It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

not even kidding. Dems double down on Kavanaugh

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

You are correct that the house gets no say, but that in no way precludes a FOIA request from happening. You could do one yourself for the very same info.

I'm sure people will.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Do you think Kavanaugh would vote to overturn Roe vs. Wade?

I don't... primarily because he indicated he wouldn't. Kavanaugh has already expressed a strong belief in precedent, and Roe vs. Wade is established in precedent.

IMO, the reason the Democrats opposed him so hard is that he will also uphold the 2nd Amendment, uphold the President's authority to implement immigration restrictions within the passed laws, and will not uphold the DACA Executive Order which directly contradicts those laws.

No, he didn't say the words "I will uphold Roe vs. Wade" because he can't... no Justice can say that, because no Justice knows the particulars of the cases coming before them. A Justice must be impartial and weigh the evidence in the face of the Constitution and constitutional law, with adherence to precedent. One cannot do that before hearing the facts of the case.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

You know , it would not take the F.B.I. longer than a MONTH to ReInterview the Judge and that Little Girl along with All the Alleged Non Witnesses . Think that would Really have Satisfied those Mentally Challenged People on the Left Mr. X ?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

The FBI did interview Judge and 9 other people, including Ramirez and other named witnesses.
But Dems keep lying about that.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

The FBI did interview Judge and 9 other people, including Ramirez and other named witnesses.
But Dems keep lying about that.

This is True . Even Little Children Learn after awhile that Lying is Not Easy to Hide from the " Grown Ups " ........(

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

My point is pretty simple.

Trump promised to only appoint judges to the Supreme Court that would overturn Roe vs Wade.

Kavanaugh has clearly indicated that he won't.

Now my question is...

Was he being deceitful to gain power, or did Trump lie to us?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: Xtrozero

You know , it would not take the F.B.I. longer than a MONTH to ReInterview the Judge and that Little Girl along with All the Alleged Non Witnesses . Think that would Really have Satisfied those Mentally Challenged People on the Left Mr. X ?

I'm sure the FBI evaluated all potential people. The left asked for a week and they got a week... enough said about that.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Actually, Trump promised to appoint only Justices who were constitutionalists. Whether or not that is the same as overturning Roe vs. Wade is a point of contention. Some say the Constitution does not address abortion and therefore is not covered in the Constitution; others say the right to an abortion is implied. I happen to be in the former group, but that also does not mean I oppose all abortions.

Regardless, we need Justices who read the Constitution and apply it as written. Without that, we will not have a country for very long and the issue of abortion will become a moot point. It is sort of like burning down a house to get rid of the roaches.

It's not a left-right or conservative-liberal issue... it's an pro-American-con-American issue.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
I think the Democrats screwed the pooch for the midterms and Nancy is now carrying the smoldering torch . Not only did they fire the conservatives up. The Dems also lost one of the time honored tools in their bag of dirty tricks .

They love to start a smear campaign in the 11th hour of any election. ( To be honest it’s been reliable tactic for both sides ). But this year when they try it conservative political ads will point back to the Kavanaugh fiasco and expose that tactic which will discredit it whether it’s true or not and it will also fire up the conservative base . ( win win )

I don’t know whether I want to see honest elections or see the Republicans use that tactic while the Democrats are forced to sit back and eat humble pie.

But either way the Democrats just kneecapped theirself .

That's right. The Democrats have been screwing up and just outright embarrassing themselves for so long, it's actually tiring to watch. I couldn't imagine how tired they are at failing.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Actually, Trump promised to appoint only Justices who were constitutionalists. Whether or not that is the same as overturning Roe vs. Wade is a point of contention.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

This is the thing I think most people have trouble wrapping their heads around...

Just because a Justice is pro-life or pro-abortion, it does not follow that a constitutionalist Justice will read that into the Constitution either way. There is a difference between a personal belief and what the document says.

I ran a design service for 10 years, and as part of that service I produced custom house plans. Now, I have my own preferences as to what a house looks like, how it should be arranged, etc. Never once did I force, never once did I even try to force my concept of the ultimate house on a customer. Those were my personal beliefs, and I was, as an adult, able to separate them from my professional services. Had I not been able to, I imagine my company would have gone the way of the dodo fairly quickly. That's just what adults do. We can have our own personal beliefs, and yet understand that our personal beliefs are just that and are not binding on others.

As Associate Justice, Brett Kavanaugh is charged with interpreting the Constitution as written while taking into account precedent set down before him and constitutional law. What he believes personally does not matter if he does his job faithfully, as he has done for over a decade already. President Trump was expressing his belief that the Constitution does not protect a right to abortion, and his belief that Roe vs. Wade will be overturned if the Constitution is faithfully interpreted. That is not binding on the Justices he appoints... as a matter of fact, I would consider it a breach of ethics if he even tried to make such a belief binding on a Justice.

So there's no lie, only a statement of belief... and Kavanaugh is likely not going to overturn Roe vs. Wade. The only way to make the assumption you make is to believe that adults do not have the ability to separate personal from professional ethics. We do.

Incidentally, since I alluded to it before, one more example: I am staunchly pro-life. Due to certain (painful) experiences in my past, I believe that any abortion is first-degree, premeditated murder. I mourn every time I hear about an abortion. There is nothing whatsoever anyone can say to me to change that position. Yet, I also am adult enough to understand that the result of outlawing abortion would be the deaths and dire medical consequences of millions of women. That is not acceptable to me either, so my preferred solution is a common-sense restriction on late-term abortions, a better adoption policy, and education... not a ban.

That's how adults think... life is not black or white. It contains a million shades of grey.

In contrast, a Justice who does not faithfully interpret the Constitution as written is allowing their personal beliefs to enter into their decisions and are therefore not acting as an adult. That is far, far more damaging to the country as a whole, including the supposed right to have an abortion, than dutifully interpreting the Constitution. Without a Constitution, there are no legal limits on the government concerning any rights.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

a reply to: Pyle

Admitting to a mistake is simply not as impressive when one continues to make the same mistake over and over. At that point, it becomes willful ignorance instead of simple ignorance.

While simple ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of, willful ignorance is worthy of ridicule IMO.

TheRedneck

Keep the holier then thou attitude. It really shows your true self. I am sorry for ATS you are somehow a mod.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Nice to see how well you take advice.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Nice to see how well you take advice.

TheRedneck

You mean how I corrected myself when shown new information sourced from someone other then you, while you doubled down on being an ass?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Actually I was referring to the personal attacks... but take it how you will.

What was the topic again?

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I wonder if these liberals know that witches perform satanic rituals celebrating baby deaths outside of these abortion clinics. It's disgusting!

edit on 9-10-2018 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join