It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

ABUSE CRISIS: Hundreds of US abuse cases opened

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
According to the US Army more than 100 soldiers are still up for criminal investigations, with a further 200 already completeted, into the detainee abuse in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. After last year's Abu Ghraib prison scandal, the army has had to tighten its rules as a result. The actual number of those being prosecuted is still unclear.
 



news.bbc.co.uk
The army confirmed on Wednesday that one such investigation concerns an alleged sexual assault of an elderly woman while she was detained by coalition troops in Iraq.

The US army insists it has reformed the way it detains, guards and interrogates people in areas where it is operating.

General Ryder said new training and procedures were in place. For example, he said, dogs would no longer be used to intimidate suspects, and interrogators have limited power to decide the conditions in which detainees are held.



Please visit the link provided for the complete story.


After yesterdays prosecution of 3 British soldiers found them guilty it's good to see the US army are apparantly doing their bit to stamp out this sickening abuse. I know this is war and it is expected that abuse is sometimes needed to gain vital information from prisoners, but stories such as an elderly woman being sexually assaulted by troops is disgusting and totally unacceptable.

I don't know if it's the result of low morale or what, but it needs to be known that there is a huge difference between doing what needs to be done and thinking you can get away with anything...

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

[edit on 24-2-2005 by John Nada]




posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It appears certain soldiers are not learning from serious investigations into their activities, although it appears this man will escape punishment through "lack of evidence":

'No charge' over Falluja killing


A US marine filmed apparently shooting dead an injured Iraqi in a Falluja mosque last year may not be formally charged, according to media reports.

Military investigators have concluded there is not enough evidence to prosecute over the shooting, US television network CBS news says.

However, a marine spokesman told AFP news agency the case was still open. The US military set up an inquiry after footage of the killing was broadcast by the US network NBC.


Please visit the link provided for the complete story.



new topics
 
0

log in

join