It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HiPoint Carbine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I am going to pick up a HiPoint carbine in .45 I ordered locally.

My gun guy scoffed at it until I told him what I want to use it for, self-protection for me and my dogs out hiking.

Cost was only $300 and it's guaranteed for life, unlike my Daewoo with a broken bolt handle....can't find the part.

Gun Guy said the 10mm was the way to go, but I want to use it for plinking, .45 is cheap.

Some people say it's the closest thing to a Thompson. For the price, I don't have to worry about it, I could always get something else. Now, I know that I'm approved to buy, this is the first time in 25 years!

Anyway....

Thoughts..?

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
I want to use it for, self-protection for me and my dogs out hiking.

... but I want to use it for plinking, .45 is cheap.

Are you hiking Jurassic Park?

Who plinks with a .45?

Otherwise seems pretty sweet... but many hikers would see this as way to much too lug around long distance and it's kind of a big caliber to be "plinking".

edit on 5-10-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

My brother bought one and I like it. For all the negative stuff I've read about it, I was quite shocked at how well it shoots. We've ran several hundred rounds through it without any problems.

For the price, you really can't go wrong with it.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Hipoint is no frills or thrills, just bullet proof guns.

There is a YouTube video where a guy literally shoots one of their pistols in the slide and still uses it.

edit on 5-10-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I've owned several hi points. Owned a 9mm carbine rifle. It had a red dot laser sight when they first came out. Very reliable, lots if fun and light.

Downside was accuracy. I actually preferred my stainless 22 ruger, and a light sidearm for plinking and hiking. The ruger was very accurate, and a .32 s&w long cartridge revolver was accurate and powerful enough for protection from wildlife etc.

If you're looking for accuracy the carbine won't impress. However if you're looking for good reliable fun and close in Protection you'll enjoy it.

Spent many a day shooting up targets with the kids and that hi point 9mm, but didn't do much more than that with it.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It was a toss up for me between that and the Kel Tec Sub 2000. After holding and firing both, the Sub 2000 in .40 S&W was the better choice for me. The fact that I can fold it up and fit it in my pack is a huge bonus. Although I will admit to spending about $500 on mods after the $400 price tag...

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I have heard nothing but good in all the reviews I have seen. I had one of their ugly pistols too and it worked fine. The C9. 90% of gun counter people are morons. Get the caliber YOU want.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I had one in 9mm. They're great for what they are. I will say though, don't plink too much if you want it to stay reliable as a self-protection firearm. They get dirty QUICK and need constant cleaning. The more it's used, the quicker the thing gets dirty after a full break down and clean.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

HiPoint is fine for the price. There are obviously much better firearms in every catagory. The .45 acp os a great round, in your platform Id say you should be fairly accurate at close range.

I collect firearms, and have personally never opted to purchase any from HiPoint, but you like it, and thats what counts. Do you know what twist the barrel is? How many lbs is the trigger pull? Have you fired a few hundred rounds through it?

As far as plinking....45 acp is not cheap, there are vastly cheaper rounds as mentioned above...ie .22lr , for the same price you can get a highly accurate to around 100 yards (50 is better) ruger 10/22 and get 500 rds for 70 bucks rather than 15-20 bucks for 20 .45acp.

.45 just isnt a "plinkin" round imo, but when I plink I fire 300 to 1500 rounds, mileage varies.

good looking weapon

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hi-point are effective from my personal experience with them. Never shot the carbine, but it looks like they designed it in a plastic housing with a dozen screws to take it apart. That no bueno for me personally

The mossberg 22lr was made the same way. I don't want to need to spend 25 minutes just taking it apart. I got rid of it in a trade.

Hey, if it fits your needs though it seems like a reasonable choice

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds through a Hi-Point 40 cal.
Feels cheap as hell but works surprisingly well.
But I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 12 gauge shotgun to defend myself in the woods

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I have the old design in .40, and love it. It's not pretty, but it's a tank! I've never had an kind of issue with it; it's as accurate as i'd ever need at 50/100 yards.

Py

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
When I hike I usually bring a pistol with me. Typically I will open carry my Glock 19.

Rarely do I bring a rifle. Most anything you can kill with a pistol caliber carbine can be killed with a pistol.

The Hi Point carbine is a heavy beast made with substandard metallurgical practices. There's a reason it's cheap.

Torture tests from idiots like Demo Ranch on YouTube (Who regularly do stupid and unsafe things for views and get paid to review # guns like this one), does NOT equal a true analysis

Proceed at your own risk, but you have been warned.

I don't care about anyone's anecdotal quips about how great your Hi-Point is. I'm glad it works for you...I'm sure it will continue to work...until it doesn't.

Same goes with companies like SCCY. They work until the cast ejector snaps and now you have a manual slide action pistol.
edit on 5 10 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

originally posted by: FlyingFox
I want to use it for, self-protection for me and my dogs out hiking.

... but I want to use it for plinking, .45 is cheap.

Are you hiking Jurassic Park?

Who plinks with a .45?

Why, everyone who can, my friend. Everyone who can.

If you are gonna sling lead, always make sure that every time you pull the trigger, you could drop maybe 3 or 4 dudes!

Make it easy on yourself, people.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

It's a nice piece of hardware. There's a lot to be said for "Bang for the buck", yes?

I'll have to check one out.

However, if you've ever tried to hit something with a Thompson, it's not really something you'd ever want to compare any rifle to, hehe.

Just make sure all the people you don't want dead are behind you.

I was young, and full of testosterone, but I damn-near walked that sucker completely around the room.

It turned out to be one of my earliest "Come to Jesus" moments...

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

as a side note...if youre willing to spend money in the neighborhood of $300, you could hold off till you accrue $500-600 and do much better.

My father used to say: wait, and buy the best tool you can afford, and you will always be happy.

I practice that with all my tools, guns included. Ruger and Smith and Wesson make vastly better arms entry level, for not a whole lot more money.

Depending on where you live, caliber and platform become important. But living with Mountain Lions, bears and wolves etc... I carry a guarenteed to fire, impossible to jam 6".454 and my wife...a 6" SnW .357 magnum both revolvers.

In the deep deep woods in the NW I take my 45-70, or .30 .30 lever

Ya wont kill a bear with a .45 acp, youll just piss it off, its only 700 pfe if I remember correctly.

My .454 with 240 grain Hornady is 2000 pfe
edit on 5-10-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies. I will check back on saturday after I pick it up.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Absolutely LOVE my hi-point carbine in 9mm. Bought a few years ago and have never had any issues with it. Is it heavier than alternatives? Yes. Is it uglier than alternatives? Absolutely! (however beauty is in the eye of the beholder) Cannot beat the hi-point warranty. My ONLY complaint is the lack of magazine options. I haven't looked in awhile so they may have more options now.

My advice is to just have fun with your new acquisition! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
He should have tested how it stood up to the FN 5.7.
It would probably punch a hole through one side and out the other.
They have nasty penetration. For those times you want to shoot the guy standing behind the guy you shot.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Congrats on your purchase Flying Fox. I hope you get what you expected and have fun with it. Too many others have already made the hi-point critique and offered more expensive options so I'll pass. You committed already by the sounds of it so let us know how it works out for you.

Cheers

Eta: You could have made many worse choices in caliber for a brush gun. The .45 round is heavy enough that foliage won't always send your round off course on the oblique like say a .22 would.
edit on 6-10-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join