenting. I'm pretty sure todays kids could do so as well.
edit on 10/8/2018 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

My grandpa used to tell me ...............you better be good or you're going to end up on a rock pile. My dad used to tell me............. quit talking like a man with a paper hind end.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Mom - "I'll get THE STICK out!"

(the "stick" was a thick oak yardstick sawed off to 24" which I called the "Sawed-Off Yardstick". That puppy would leave a serious mark...and it hurt BIG-time!!!!). I was intimate with "the stick".

My grandmother used to say, "Boy, go get me a switch..."

A switch is a flexible branch from a bush. Think getting whipped with a literal whip.

Granny's southern charm. I would always pick the biggest switch. Hurt less.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Good old days for me.

Back when we didn't take everything so literal, understood context of what people, including our parents said.

Funny how so many of us 40's up suffered these things that today are so awful, yet the vast majority turned out fine and more together than most young people these days who get triggered over every little thing.

Yeah, give me my childhood over kids todays ones any day. Bit of discipline never hurt any body. (DISCIPLINE NOT ABUSE)
Amazing how we all learned pretty quick right from wrong. How ADHD didn't exist but we had this thing called being hypo and a kick in the pants cured it instantly.

Major factor is also our parents were our parents back then and not our friends.

Kind of dread seeing when the kids of today are running our world of tomorrow.

"I cannot negotiate a peace deal, this Presidents got some Fortnite to stay home and play. YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME TAX PAYERS".......

edit on 9-10-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: this is how the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

These are funny, what I heard as a kid,
"I brought you into this world I can take you out"
" You got hurt? That'll teach you not to do it again"
"Quit crying, stop being a baby"
"Wait until your father comes home"

Yrs, apparently my parents were abusive. (Eyeroll)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

If I complained to my parents that the teacher hit me. I'd get it much worse at home for embarrassing the family and not behaving at school.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Can relate to a few of the sayings on here, some of them must be almost universal.

As a Scottish person, the ones I remember...

"I'll take my hand off you're face!"

"If you don't fix that ugly wee face, it will stay that way when wind changes!"

"Anymore of that smile and ill move it to the other side of you're face!"

"i'll give you something to cry about"

"If they jumped off a bridge would you?"

"Act your age not your shoe size or you'll find out what my shoe size feels like up you're a*se"

"There's nothing wrong with the blo*dy eggs, they will be runny once you put them in you're mouth! Get it down your gub right now or ill adopt you for a starving wane (child) in Africa!"

"Do as I say, not as I do"

"Get outta my sight. Away and take that face for a sh*te"

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   

It also makes me thing of how we have coddled this generation way too much. We need to bring back a little bit
of toughness. We are way way too soft. Now I am not for abuse, but I think the pendulum has swung too far.

Who knows, i know i have done stuff, lots of it, but i did not get to chose when to be born, and you did not too and your parent did see same problems or you would have not had so many reprimands too, i don't get it, i go along as i find a way to go along, you created this world not me, i just try to integrate

I have done things, here some i remember

- My mom entered my room all crazy and yelling
She: "The cops are outside, did you stole the neighbor's car plates?"
Me: I did not, i don't know anything!
She: Really? Then WTF are those things nailed to your wall above your bed!!!
Me: I found them on the street, i thought they were trash
She: Where did you find them?
Me: On the street, in the neighbor's car..
**Whacked in the head

- My mom enters the room screaming like crazy: The cops are outside, what did you dooooooooo!!!
Me: I did nothing, really i did nothing!
Mom: They say a kid got hurt in the courtyard and that you smacked his head on the wall!
Me: I didn't i swear, he just fell off and hit himself!
Mom: People saw you grabbing him on the air and smacking his head, now he's in the hospital!
Me: He fell, i just tripped him because he took my game and pushed me away!
Mom: So he just fell and hit?
Me: Yeah, i tripped him then pushed his back when he was falling down

*** Smacked in the head

- Mom enters the room like crazy, again: The neighbor says you hit her with snow balls in the head again, what DID I TELL YOU ABOUT THAAAAATTT!!!
Me: To not hit her again with snow balls
Mom: And what did you do?
Me: I hit her with snow balls lmfao
**** smacked in the head

- Mom: The neighbor's cat is at the vet, WHAT DID YOU DOOOOOOO!
Me: Really? i don't know!
Mom: He got shot with a bb gun through the window, i knew you should not have that thing here!
Me: I didn't doing it! Stop thinking everything bad is because of me!
Mom: Seriously, they have a video camera and you are there, admit or else, have some shame!
Me: Ok i was trying to shot for the Tv and hit the cat by accident

*** Smacked in the head

Lmfao, why do you think it is different, we're all crazy, you are just different crazy, we all have done weird stuff depending on how we grew up, i was tomboy and still are some times, you are who you are and i bet you have your secrets too and you would not been treated as such without doing things that require it

So anyway, i just want to say that even now i won't allow anyone to touch me or they get hit back, hard. I am not to be abused by anyone, and if it happen in the past well it did but i did go away from whack house a year and a bit ago anyway, so there

We are all the same, you just don't remember you were like me or us, or even worse in some cases

So please don't hate or think bad, i only know what i know so far, and you were same, i can see that, and i won't hide it. Hiding your past to pretned is shame to your soul and heart

Anyway, to clarify "smacked" means just more than that, like actual beat up and a few other things, i just don't want to get into that but i don't think you realize, maybe there are some people that does things different but as far as i know nothing has changed from what you remember, and i don't feel that it is something to be proud about, i moved away from whack house at 16 so there, i feel like i rather live under a bench somewhere than accept to be treated like that, i don't care what else happens.

So no at least for me and friends i know from streets, we were not "coddled" and were treated like crap, causing even more problems. So no, one thing doesn't fix the other

Spasibo
a
-
Sayra < 3
edit on 10-10-2018 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
A lot of people here have talked about their parents yelling or whistling for them. We had a Big, cast iron bell. When you heard the bell, you had to be home within 10 minutes.
The problem?
You could hear the damn thing, the next road over. Out in the country, if you didn't have your bike, you could never make it home in time.
Got into a lot of trouble one summer over that.
Until we figured out the boundaries.

I wonder if my mom still has that thing...

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Don't forget the old "What did you do?" when you came home a bloody mess with ripped toughskins...as opposed to the new generation "what happened to you?"

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: XXXN3O

"Act your age not your shoe size or you'll find out what my shoe size feels like up you're a*se"

This was a favourite of mine.

Play up and the teachers would say act your age not your shoe size, to which the rest of my class would crack up.
Teacher would be surprised and ask what was so funny.

Well from being quite tall at about 9 to 16 years of age my shoe size matched my age each year.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I am thinking of this every now and then since i first read it, it is beautiful.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join