It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Calls for Abolishing Electoral College: ‘Shadow of Slavery’s Power’

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: neo96

In All Seriousness Neo , the Left's Narrative that this Idiotic Clueless Woman is Somehow a Viable Candidate for Political Office is one Sick Joke . She is Nothing More than a Distraction that Hides the Real Issues in the Democratic Party , No Credibility Whatsoever ...........

It's like they're quadrupling down on the stupidity, thinking that they'll gain more votes for it. The only thing they'll accomplish is getting the attention of the DNC elect, MSM, and Hollywood. I don't think anyone else is dumb enough to go along with this.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

In All Seriousness Neo , the Left's Narrative that this Idiotic Clueless Woman is Somehow a Viable Candidate for Political Office is one Sick Joke . She is Nothing More than a Distraction that Hides the Real Issues in the Democratic Party , No Credibility Whatsoever ...........

She is clueless.... and thus dangerous because people actually listen to her when she has no solutions.

www.cnn.com...

Ocasio-Cortez defends $40 trillion price tag for progressive proposals

But asked again where that $40 trillion would come from, aside from her proposed increase in taxes on the wealthy and corporate taxes, which she has said would raise $2 trillion over the next 10 years, Ocasio-Cortez said the taxpayer-funded programs would free people up to increase economic activity in other areas, adding that the Medicare for all program is part of "a broader agenda."

"We do know and acknowledge that there are political realities," she added. "They don't always happen with the wave of a wand, but we can work to make these things happen."

That's the definition of the blind leading the blind.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Calls for Abolishing Electoral College

Duh, doesn't EVERY politician from CALIFORNIA or NEW YORK want to see it abolished?

Why is it that every total LOONY government official is from ONE of these two states?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

LMAO! I see you're following The Trump Train, too! Good move

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
That's just stupid. The Electoral College benefits SMALL, i.e.: Northern, states like Rhode Island, instead of LARGE states, like Virginia. The reasoning here is stupid.

It's good for CA and NY, two of the most populated and liberal states. It's tough to know you can win 30 states and still lose the popular vote by a million. Take CA away and Trump runs away with the popular, too. These lefties know that and therefore support this kind of idiocy. Anything to give them the power. But I have a feeling you'd see more Republican voters, by a long shot, come out if this were ever the case. Voting for the Republican in CA or NY is a lost cause because the left dominate the right in terms of population in those states.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

f this type of message doesn't completely eradicate the left, it'll take a Civil War.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: ausername

What are liberal Democrats in the cities getting, that makes them happy with the Democrat party? I don't get how high crime and high taxes makes those citizens happy?

I don't know why it's never called out that high crime areas are ALWAYS in democrat controlled counties due to their policies.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: ker2010

You win the interwebs for the day!!!

There is no way in Hell, the smaller states would even touch this. It's a fail before it even begins.

The problem is that she put it out there on the table and if the left think they'll find a way to implement it and have power until the country is destroyed, they'll keep pushing it.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Trump won because the majority of people in the majority of counties in the majority of states voted for him.

So in reality, the majority did vote for Trump.

Well that's just not true. I mean, everything in the first sentence is accurate. But to use that to say that the majority of our country voted for him...that's just intellectually dishonest. Hillary won the majority. I don't think she deserved that many votes, but she won them whether we like it or not. To dance around that is being irresponsible.

Having said that, I feel that we should get rid of the electoral college. I live in an incredibly rural area (3.5 hours to the nearest town with a population over 20,000), and I'd fully support doing away with the EC. But, my political ideology leans left (I'm not a democrat), so I admit that doing away with the EC would benefit me politically since there are more liberals than conservatives in the country.
I fully understand the argument that the flyover states would essentially be cut off from voting on most federal elections, and that's a hard pill to swallow. BUT, if the country is truly of the people, by the people, for the people, shouldn't each person's vote count the same? If more people vote for a Democrat, that person should win the vote. Likewise with Republicans.

That's my segue into my main point: The United States shouldn't be a country. At the very least, it shouldn't be governed as it was hundreds of years ago. There are too many radically different areas of the US to try to govern them all equally and fairly. We're always going on about state's rights...why not focus more on that than the federal government? More people would (could?) get more of what they need to live happy, fruitful lives because the people who live near them understand their needs WAY more than millionaires/billionaires that live 2,000+ miles away could ever hope to understand.
(This is all my opinion, and I know it'll never happen/never work, we're too ingrained into the system. But, it's an interesting idea)

The US has SO many different types of people, ideologies, etc, and that is one of, if not the, best thing about the country. However, it creates huge issues with how to govern all of us. Split up the job, let the states (or at least different areas) figure out what's best for themselves. Someone who lives in New York, New York lives a life so very different than someone in Homer, Alaska. Or St. George, Utah. Or Dubois, Wyoming. Why are the same people governing all of them? It doesn't make any sense to me. Something has to change.
edit on 8-10-2018 by narrator because: spelling

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: face23785

It's telling that they want 49% of the country to have no say whatsoever and instead want the minority to suffer the mob rule of the majority.

Should we apply this same logic to .. say ... minorities?

They're democrats. The only thing that's changed in their ideology is the color of the people they now target.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

She's a manspreader, get the bleach!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Democrats are promising to raise property, income, sales taxes. Who would vote for such lunacy?

People who don't pay them, and Hollywood.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: fredrodgers1960

And notice she used the dogwhistle term, "slavery" because she knows it'll tug the cold heart strings on the left.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Only she and the upper level tier of government would have chocolate. The rest of us would be fighting in the streets for the last Hershey Bar. (Note: I probably wouldn't fight you for the Hershey, but I sure would for a Godiva.)

That's OK , I Gave Up Chocolate so Big Brother could have More in the Fight Against Oceania . Praise Him !..)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Actually things I have stated is a combination of what people are already saying. By not re-electing the same candidate to office, would in short be We the people putting term limits on our elected officials, without the need of a law.

And by resetting the and getting rid of the laws that a winner take all in the states, would also satisfy those who are calling for the removal of the electoral college. And force candidate for president to work on building a coalition of the population across the country. It would mean that it would force the candidates to have to speak to and represent more than just their base as it stands.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I brought up the Tea party, as an example of how the minority in congress, used the rules, and shut down the government until they got what they wanted. Yet it seems when the democrats did such, people cried foul, not seeing that the other side did do such as well. And to show that once a door is opened up, the other party will exploit it and it goes back and forth constantly. Neither party are willing to play fair, and will at times use any and all rules to their advantage.

Would you have preferred that I bring up the Nuclear option that was used in the Senate? The Democrats changed the rules to have such in place, and used it once. Then the Republican majority exploited it, and it was not a good idea, but a terrible idea, from the get go. It is that back and forth create, use and then exploit that is what makes Congress very ineffective at times, and both parties are guilty of doing such.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Send 'em all to Venezuela for a week and see how they like it. No toilet paper and painfully little food in the market.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Ugh, the face of Satan!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: narrator
Wrong. Then it becomes mob rule. The left tends to be the lower end of the social economic class. They vote survival of themselves and do not usually have the intellectual capacity to see beyond their own existence. Now if the country was more educated I would agree with you on popular vote. Our founders were concerned that a portion of the society did not have the intellectual capacity to cast a worthy vote. Should we go into mental institutions and put all those people behind a voting machine? This sounds harsh but certain truths have to be said. I think some states like CALIFORNIA should be scrutinized heavily. Hillary just may have won the popular vote off the backs of illegals and voters that voted twice. Maxine Waters constituents need to take literacy tests before voting.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Because of the way California elections are structured, it's not even possible to vote for a Republican in California sometimes.

Some of the final elections are run-offs between the top two vote getters meaning if a Republican gets less than two of the Democrats running, they won't be on the November ballot and it will be all Democrat.

California is as close as you can get to single party rule, and their state shows it. They can't even control typhus now.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join