It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Calls for Abolishing Electoral College: ‘Shadow of Slavery’s Power’

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: amazing

The EC can be modified to be tied to counties rather than whole states. That system will be abused too though.

However the system is changed it should be in the direction of going away from mob rule and to giving everyone a voice that matters, otherwise Presidents will cater even more to coastal states as that is how you win.

That makes sense. But what about all those wasted conservative votes in California. When will they get their say? And what about all the wasted liberal votes in conservative areas? The EC system simply negates millions of votes and is a big reason why we have low voter turn out. I think the popular vote would change that.

Also, what about the fact that most elections the popular vote mirrors the electoral vote any way. And if in FAct liberals are taking over the world, how do conservatives win the popular vote? They do like in almost every presidental election that a republican president has won, they won the popular vote.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

The EC can be modified to be tied to counties rather than whole states. That system will be abused too though.

However the system is changed it should be in the direction of going away from mob rule and to giving everyone a voice that matters, otherwise Presidents will cater even more to coastal states as that is how you win.

That makes sense. But what about all those wasted conservative votes in California.

If it was modified to be county based they would finally have a say. And it would not be Urban areas deciding things for the other 99% of the country land wise.

It's disgusting how much power LA has over the rest of the country.
edit on 15-10-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

That makes sense. But what about all those wasted conservative votes in California.

If it was modified to be county based they would finally have a say. And it would not be Urban areas deciding things for the other 99% of the country land wise.

But if most Urban Areas are liberal and Urban areas decide elections, how come Conservative presidents win the popular vote most of the time (when they win presidential elections)? Seems to me the popular vote is better for conservatives? The popular vote would also let independent and third party candidates a better chance of winning. The Electoral College is designed to keep our fake two party system in power.
edit on 15-10-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Why would it seem that way to you when liberals win the popular vote when they win?

Clinton won the popular vote despite most counties going Trump.

Urban population is ever increasing, it's up about 10% since 1970. From 73% to 80%. I believe it is has gone up from the 80% as well over the past few years.

In 1920 only 5% of the US lived in urban cities. California is an extreme I believe 95% live in urban areas.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The only chain more obvious than physical chains on your wrists at the voting booth is an EC still operating and skewing elections.

It's a nice song & dance of mental gymnastics going on here, but it remains the same in the end -- your vote is worthless, yours, mine, everyone's. Ergo we need an antiquated system to "make it more even" on the playing field when we vote nationally. And you folks are ok with this? WTF? Closet libbie democrats you certainly are in this instance, like it or not. Or socio-commie democrats, whatever buzzword insult du jour floats your boat. Want some welfare money with that evened political voting, too?

The EC isn't as remotely close to any kind of quintessential American-style freedom as people seem to think it is. Even in terms of party, it's not Libertarian, not Constitutionalist, and definitely not Republican in operation. That kind of an unjustifiable edge for the losing party should bother ANYONE with any common sense that tries to claim to be a supporter of free & open elections. "May the better man win" has become "may the loser succeed" in the US.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Sorry, end the rant, it's a necessary check and balance that no one cared about until Trump won. This is exactly why the Founding Fathers created it, the fear of the people being manipulated by tyranny. No surprise the tyrannical left hates it.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Why would it seem that way to you when liberals win the popular vote when they win?

Urban population is ever increasing, it's up about 10% since 1970. From 73% to 80%. I believe it is has gone up from the 80% as well over the past few years.

In 1920 only 5% of the US lived in urban cities. California is an extreme I believe 95% live in urban areas.

Part of the problem is expecting politicians to go on stumping tours instead of voters encouraging each other to vote, and helping educate each other.

Here's an idea, it's just a small one that doesn't take much effort -- if you're worried the cities vote more than the country towns do, do something about turnout. You can only blame others so much before the onus falls on the complaining voter to motivate more like-minded folks to cast a ballot. That's not on the politicians at that point, your town is on you & other voters in it to make sure turnout is maxed.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Sorry, end the rant, it's a necessary check and balance that no one cared about until Trump won. This is exactly why the Founding Fathers created it, the fear of the people being manipulated by tyranny. No surprise the tyrannical left hates it.

You know, the right/left insult blinders is getting very aggravating. You two are not the only parties that exist in your rosy world. I and numerous others on this site are Libertarian, so kindly shove it.

As to this being a "sudden" dislike, no it is certainly not. My father is in his 70's and has never supported the EC in his life because the only vote he considers legitimate in the end is the Popular. By the way, he's a lifelong Republican. Is this where you cry "RINO" or something to discredit an opinion?
edit on 10/15/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: neo96

The memes on ATS today are on fire, well done!

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I get what you're saying but consider this. Reagan won the Popular vote both times. Bush Sr. won the popular vote. Clinton then won the popular vote twice. But that's the way our country goes...liberal sometimes conservative others...always a cycle like that through our history. The Anomoly is Gore won the popular vote by 500,000 but Bush won the electoral vote. Then Bush won the popular vote. Obama won the popular vote, but you also have to look at his lame competition. McCain with Sarah Palin and then Romney. He was almost set up to win.

I think the won most people are alarmed about is Clinton winning the popular vote over Trump. So if we had the popular vote in effect, we would have Clinton as President.

It wouldn't have been bad, just blah, in my opinion. She's a lot more conservative than Obama.

Most people thought Clinton was going to win anyways, even Trump on election night thought Clinton had it won.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Stop Picking at that Scab Neo ! It Will Never Freakin' Go Away !........)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join