It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I have learned from Men

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onlyyouknow

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

I learned softball, basketball, how to hurdle and how to high jump from men.

Men taught me calculus and chemistry. I learned enough anatomy and physiology in a semester of high school to win the state Science Olympiad in it from a man.

Several men, including my father and grandfathers, modeled what a great husbands are to me. As a result, I have a wonderful husband and I've only been married once in my life.

I have been with my husband since I was 21. A total 24 years. Shhhh Don't tell anyone.

congrats. 28 years in March for me. Married my best friend. I won the lottery with her.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Dude, you have no idea how many times I have shared a similar sentiment with my ol' lady. And I just want her to know that my purpose is to protect her with my life no matter what. Thats our purpose. Protect she which brings out our potential.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
From a man I learned how to fly fish; my twin brother helped me through Geometry and Calculus; my dad taught me too many good things to list, but the most important thing he taught me is that I'm unconditionally loved; my most influential and main teacher for my craft was a man;

and from some men, in general, I learned that sometimes you just have to be a big giant dick.
edit on 6-10-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Married youngish, 21. Still married to the same man 22 years later.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I was sneaky. Married her the day before I turned 22. I don't forget my anniversary. She has.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: ketsuko

I was sneaky. Married her the day before I turned 22. I don't forget my anniversary. She has.

This is terrible I know, I don't know our anniversary either. We got married in Costa Rica and the people in charge of our wedding changed the day we had chosen and I have never been able to remember since then. It is either the third or fourth. So, when our wedding license came in the mail I thought this will clear it up. It says the day is the " thirth"! We have our anniversary celebration on the third and fourth. Not kidding at all.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

the thrith. I like that. I promise to never, ever drink beer on the thrith. I'll consider that a religious holiday. But it's fair game on days that end in y.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Heh, I don't remember ours either. I know it's sometime around the end of May.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
My wife has forced me to slow down (on the work thing) and enjoy life a bit more, she has also worked some compassion into my cold heart.

I grounded her expectations of people a little more, taught her to protect her self and her future a bit more.

We both improved the weakness the other had, anyone that tries to say they are perfect alone is full of it we need partners that bolster our own weakness making us more complete as people, and better prepared for the curve balls life throws at us.

Edit: She lost her wedding ring, I still have mine, last few years I remembered our anniversary... neither will forget our anniversary going forward since our son was born 3 hours after our eleventh anniversary ended. Which is kind of amusing to me since our friends all said we wouldn't last 6 months, and yes we have gotten new friends.
edit on 6-10-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Now that you mention it, I will follow the same rules.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Heh, I don't remember ours either. I know it's sometime around the end of May.

So glad I'm not alone.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I didn't realize all Men were being compared to one guy?

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
My wife has forced me to slow down (on the work thing) and enjoy life a bit more, she has also worked some compassion into my cold heart.

I grounded her expectations of people a little more, taught her to protect her self and her future a bit more.

We both improved the weakness the other had, anyone that tries to say they are perfect alone is full of it we need partners that bolster our own weakness making us more complete as people, and better prepared for the curve balls life throws at us.

Edit: She lost her wedding ring, I still have mine, last few years I remembered our anniversary... neither will forget our anniversary going forward since our son was born 3 hours after our eleventh anniversary ended. Which is kind of amusing to me since our friends all said we wouldn't last 6 months, and yes we have gotten new friends.

You are sweet. I remember growing up, my mom telling me sometimes the wife gives 110% and the husband gives 90%; and sometimes it is the reverse. You both stay strong for each other.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

All men should not be compared to one man.
Unfortunately a portion of our population have been brainwashed to think that
man = bad / liar
woman = good / must be believed no matter what

edit on 10/6/18 by BlueAjah because: spelling

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Husband has worked in laboratories for lots of his career, and he lost his wedding band in one.

I have my wedding ring, but I can't wear it anymore. I stuck my finger in the ceiling fan by accident, and the knuckle healed back a size or so larger than it was. He's offered to have it resized a couple of times, but I've never taken him up on it. We don't need the bands to know we're married.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I didn't realize all Men were being compared to one guy?

Well, apparently Judge Kavanaugh was the scapegoat for all women who were ever victims of sexual assault. This is what my thread is about, it is about how men have enriched my life and made me stronger. They have been told told to shut up and sit down, I am saying the opposite.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have been blessed to have wonderful men in my life.

Growing up I had more guy friends than girl friends. They always looked out for me, and I learned much from them. We were almost like family.

My husband was a truly good person. I think I took him for granted a bit, and did not realize it until he passed away. Then I had to learn to do things that he used to do, in order to take care of the family. I did not even realize that I did not know how to start a lawn mower until I had to try.
Even now, years later, certain things will come up (like... the dog throws up) and I will be like... "darn, this is YOUR job, why are you not here?"

I have the best father and brother that a woman could ask for. They are always looking out for me and helping. I do consider myself fairly independent, but it is always nice to know that they are there if I need them.

This is why I just can not understand the hate that some women have for all men. It seems so irrational.

edit on 10/6/18 by BlueAjah because: missed word

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

You are a great woman!

I have a 18' boat with a 50hp motor. I can cook fish. I really can. My boat has a trailer, and the trailer is licensed even.

I can send you many stats on the boat, and my fishing tackle. Can you clean fish?

Would you like to marry me????

P.S. It's a really cool boat!! The tags are even current!

ETA - I jest, of course. It's a long running joke about a boat.

edit on 10/6/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Nothing else needs to be said, perfection.

link   

My dad was my first hero. He taught me respect, honesty, how to drive, how to save, my work ethic, how to protect myself, and how to laugh. A true Army man/fought in Korea. I miss him dearly.

Other men who have helped me through the years are also Military Men. I learned how to deal with some unbareable situations when I had no other options.

My stepdad who taught me to carry on when things got rough; some mechanics as well.

My brother who is a beast when it comes to showing up and getting things done quickly, no matter how much is on his plate.

My sons last counselor (another Military man) who helped me overcome some fears, and how to spot manipulation.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

edit on 6-10-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join