It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Rate Hits The Lowest Level Since 1969 Does Obama Still want Credit?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Edumakated

it's not expanding through genuine growth though most of the expansion has come in the form of debt, look at the numbers it's in the data

you work in real estate you probably see it more than some of us do, I work in construction I see nothing but debt purchases and business's going deeper into debt

I don't disagree that there are some structural issues with our economy, but those are really another topic imho. At a macro level, the economy is humming because businesses feel government is getting out of the way. It is a confidence booster.

I work in real estate and the compliance/regulatory barriers heaped on the industry after the crash definitely was a drag. 95% of the regulations haven't done sh*t but raise costs to the consumer and make the entire industry less efficient. However, they allow some egghead bureaucrat / politician to brag about how they "stopped predatory lending" or some other nebulous claim that can't be proven but it sounds good to the ill informed.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: LSU2018

You said nobody's pay increased. I told you mine did. Amazon just raised their minimum wage to $15 an hour, they're not the only company to increase wages.

Then I explained they don't increase because purchasing power goes down.

As for Amazon, they also took away bonuses and stock options to achieve that, it was a stunt.

I figured it would be. Give it time though, maybe things will change. I miss the good ol days of the early 2000's.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

But we will see if there is any "trickle down", or if corporations/stock holders just pocket it.

That's kind of a dumb statement.

I and anybody with a 401K is a shareholder and I also own stock.

Many in 08' would tell you how quick that sentiment can change.

That said, most 401ks now are mostly international stocks and bonds. Domestic stocks in the target year plans (2035,2040,2045 ect) are usually between 10-30%

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

But we will see if there is any "trickle down", or if corporations/stock holders just pocket it.

That's kind of a dumb statement.

I and anybody with a 401K is a shareholder and I also own stock.

It shows how ignorant some people are on financial /economic issues...

Anyone with a 401k should be doing backflips....

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

At a macro level, the economy is humming because businesses feel government is getting out of the way. It is a confidence booster.

I can agree with that assessment. However I cannot agree with the we are at the end of the rainbow pie in the sky narrative being pushed.

There is major problems.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

a reply to: shawmanfromny

Even if Obama/Trump take credit, it's not really that great of a metric in context.

The numbers are so low because the middle class hasn't seen wage increases that match inflation.

Many people who should be retired are going back to work to make ends meet, and many people have two or more jobs.

The US has seen steady growth, and increase in productivity, yet the middle class is shrinking every year, surpassed by Canada for the first time a year or two ago.

Hard to have wages increase when you keep bringing in illegals to depress wage growth.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

it's also hard to increase wages when there's little to no real competition in the marketplace

barrier to entry for small to mid size business's especially in construction is excuse my language F***** YUGE

edit on 5-10-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Even if Obama/Trump take credit, it's not really that great of a metric in context.

The numbers are so low because the middle class hasn't seen wage increases that match inflation.

Many people who should be retired are going back to work to make ends meet, and many people have two or more jobs.

The US has seen steady growth, and increase in productivity, yet the middle class is shrinking every year, surpassed by Canada for the first time a year or two ago.

Hard to have wages increase when you keep bringing in illegals to depress wage growth.

I'm in no way for illegal immigrantation.

But they are filling jobs we won't for the most part.

I'm talking about middle class, not entry level.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Trump simply brought confidence back into the market and the economy is expanding as it should have all along.

Obama and his policies created and air of uncertainty which constrained investment. Businesses don't want to invest / expand when they aren't sure if government is going to put their boot on the neck of the business through higher taxes, regulations, ACA, etc. The constant regulations / bureaucracy makes it hard for businesses to invest for the long term and grow when all they can do is focus on compliance.

Yeah, the idea of a business man being president seems to have given the US economy a nice little sugar high... The reality is though, the US economy was already steadily improving before Trump even became president.

I mean, from what I understand, a thriving US economy is good for the global economy... So, its probably fair to say that its in everyone's best interest to see the US economy continue to thrive.

I guess the question is though... was it better to have the US economy slowly but surely improving, based on the reality of the situation, as it was when Obama was president?

Or is it better to have this sudden sugar rush boom, based purely on speculation... as it has due to Trump being president?

I guess time will tell...

edit on 5-10-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I'm in no way for illegal immigrantation.

But they are filling jobs we won't for the most part.

I'm talking about middle class, not entry level.

No. They aren't. That's a crazy lie. There are some jobs that are best given to immigrants, but the legal kind can take them just fine.

Construction, warehouse, factory, cleaning ... tons of jobs hire illegals to depress wages. Anyone telling you otherwise is simply lying. Every day I walk to work and see 20-30 hispanic men who can't speak a word of English all on the way to the construction site.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yawn. 50 year unemployment lows.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Yawn. 50 year unemployment lows.

Not according to Trumps own words... during his presidential campaign.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Keep crying.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Just for fun, here is the video of Obama saying Trump couldn't bring in more jobs and that he would need a magic wand to do so.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tompdx3
a reply to: notsure1

Yeah, he is killing something alright. But it is nothing good however you wish to spin it in your head!

Name it.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Yeah, he is killing something alright. But it is nothing good however you wish to spin it in your head!

This is called "denial"

Or just the partisan circle jerk.

Trump supporters say the economy is great because of him. The left says this is all coming in from the end of Obama's reign.

Aside from the stock market, the economy isn't that great. Considering nothing fixed what happened in 08', it surely could happen again, and many say it may be worse.

If you look at average Americans, their pay isn't increasing, and debt continues to mount on them and the country.

What happened in 08' was a lack of oversight and regulation, resulting in a party buying votes with mortgages.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454
Allow me to name it, if you will. He’s killing Syrians. He’s killing Yemenis. He’s killing the US dollar as the world reserve currency. He’s killing the us status as hegemon by forcing Brics, the sco, and other conglomerates to form faster as a protection from American imperialism. He’s killing the us reputation abroad. He’s killing trade. But I’m all for the last 4 because what’s bad for the us is often good for the rest of the world.

He’s also killing the Great Lakes. He’s killing education. I could go on.

Oh, and we all know, for a fact, that an even bigger bust than 08 will be coming soon, I predict within the next 5 years, because the BANKS WERE NEVER REGULATED TO PREVENT THEIR FINANCIAL SHENANIGANS. Their rapid recent deregulation is only accelerating the process.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: notsure1

This is called "denial"

Or just the partisan circle jerk.

Trump supporters say the economy is great because of him. The left says this is all coming in from the end of Obama's reign.

Aside from the stock market, the economy isn't that great. Considering nothing fixed what happened in 08', it surely could happen again, and many say it may be worse.

If you look at average Americans, their pay isn't increasing, and debt continues to mount on them and the country.

What happened in 08' was a lack of oversight and regulation, resulting in a party buying votes with mortgages.

And it will happen again because nothing was done.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

He's killing unemployment.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

a reply to: pexx421

He's killing unemployment.

I'll admit like fools said earlier he has had more of an impact than many presidents. That said many people don't have the jobs they were trained to do, and many have two or more. A lot of the filled jobs now are part time (that one we can thank Obama and the ACA for)

But it's not where it needs to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join