It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What parents used to say to kids, shockers or the good ol' days?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
« Tie those damned shoelaces... if you fall over and break a leg don’t come running to me...! »

RIP June.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Mom might have been right about the tv, we are all near blind now! ha

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   
cause Im your mother was one we heard quite often,

Remember when getting called home to dinner was literally your Mom shouting on the front porch Dinners ready!!!!! that could be heard for 3 to 4 block radius. Dad's was always that dad whistle, and even though 4-5 kids had their Dad's whistle we could always tell the difference.

Remember the starving kids in Asia,India or Africa. Finish your homework right after school so you could go outside

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Remember when getting called home to dinner was literally your Mom shouting on the front porch Dinners ready!!!!! that could be heard for 3 to 4 block radius. Dad's was always that dad whistle, and even though 4-5 kids had their Dad's whistle we could always tell the difference.

Remember the starving kids in Asia,India or Africa. Finish your homework right after school so you could go outside

My dads whistle was not an issue with me...

He didn’t treat me like a dog.

His silence and the leather belt was a bitch though.

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
"If you don't quit crying, I'll really give you something to cry about!"

"You're just cruisin' for a bruisin', aren't you?" (Ket, we had the same mother, didn't we?)

"I brought you in to this world, all I need is ONE reason to take you out of it."

"If you don't knock off the s# and leave your brother alone, I'm going to knock your ass into next week!"

"Don't make me pull this car over, or you'll regret it. (that one usually worked wonders)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
« I’ve told you a thousand times... STOP exxagerating... »

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
'You fall outta that tree and break both yer legs...don't come running to me!'

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If you don't behave im going to ship you
to Timbuktu!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
"i brought you into this world. I can take you out of it."

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I heard so many of these!

We once joined together against mom. (Stupid idea) Told her we could call the police if she used the belt again. Mom: "Go ahead, here is the phone. I will beat you until they get here, and they will take YOU away, not me. PLEASE, CALL THEM!"
And the infamous "this will hurt me more than it's going to hurt you"

How come I was the only one crying? LOL

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I walked home from school in Elementary school. It was maybe 3/4 of a mile.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Kidding aside (well, I was only kidding with some), this one had an interesting result one time...

Mom used to say..."If you don't like it, well...there's the door!" (pointing towards the door).

I got payback twice in my life that I remember, and this was one of those times.

It was a particularly ugly exchange over something I was actually in the right on (one of the rare few times).

Marched straight down to my room, grabbed my pack (which just happened to be packed) and slipped out my bedroom window. Headed out to the forest. It was dark, storming, and snowing and blowing. Hiked off into the woods and made camp. Heh, I was planning on staying for the long haul.

I guess Dad came home when they discovered I wasn't there. Then the SHTF big-time! I could hear them calling, but I wasn't budging, total stealth-mode. We went through all 5 of the stages...(I wasn't budging until we got to Stage 5)

1. Better hope I don't find you because then you're REALLY gonna be in trouble!
2. This ISN'T funny anymore!
3. C'mon, seriously, this isn't funny anymore.
4. Please???
5. Okay look, I'm sorry alright? I was wrong. (BOOM...there it was!) I'll never threaten you with that again, now will you please come home???

Took a while to get there, but we did eventually. My response was "I kinda like it out here, maybe I'll stay".

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I heard so many of these!

We once joined together against mom. (Stupid idea) Told her we could call the police if she used the belt again. Mom: "Go ahead, here is the phone. I will beat you until they get here, and they will take YOU away, not me. PLEASE, CALL THEM!"
And the infamous "this will hurt me more than it's going to hurt you"

How come I was the only one crying? LOL

Many many years ago my grandfather who was a Staff Sergent (drill sergent for our US cousins) in her majesties services once lost his patience with me and came out with the following :

"If you bloody well keep on doing that I am going to rip one of your legs off and stuff it through your ears and ride you around the room like a bloody motorbike..."

I stopped doing what I was doing and kept a very low profile after that...

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: putnam6

My dads whistle was not an issue with me...

He didn’t treat me like a dog.

His silence and the leather belt was a bitch though.

Kindest respects

Lags

Dad wasnt gonna yell from the front porch like some Nancy for us to get our azz home. The whistle carried.

My dad was the opposite he was stern but fair, we got our punishment but he didnt dwell on it and ruin the day over it. Plus he spent time with us had fun with us, we learned to hunt and fish ride motorcycles, target practice. After I got older and learned what his daily job entailed was amazed how many weekends my parents spent doing stuff with their kids.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
My father would say "live and let live". I've pretty much let that wisdom run how I deal with some situations and moral choices. It has taught me tolerance.
edit on 8/10/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I don't know. Mine also had what was referred to as "The Mean Mother" look. Kid you not that it was legendary around the town we grew up in. It caused blisters or something, but all the kids knew about it and no one wanted to receive it.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Funny you mentioned that your dad was a drill sergeant because so was mine.
The other funny thing is that he never disciplined us, ever. I guess he was so beat down from disciplining all his troops all he wanted to do was come home watch tv, or go outside and play with us. To this day he is still the kindest gentlest man I've ever known. Its ironic what his profession was, and how he was very very good at it. I would say he was a true Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde.

Now my mom was a different story. One look and we all knew we were dead. One hand on the hip forget about it.
She was a wee little lady that could spark fear into you like no other. Nobody messed with mom and don't even think about making her say something twice.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
There's the old stand-by, "I gave you live, I can take it."

My mother had a twist on that one. She'd say, "You know, it's not too late for me to have an abortion."

Yeah, I know, it sounds horrible, but I knew how much my mother loved me and it was all in fun, never said in anger or ugliness. Our twisted family humor. I laughed at it. I'm sure I've said something equivalent to my kids a few times.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I've said most of these to my kids (10 & 12 currently) as well as "I brought you into this world and I damn sure can take you out of it."

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
« Tie those damned shoelaces... if you fall over and break a leg don’t come running to me...! »

RIP June.

Still my mom's pet obsession!

She used to amuse herself at track meets during races when she didn't know any of the kids running by finding the one or two hapless kids with untied laces and then worrying about whether or not they were going to fall and break their faces.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join