It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asbestos Buried On Farm Advice Wanted

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

"The aristocracy - the landed gentry - withered away decades ago."

Really because the bastards are still out and about Fox and Pheasant hunting nevermind running the house of lords and the Tory party.

Take for instance the fact that 432 private landowners own 50% of the private land in rural Scotland, this means that half of a fundamental resource for the country is owned by 0.008% of the population. I'm not sure as to the statistics down south nor in Wales but i imagine it to be rather similar, truth is there are plenty of landed gentry still doing the rounds.

I get that in this instance the OP refers to farmers all the same but i take it they still own the land. Think i remember something about drums of acid being found through.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

It's almost as if when the coined the term " trickle down ", they all laughed and said " well piss on these these little pricks and they will praise us for it"...

edit on 8-10-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The majority of the hereditary peers in the House of Lords are not Conservative. Anyway, you don't have to be an aristocrat, or rich, to shoot pheasants or to participate in fox hunting. I will admit to shooting pheasants, including (ahem) a spot of poaching in my wayward days, although never saw the sense of fox hunting.

On land ownership in Scotland. It's true that aristocrats own vast chunks of Scotland, but so do charities and foreign tycoons. For example, the second biggest landowner is the National Trust for Scotland, the fourth is the RSPB. The third biggest is a Danish fashion billionaire.

Anyway, not wishing to broaden the OP too much, but while very few farmers and landowners allow illegal waste to be buried on their land, most farmers and landowners are victims of people fly-tipping - some on an industrial scale.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I used to work with the stuff in the 70's way before anyone was scared of it. When I mixed it and molded it around steam pipes I would come home covered in the powder, and we never had respirators or even face masks . . . thank you USCG. So far no problems that can be associated with the exposure and that was about 46 years ago. I am not saying it is not dangerous, because I know the process on how it causes problems. I have since done work in the Bio-environmental Field.

However is it really a problem?
How deep is it?
How much is there?
What is it's nature...tiles, formed panels, wrappings?

If it is reasonably deep enough it will not become a problem unless there is a large quantity that can become airborne if it is dug up.

Asbestos is made safer by
1. Sealing it in place, so it cannot become air born.
2. Removing it to a safe fill.

a reply to: Kester

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blindmancc
I used to work with the stuff in the 70's way before anyone was scared of it. When I mixed it and molded it around steam pipes I would come home covered in the powder, and we never had respirators or even face masks . . . thank you USCG. So far no problems that can be associated with the exposure and that was about 46 years ago. I am not saying it is not dangerous, because I know the process on how it causes problems. I have since done work in the Bio-environmental Field.

However is it really a problem?
How deep is it?
How much is there?
What is it's nature...tiles, formed panels, wrappings?

If it is reasonably deep enough it will not become a problem unless there is a large quantity that can become airborne if it is dug up.

Asbestos is made safer by
1. Sealing it in place, so it cannot become air born.
2. Removing it to a safe fill.

My grandpa swears that the whole asbestos health effects is a conspiracy he worked with the stuff for 50 years with no PPE and (thank god) this far no respritory issues, personally not gonna go snorting lines of it but hey the man’s survived 60 years of marriage so he’s pretty much invincible

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR
Ah man, don't go there. It aint no conspiracy, it's true. I worked where it was all over the place (before they decided it was dangerous) my best friend died with mesothelioma through "cleaning" the stuff out. I was the maintenance carpenter there for 11 years and got into everywhere. The places that were supposedly cleared, naah.
Cancer rate, from asbestos was around 1 in 4 nationally, in the UK. My work mates were dying at the rate 3 in 4. Now when you've got that figure and your workmates are dying around you then my son it's time to worry.
Through this I have had 2 bouts of deep, deep depression which luckily (through drugs the first time and with help the second time, especially my wife) I've survived. It still is and always will be a sword above my head, so anybody that says it's false, well i would resort to a physical reprimand.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: BigDave-AR
Ah man, don't go there. It aint no conspiracy, it's true. I worked where it was all over the place (before they decided it was dangerous) my best friend died with mesothelioma through "cleaning" the stuff out. I was the maintenance carpenter there for 11 years and got into everywhere. The places that were supposedly cleared, naah.
Cancer rate, from asbestos was around 1 in 4 nationally, in the UK. My work mates were dying at the rate 3 in 4. Now when you've got that figure and your workmates are dying around you then my son it's time to worry.
Through this I have had 2 bouts of deep, deep depression which luckily (through drugs the first time and with help the second time, especially my wife) I've survived. It still is and always will be a sword above my head, so anybody that says it's false, well i would resort to a physical reprimand.
i think you miss read me I’m not saying he’s right just what he thinks, I’m just grateful it hasn’t effected him. Perhaps I should have worded it differently.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
I know I'm junior to you but I've watched the older boys die of it in my lifetime, it was a national UK disgrace.
Thanks for sharing your story man.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

lots of exposed persons suffered and are still suffering from asbestosis/pp/mesothelioma. I remember the widows going not long after their partners kicked the bouquet. work overalls were brought home and washed by the wives who knew nothing of snowball fights that happened in the joiners/laggers shop with the stuff.

father in law popped his clogs not long ago and he worked on ships piping/drilling.

several of us were exposed mid-eighties when those up-top knew the risks. union went nuts, caused some ripples then tumbleweeds whilst they, the union hierarchy in my opinion accepted promotion-tokens for that once in a lifetime timeshare or huge motorhome imo of course but mine eyes saw the affluence of those meant to protect the workers against such hazards and the mind ticks over faster when doors are shut in ones face. what is one to think?

the stuff needs to be double-bagged and taped with 500mu at the very least.

take heart dude that you are one of many, myself included that may need extra juice at the crem lol!

f.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=23842450]ignorant_ape[/post

I'll get more information when I can and take it from there. I think it will be classed as contaminated land on the land register unless they get it removed.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll do my best to get this toxic dump either removed or registered.
edit on 10 10 2018 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   

registering with the local area authority seems the most sensible thing. a simple report submitted will activate either apathy (back of filing cabinet) or lead to an aspect investigation subject to the report details e.g. location, type of hazardous materials involved, ground/slope conditions, proximity to watercourses etc. it may even initiate a restrictive covenant until such time comes when a potential development plan is submitted to planning.

in the early days of removal it was known to me that operatives sprayed down asbestos sheeting prior to encapsulation in sheeting. this was discouraged in the eighties as it was know to re-suspend the dust and make it airborne.

best wishes fakedirt.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
You want to tell somebody in the UK? Go to the local council and ask for environmental health, they'll deal with it. But if it's already buried they might just say leave it.

Still if the material really is Asbestos, they need to know in that district so that no one will be allowed to build housing there without remediation. Otherwise, an unsuspecting gardener will dig it up to plant food.
edit on 11-10-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: fakedirt

lots of exposed persons suffered and are still suffering from asbestosis/pp/mesothelioma. I remember the widows going not long after their partners kicked the bouquet. work overalls were brought home and washed by the wives who knew nothing of snowball fights that happened in the joiners/laggers shop with the stuff.

father in law popped his clogs not long ago and he worked on ships piping/drilling.

several of us were exposed mid-eighties when those up-top knew the risks. union went nuts, caused some ripples then tumbleweeds whilst they, the union hierarchy in my opinion accepted promotion-tokens for that once in a lifetime timeshare or huge motorhome imo of course but mine eyes saw the affluence of those meant to protect the workers against such hazards and the mind ticks over faster when doors are shut in ones face. what is one to think?

take heart dude that you are one of many, myself included that may need extra juice at the crem lol!

f.

I remember reading about the asbestos mining companies that would donate used sacks to the local schools in the 1950's for sack races at school sports day. Tragic on so many levels.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: fakedirt

f.

I remember reading about the asbestos mining companies that would donate used sacks to the local schools in the 1950's for sack races at school sports day. Tragic on so many levels.

Having seen so much that leaned toward the 'they' that people talk about being against humans on the Earth, the cynic in me wonders if that wasn't and experiment like the Syphilis experiments on Negros in the 20th Century. The victims were not treated, they were observed.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I watched men wither to skin and bone over a couple of months and some over years. the pain written on their faces hollowed me out. elsie and jack was awful whilst certain relatives of theirs bickered over the assets.

bitter sweet memories
f.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join