It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asbestos Buried On Farm Advice Wanted

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
I'm looking into it but the local authority " . . . will not normally undertake any
investigation based on anonymously supplied information".

I've just learnt one of the main asbestos disposal companies in the area are a crew known locally as 'The Mafia' who mix toxic waste with soil and pay farmers to allow them to tip it on their land. They're the second result on Google for a search of asbestos and the name of the area. I'll have to be realistic about this.

If this is surfacing to the ground where people are getting exposed it is important. In that case, I say report it and don't worry about using your name. If you don't know of any not covered by soil, there probably isn't much to it and the EPA will just be over zealous IMO.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It's a field grazed by sheep. Cracks have opened up on the steeply sloping land. I don't know if the burial was above or below the cracks. I would think above.

What ever happens the State gov is your friend. Contact the State Air Pollution Division of the Department of Health and Environment (or whatever the Dep is). They are obligated to inspect if you have any proof of what you say.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It sounds to me like you want to get paid. Next time you talk to them bring the asbestos up in passing .

That should do the trick .

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
It sounds to me like you want to get paid. Next time you talk to them bring the asbestos up in passing .

That should do the trick .

In my line of work, unless they have suffered already, we would frown on people wanting money. That sounds like 'extortion' on the face of it.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

From reading your first two sentences it seemed like that was one of your motives. Why else bring it up ?

Extortion would be a threat like pay me or I tell. That’s why I said “in passing” .

I’l take a guess on what you do. You’re either a roofer or landscaper .

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
So they did it to them self. Looks as though they are not worried about there children, if they have any. This tends to make me believe they are crooked and therefore the wealth and to heck with the environment.

And of course, you don't get your money either. Your conscience.
edit on 10/7/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

From reading your first two sentences it seemed like that was one of your motives. Why else bring it up ?

Extortion would be a threat like pay me or I tell. That’s why I said “in passing” .

Environmental Scientist by trade. Instead of seeking money we need to seek answers for what is going on there.

edit on 7-10-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

If I responded to an area with it present...I'd wear protective clothing and breathing mask/respirator.

If buried, and undisturbed? Little issue....now. If airborne? Huge issue. If buried? Not so much. As long as it was buried above water table, and not near any Wells or directline plumbing....which no answer is absolute assrance it isn't leaking nor leaching...

That all needs to be verified. Fire Dept can ascertain and assess concern, and they would contact E.P.A....or you can...but do it asap.

EMT/Emergency Response
Hazmat/Biohazard Certified
edit on 7-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: Eta

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

I worked for some multi-millionaires. Now they refuse to pay.

Once an employer refuses to pay, all goodwill is thrown out of the window. My advice is to get in touch with your local council's environment department. Whistle blow. Outline what you know. It's the moral thing to do.

Ah moral actions driven by immoral motives how delicious, you know there’s this thing called court that’s setup to deal with situations like your not getting paid, perhaps that would be the first step and then if you still feel slighted then go do your righteous action. Or if you want to be less of a snake you could go inquire about how they plan to utilize the burial site and suggest that they avoid red tape and fines by disposing of it properly and coming to a fair settlement with you. You might not want to have the town millionaires gunning for you. Also how do we know you weren’t the bloke that removed said asbestos from the residence to prepare to dispose of it illegally when they decided to stiff you? My advice is save the nuclear option for the last option.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

He’s not the OP friendo but I agree he wouldn’t be batting an eye if there wasn’t a financial issue between the OP and the other party and I too suggested that he talk to said other party first and come to an agreement that will save all parties trouble and keep everyone happy(ier).

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
why are these 2 issues linked ???

thier failure to pay you - SHOULD be addreessed through the small claims court

the alledged asbestos dump - is a matter for EH , DEFRA etc etc

they are seperate issues - keep them seperate

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
why are these 2 issues linked ???

thier failure to pay you - SHOULD be addreessed through the small claims court

the alledged asbestos dump - is a matter for EH , DEFRA etc etc

they are seperate issues - keep them seperate

I have a strong feeling if it weren’t for the financial issue he could give a toss about the environmental issue.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

He’s not the OP friendo

I guess I should’ve paid more attention. How embarrassing .

I wonder if I got the OP’s trade right ?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

a reply to: BigDave-AR

He’s not the OP friendo

I guess I should’ve paid more attention. How embarrassing .

I wonder if I got the OP’s trade right ?
I have a pet theory that he might just be the one who took down said asbestos but that might just be my conspiratorial mind going too strong.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Their failure to pay is another sign of mental imbalance. They are so paranoid about being ripped off they imagine everyone is plotting against them. It's obvious to anyone who knows the details that I alerted them to a potentially fatal structural danger. They've twisted it around to me trying to get work by misrepresenting the danger. I've given up on expecting payment, I'll put it down to experience. Don't work for paranoid millionaires. Obvious really. I should have seen it.

It does add the extra problem that there is no way I can just talk to them about the asbestos, they'll read it as an attack on them. The two issues are together because if I simply asked for advice on the dumping of toxic waste the advice would not take into account the very vulnerable state of the dumpers. The loony bin is not far away for one of them and I in no way want to create extra pressure. Wealth means nothing. Fame means nothing. The ability to sanely raise their children means everything.

If there was no mental health problem and no 'disgruntled ex-employee' angle I'd just paint ASBESTOS ILLEGALLY DUMPED HERE on the road in front of the farm. Simple, easy, effective. As it stands that would cause unbearable stress and anger.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
are you sure they were the ones dumping it? or could they have hired someone who decided to take a shortcut and get a bigger profit?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Hate to say it but it was her choice. Typical, but understandable knowing her way of thinking. I could hardly keep a straight face the day I saw her arguing with my exceptionally bolshy teenage son. Well matched in stubbornness.

I have to emphasise I like her and respect her outspoken ways.
edit on 7 10 2018 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 7 10 2018 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I would say don't be a grass, but if they are rich, not paying you for a job done, never mind the implications where future owners are concerned is not very fair now is it.

Have you considered simply blackmailing the rich twats?

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I like my head attached to my shoulders.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Well sticking them in might be just as dangerous as blackmailing them then if they are heavy in any sort of manner.

And also a hell of a lot less profitable, just a thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join