It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asbestos Buried On Farm Advice Wanted

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I worked for some multi-millionaires. Now they refuse to pay. In the course of discussing the situation with another party I was told the cause of the landslips on their farm was a pit dug to bury asbestos.

These people are vulnerable and I do care for them regardless of their thoughts towards me. I don't wish to embarrass them and I don't want to be a vindictive disgruntled ex-employee, but . . . someone else is going to own that farm one day.

I have come across suggestions that white asbestos is not terribly dangerous and the regulations around disposal may be a bit of a scam. I assume the asbestos in question is most likely white, but I don't know for sure.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation without causing undue stress to these very wealthy, fairly famous and MASSIVELY stressed out people.
edit on 7 10 2018 by Kester because: upper case

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
I worked for some multi-millionaires. Now they refuse to pay. In the course of discussing the situation with another party I was told the cause of the landslips on their farm was a pit dug to bury asbestos.

These people are vulnerable and I do care for them regardless of their thoughts towards me. I don't wish to embarrass them and I don't want to be a vindictive disgruntled ex-employee, but . . . someone else is going to own that farm one day.

I have come across suggestions that white asbestos is not terribly dangerous and the regulations around disposal may be a bit of a scam. I assume the asbestos in question is most likely white, but I don't know for sure.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation without causing undue stress to these very wealthy, fairly famous and MASSIVELY stressed out people.

Please treat white asbestos as just as dangerous as blue or brown. The recent babble about white asbestos not being as bad as the others tends to come from companies/countries with an interest in producing or exporting it. All types of asbestos are regarded by the EPA and other organisations as dangerous substances that can cause cancer. All types can cause pleural plaques, asbestosis and most lethal of all mesothelioma.
If those people are wealthy then they can afford the cleanup bill.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I think you should put family and friends visits on a hold and call EPA as soon as possible.
They will do some ground tests and test the drinking water in the area.

www.epa.gov...-2

If you care about people in that area you act on this..

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Worked asbestos is not the same issue as raw. But you still should have a third party assess the issue.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Your Health Department in your home town will have the contact information for an expert in Asbestos Remediation for the gov and a list of qualified contractors to remove the asbestos.

The general consensus is that loose 'friable material' is very dangerous but the tiles from flooring if intact are relatively safe.

I am an Environmental Scientist and have an Asbestos expert in my office. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Chances are, they won't be paying compo in 30 yrs to someone dying through exposure, do the right thing.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Please treat white asbestos as just as dangerous as blue or brown. The recent babble about white asbestos not being as bad as the others tends to come from companies/countries with an interest in producing or exporting it. All types of asbestos are regarded by the EPA and other organisations as dangerous substances that can cause cancer. All types can cause pleural plaques, asbestosis and most lethal of all mesothelioma.
If those people are wealthy then they can afford the cleanup bill.

You are correct.

It takes one small piece of Asbestos to pass through your lungs and lodge into the peritoneal cavity where our organs are. This is a known cause of cancer of the stomach and lungs. it is VERY important to wear protective gear with a breathing apparatus.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'm looking into it but the local authority " . . . will not normally undertake any
investigation based on anonymously supplied information".

I've just learnt one of the main asbestos disposal companies in the area are a crew known locally as 'The Mafia' who mix toxic waste with soil and pay farmers to allow them to tip it on their land. They're the second result on Google for a search of asbestos and the name of the area. I'll have to be realistic about this.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Absolutely NOT!!

The EPA is absolutely the WORST people to call! (Bunch of bumbling bureaucrats of the highest order!) They're like the Keystone Cops with an attitude problem!

First thing to do is find out if there even is any asbestos on the site. The best way to do that is to have an environmental firm test the soil. Then, if there is any asbestos, get recommendations on how to quantify and qualify it. Then get remediation recommendations and proposals on cleanup costs.

Only IF the owners refuse to deal with the matter should you get the authorities involved. Even then you should start at the local and state level. Do NOT go directly to the EPA...unless you wish untold amounts of harm and financial RUIN on the owners. The EPA will gladly take their land, after bleeding them of every cent they own, smear their names all over the news and then turn it into a wildlife sanctuary. In the end, nothing will be corrected, the owners will be bankrupt and everyone will be miserable. Start at the local level first.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

ehh.. They are there to help not to do harm..

But sure if OP prefer cancer

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Another thing...

Unless this property is located near a large port, or nearby to a significant heavy manufacturing site, chances are the material may be something as simple as acoustic ceiling tiles someone buried to avoid the hazmat disposal costs.

Question for you...is there any vegetation growing on top of the site in question? Things like trees in particular, or large shrubs, or anything with deep roots? If the area is bald then this would be cause for concern.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Yeah, just like the federal government is 'there to help'!!

They "help" no one in circumstances like these!

Have you ever dealt with them????

I have.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

were they the original owners or did they buy this land recently.
the reason I ask is I kind of think that if the crap was there to begin with and the sellers knew about it and didn't say anything... they might have a lawsuit???

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Correcto Mundo!

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It's a field grazed by sheep. Cracks have opened up on the steeply sloping land. I don't know if the burial was above or below the cracks. I would think above.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

They bought the land with a small dwelling on it then built a much larger dwelling. At some time during this process the asbestos had to be disposed of. They could afford to have it dealt with properly a thousand times over. Burying it to save money is more a sign of mental imbalance than anything else. I really don't want to pressure these people due to the impact on their children of even more stress. They need to have their hand forced gently and tactfully. Not qualities I am known for. Hence needing advice.
edit on 7 10 2018 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

There were, and still are regulations regarding the disposal of asbestos. Permits are involved, and different classes of landfills, depending upon the local jurisdictions. It may be bagged in glove bags, which then are bagged again in labeled bags, "goosenecked" and then taped.

The color of asbestos fibers isn't a variable of danger, but the friability and particular type of asbestos. For example, Amosite asbestos is hydrophobic and repels amended water. Water amended with a surfactant is often used to supress the small, dangerous particles, and that particular type of asbestos is more difficult to safely remove.

EPA, TSCA, AHERA and other organizations comprise the applicable asbestos regulations in the U.S., along with OSHA and others as it pertains to safe removal, who can do it and under what controls and conditions.

There are likely many places in the world where dangerous substances are illegally buried. The difficult thing is often to determine who the responsible party is, and which organization(s) will mandate the proper cleanup. Testing and assessment is usually done first, and then depending upon the size and condition of it, an abatement is mandated.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
if it's a company illegally dumping toxins in several different areas, they might be dumping more than asbestos and you might be preventing an ecological nightmare from happening in the future. maybe go and have a chat with the local authorities, see if you can get them interested in running some tests throughout the area. at least find out if it's just this one small area, or if it's spread out throughout the county.

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
in my thinking..... I put aside all the sentimental reasoning, all the rationalizations...

the facts are that: there appears to be foreign debris on the land... the possibility that dangerous material might be there.

that in itself should warrant further investigation... rumors exist that illegal activity might have been involved which makes some sort of investigation/ detective work/ sample testing a requirement--> for both health issues and financial damage reasons.

this potential problem/crisis should not be swept-under-the-rug...

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I worked for some multi-millionaires. Now they refuse to pay.

Once an employer refuses to pay, all goodwill is thrown out of the window. My advice is to get in touch with your local council's environment department. Whistle blow. Outline what you know. It's the moral thing to do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join