It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing the good old ATS days? Suggestion to get back to them...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

ATS will go back to normal when the leftist authoritarians lose the culture war.

On a busy day, I reckon there's about half a dozen active democrat posters compared to two dozen active Trump advocates.

If you try and debate someone in person your liable to get roundhouse kicked to the head.

Or run down and murdered by some flake in a car.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
i LUVZ aaleeanz N goasts

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Political comment has always been present on ATS, just not the avalanche there is now.
And most of it is so repetitive.
Any duplication of threads was immediately pounced upon and threads deleted.
Then came Obama and there were thread upon thread of the same old things.
Then Trump threads and Kavanaugh thread an infinitum - its relentless and it just clogs up the recent posts page.

Then we get the obsession with left v right; thread after thread.

And its not only the repetition of threads; the number of off topic comments on leftists or right wingers is just ridiculous.
Previously they would be pounced on and deleted.

Which leads us to another thing; the number of good, even exceptional, members who have been banned for relatively minor reasons when compared to what many get away with now has helped contribute to the reduction in quality of threads and posts.

Then we have to consider the virtual absence of The Three Amigos - what's going on there?

Personally I miss the old days when it seemed I was always learning something new, constantly questioning everything and people were constantly questioning me. Not with dogmatic creed but with independent, reasoned thought.
So many people seem to think its ok to simply state their opinion with no supportive evidence or critical thinking and then just expect people to believe or accept it.
Deny ignorance and question everything....but think and reason.

This website can, and always was, only as good as the membership.
If the quality of the site has deteriorated then one simple assumption can then be made.....

And maybe this apparent deterioration only reflects and mirrors what is happening in society in general?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Okay, it seems people have not explored the great mysteries around them in order to manipulate the Matrix like Neo. But I don’t know where you got this magic ATS sort link from in order to focus on the lost topics. But you might consider making a Bookmark to find it quickly. Or set it as your browser homepage.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Without sounding too nostalgic or romanticising the 'old ATS,' it does appear like we're more about our differences than what we have in common.

I hover around this place lately like some kind of desperate, nostalgic, homesick moth

As a friend recently and emphatically reminded me - you can't go home again

So - you have to look at things with fresh eyes and make do - while also doing your own level best

:-)
edit on 10/9/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Which leads us to another thing; the number of good, even exceptional, members who have been banned for relatively minor reasons when compared to what many get away with now has helped contribute to the reduction in quality of threads and posts.

The thing is, people only hear a part of the story. I've seen a few 'exceptional' members get banned and they're rarely for minor reasons. Some of my all time favourite members parted ways and you can take it or leave it when I say we try hard to avoid banning. Like all staff, I've seen bannings I've personally disagreed with (it's done by consensus), but I've never seen a banning done for minor reasons.

a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I hover around this place lately like some kind of desperate, nostalgic, homesick moth

I often miss the old days and genuinely miss a lot of members who've gone their own ways. I feel 'nostalgic, homesick' too sometimes; you and Mr Freeborn embody what kept me around ATS. There are good discussions and, maybe like yourself, I'm more likely to read them than post. You're golden in my book.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I've no desire to criticise the Mods and Admin who by and large have done, and still are doing, an excellent job.
I'm sure its a difficult role to undertake and at times thankless task.
I'm also certain that there's far more to it than meets the eye.
I for one aren't envious and its something that has never appealed to me personally.

And its re-assuring to hear that bans aren't taken lightly.

I used to like the old warning stickers members used to get.

I guess the change in ATS is probably more down to the change in society around us than anything else....but I do miss the old days.

I can't help but some those who are sadly no longer with us....two friends in particular.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Changes in society...

Remember how it was kinda cool to go to the record store and just look through stuff to see if it would be a good buy when you had the cash. Then when you became a responsible adult and had to budget that hard earned money so those trips became less frequent. Kids today do not have record stores except the odd ball place here or there still hanging on.

Maybe that is why things are different. Nobody gets to vent to their friends about blowing their cash on a record that sucked, by a band you never heard of, but bought it anyway because the album cover looked cool. You got over it and went on until minor disappointments were no real biggie. That opportunity is lost as well today, you either delete the download and go on or rant to a very large echo chamber.

Dealing with disappointment is becoming a long lost art.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Dealing with disappointment is becoming a long lost art.

Dealing with anything negative is becoming a long lost art.

Welcome to Generation Snowflake.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I know you weren't having a go and, like you, I often wish some of the departed (and the banned) were still around. Batman and blue owls aren't forgotten.

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I used to love going to the Virgin mega stores. 2 levels of movies and music? Yes please!

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I know you weren't having a go and, like you, I often wish some of the departed (and the banned) were still around. Batman and blue owls aren't forgotten.

Lets face it though most of them probably just set up new accounts and lay low for a few weeks....

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

:-)

There are good people here. You help keep this place golden your own self

Like everywhere, we're all susceptible to the uncertainty of the times. Not always easy anymore to have a real good-natured argument - kinda feels like the stakes are too high

I personally miss all the top shelf woo - and the knock down, drag out fights about that woo

You know what though - give it time. Things change - it won't be the same, but it can still be good. It'll be interesting to see if we're both still here in another 10 years - and what the world will be like then

Here's to disclosure!
edit on 10/11/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Havoc40k

Make a new subsection... and stuff all the political crap, and Trump into it...

Perhaps clear out the banned members and give them another chance to redeem themselves... Im sure there has to be thousands of names... and within them there are many who I would like to see return to the forum, and many that deserve a second chance

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join