It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Rate Hits The Lowest Level Since 1969 Does Obama Still want Credit?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think it’s more that govt lies and manipulation of statistics has hit its highest rate since the 1960s. Wages went up 2.8%? My wages used to go up 5% a year. Every year. Until 08, when my company only made 300 million in profit, but said they couldn’t afford to give us raises because “the economy”. And now I’m supposed to flip my sht cause someone out there has 2.8% higher wages this year? While the stock market is rocking and rolling in record profits and unemployment is at an all time low? Sorry. Those numbers don’t add up.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I certainly don't mind things being shook up a little. Obviously the status quo wasn't working past the nineties.

I am just skeptical is all. Unfortunately it's rare people actually discuss the content or substance of much anymore. The pro vs anti-Trump lines get drawn in the sand before a true discussion can be had, muddying the waters.

I'm hopeful, but unfortunately the biggest problem our country has is citizens are unwilling to root for the country above partisan politics. It's all about tribalism and their team winning. Plenty of people would be happy to see this fail just so it's a blight on his policy. The inverse is plenty of people don't question what he does because he's their guy.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: Tompdx3
a reply to: notsure1

Yeah, he is killing something alright. But it is nothing good however you wish to spin it in your head!

This is called "denial"

Or just the partisan circle jerk.

Trump supporters say the economy is great because of him. The left says this is all coming in from the end of Obama's reign.

Aside from the stock market, the economy isn't that great. Considering nothing fixed what happened in 08', it surely could happen again, and many say it may be worse.

If you look at average Americans, their pay isn't increasing, and debt continues to mount on them and the country.

Normally I would say that a president alone cannot have a total effect on an economy. Trump is an exception. His massive cancellation of business regulations set this in motion. It really did, and it is kind of funny that no president attempted that before. Were they afraid to? Did they just not think of it? Or was it because most of them were lawyers by trade and have no idea what running a real business is like. I mean face it, a lawyer gets more wealth by influence, not by actual work or some sort of product that he or she produces. They have no idea how lawfare messes with business and frankly they don't care because it enhances and makes their industry more wealthy. As a matter of fact I would say with much reason that we have lived in the "age of lawfare" since the end of World War 2. Probably longer.

Also the way that he is handling trade deals on a per nation basis instead of a "group of nations" basis is also very smart. Makes you wonder why we (and everyone else for that matter) have been doing it in this globalist manner for so long.

Welp, you pretty much nailed that one.

👍

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You are making great points, they are not analyzing the market from a logical/ objective point of view they are just parroting their given partisan narratives without taking any time or putting any effort into looking into anything.

The key points here that no one is talking about which you have mentioned;

Highest debt to income ratio ever
Highest student loan debt ever
Subprime auto loan crisis looming
Wage stagnation and devaluing of the dollar

These things are the key economic indicator's people need to be watching if they are looking to validate their partisan point of view.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Hold on though... Didn't Trump claim the governments unemployment rates were "phoney numbers", during his presidential campaign?

During the televised press conference in which he announced his tax plan, Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump returned to a claim he has made before -- that the official unemployment rate -- currently 5.1 percent -- woefully undercounts the percentage of people who are unemployed.

During the Sept. 28, 2015, media event, Trump described an unemployment rate in the range of 5 percent as "such a phony number."

"The number isn't reflective," he said. "I've seen numbers of 24 percent -- I actually saw a number of 42 percent unemployment. Forty-two percent." He continued, "5.3 percent unemployment -- that is the biggest joke there is in this country. … The unemployment rate is probably 20 percent, but I will tell you, you have some great economists that will tell you it's a 30, 32. And the highest I've heard so far is 42 percent."

Source

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
I think it’s more that govt lies and manipulation of statistics has hit its highest rate since the 1960s. Wages went up 2.8%? My wages used to go up 5% a year. Every year. Until 08, when my company only made 300 million in profit, but said they couldn’t afford to give us raises because “the economy”. And now I’m supposed to flip my sht cause someone out there has 2.8% higher wages this year? While the stock market is rocking and rolling in record profits and unemployment is at an all time low? Sorry. Those numbers don’t add up.

thanks pexx and as usual you are actually talking about real market values and indicator's

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yeah, german unemployent rates drop from month to month, since years, as we are told...

Problem is that a huge number of people, working poor, can´t live from their wages anymore. They work and have to deal with Hartz4, the social "welfare" program. These people once started to work to not get in touch with that Hartz4 BS. If people need three unfair paid jobs, low wage temporary work to survive, you will have good unemployment numbers as a government, who wonders? Government with it´s market conform "democracy"(Merkel) first splitted one normal, fair paid job into three low wage slave jobs. Next problem is that the unemployment numbers are additionally faked, millions are missing there, because of the government using cheap tricks.

It´s laughable how governments celebrate themselves with such unemployment numbers, while in reality everything looks not so well like seen through government glasses, through the glasses of the greedy and rich, of the banksters, of the corporations, of the tax dodgers, of those living in the ivory tower and those that don´t care for the "working drones", which make them richer and richer...

edit on 5 10 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

edit on 5 10 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Yeah, he is killing something alright. But it is nothing good however you wish to spin it in your head!

Awww! Aren't you just the cutest thing!!

Please, don't mind me, by all means, I insist. Continue!

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
here is a chart from the Bureau of labor statistics.
The gradual decline in unemployment looks pretty steady from 2010 until the beginning of this year.

Can a conclusion be drawn from this information?

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

The last election was so polarizing that in some regards the status quo may be aloud to continue while people are stuck on reciting arguments from the script.

Both parties are in bad shape if you ask me, and I think the last election was proof. We almost (and should have) had two non establishment candidates represent both parties at the same time. We have seen glimpses of these kinds of candidate sneak their way onto a major ticket, but not at the same time, at least in recent history.

While that was hopeful for me, it didn't take long for people to slip back into playing into the hands of those who orchestrate the very establishments voters showed we lost trust for.

Until people start demanding things with their votes, the future doesn't look good. We're essentially frogs in a pot, we'll see if the water boils with a repeat of 08' the we essentially slapped a band-aid on.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I also notice the deregulation seems biased as well, favoring his friends and big business. Deregulation of oil, mining, etc. I notice there’s no deregulation of healthcare, or supplements, ie things that could break big corporate power. Deregulation of weed and drugs? Nope. Deregulation of workers, ie we need umpteen licenses for everything we want to do? Nope. Just deregulation of pollution laws and such. I’m surprised he hasn’t rolled back the regulations on labor safety, age, wages, etc.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
And yet the middle class is almost gone, w wages stating equivalent to those of 40 years ago while CEOs are getting richer.

And these employment rates are useless considering the amount of people who have dropped out of the job force.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
I also notice the deregulation seems biased as well, favoring his friends and big business. Deregulation of oil, mining, etc. I notice there’s no deregulation of healthcare, or supplements, ie things that could break big corporate power. Deregulation of weed and drugs? Nope. Deregulation of workers, ie we need umpteen licenses for everything we want to do? Nope. Just deregulation of pollution laws and such. I’m surprised he hasn’t rolled back the regulations on labor safety, age, wages, etc.

Excellent point, this is probably the one thing I dislike most about trends of the last two years.

Fossil fuels cost the country a lot, and we end up making trade imbalances to keep that industry thriving.

If we made clean energy at home and made a significant effort to switch to electricity where we can... We would create a new industry where that money stays at home.

Wherever anyone stands on the global warming debate, why should I not want clean air and water? People act like we're seeing benefit from all the pipelines and fracking, but that is just large corporations who are seeing the benefit.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

oh yeah duhhh the youth don't want to work

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I agree. I've never seen such blind adherence to a political candidate in my life. Talk about ridiculous, from both sides.

The No Agenda guys coined the liberals as Dimension B and I decided to coin the ardent right wingers Dimension C.

They are both lunatic fringes now mainstream ideology.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I'll give Obama credit... Credit for effing the economy up so bad that our elected president was able to reverse everything Obama did, therefore bringing the economy back to prominence.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

you make a good point, the barrier to market entry is still astronomical, artificial scarcity brought on by ridiculous licensing and local and big government regulation is causing a massive amount of inflation that's unnecessary

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I agree. I've never seen such blind adherence to a political candidate in my life. Talk about ridiculous, from both sides.

I think the country was just as bad with Obama.

He is so celebrated even though his administration was a continuation of Bush era policies.

The problem is truly that both sides of the isle have aloud the very people we dispise put wool over our eyes for the only constituents they represent, the wealthy and the powerful.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I'll give Obama credit... Credit for effing the economy up so bad that our elected president was able to reverse everything Obama did, therefore bringing the economy back to prominence.

What did Obama do to eff up the economy? (I don't like him, but I'm curious what your answer is)

And what makes you so confident that the economy is at all close to what it was in the 80's and 90's?

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I won't mention any names, but ^^^^^somebody^^^^^ doesn't like living in a great country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join