It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what do you think of the electoral college?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
It's a major detriment to "our democracy".

No , folks that believe this is true are the greatest threat to US democracy

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: DanDanDat

Mob Rule has Chuck Schumer.

That's your ++

🎃

Na, we need to deal with Andrew (all my friends have been found to be criminals... but not me) Cuomo before we worry about Schumer.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

They had a bigger problems than each other and so they worked out their differences and found ways to make their government amicably for all.

No , you had better read up on the difference between a Democratic style government and a Republic
To make it simple for you
Democratic government = mob rule
Republic = every States citizens' vote count

Hey , I have performed my due diligence to the ATS Motto for the day
I can rest for a while

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I believe you’re thinking of semi trailers ?

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I dont understand how your post is relevant to what I said. But thank you for sharing.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: Aallanon

The founding fathers set it up that way because the thought that the majority of citizens were politically naive and the states should elect a President, not the mob.

Doesn't make sence; they could have set up an election system wherein each state had power equally to their size and population.

It would have taken the vote away from the majority of citizens (who where thought of as naive) but still leave larger states with greater power.

That's not what happened.

It was more than keeping the naive away ... it was a balancing of power.

They couldn't do that because the smaller states then would have not joined the Union. It was a bone of contention, so they worked out an electoral college so the smaller states would have a say as well. Also factored in was the difference between urban and rural voters... the farmers needed as much say as the city did.

Originally, they were going to set it up so that the Senate picked a President, btw.

They did not do so because they thought that a small bunch of powerful men that met at a regular basis picking a President would cause distrust of the office of the President.

As a compromise, they instead made the Electoral College.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

They knew the votes could be bought by giving away free stuff.

They foresaw the dead voting too.

😁👥

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

That's your ++

Na, we need to deal with Andrew (all my friends have been found to be criminals... but not me) Cuomo before we worry about Schumer.

Kirsten Guiltybrand too !!

She an electoral nightmare on elm street.

😤

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
thank god

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

I believe you’re thinking of semi trailers ?

20 mule team borax.

💯

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Obviously my reputation as one of the smartest, funniest and most sarcastic posters on ats still alludes some of you.

I figured putting "our democracy" in quotes would have been obvious enough.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The electoral college is rational because it gives power to different economies. Agricultural states deserve a say in how the country is run just as industrial states do. But agricultural states have more dispersed population. It's only fair.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I starred your posts I got it.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Without the Electoral College, there would be a civil war within 2 election cycles.

Steal representation from every other state in the nation and you will have justified it.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
People who are against the EC are the reason it exists. The end.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

It works !!!

Can you imaging what U.S. History would look like if the EC was never thought of !!

We see enough Mob Rule with the States as it is.

Someone wrote a book about it, called The Hunger Games.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Brilliant idea, innovative to make certain every part of the country gets a say in the fed. the only issue I would say exists is they should probably split the points from the individual states based on the total votes rather than the winner take all.
I am not even 100% certain that needs to happen, but that is the only adjustment I can see ever being feesable, switch to pure democraty, good god no.

To the best of my knowledge democracy never worked beyond a city state size... and even then it worked well if you had a strong charasmatic leader that could keep the mob pointed in the right direction. Other than that, train wreck of epic proprtions.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

That's your ++

Kirsten Guiltybrand too !!

She an electoral nightmare on elm street.

😤

Next time you see her in front of the cameras Screeching, Watch her eyes!!!! I won't tell you what to watch for, but her eyes tell it all about her being a professional BSer! You can U2U me when you see it!! I was watching her screeching the other day and noticed it for the first time and was WTF?

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have a feeling that if the electoral college went the other way then both parties would switch their arguments for and against it. Trump called the electoral college a "disaster for a democracy" back in 2012. I'm sure he feels totally different about that now, he's probably a huge fan.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join