It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bottle liquor for $40,000? Nope that will only buy you one shot .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The majority of time I like my beer. But from time to time I like to have a taste of good whiskey.For me pappy van winkle is my limit . A shot of that in a bar depending on age can set you back anywhere from $50-$200.

When my son-in-law told me that a bottle of whiskey sold for $1 million recently. It blew me away I mean talk about disposable income. It was distilled in 1926 and aged 60 years in a cask. They were only able to pour 24 bottles out of the cask which I assume happened in 1988 .

Well it got my mind wondering and my mouth watering just thinking about tasting it. A single malt whiskey aged that long must taste glorious!

So I looked up a article. It was auctioned in Hong Kong and was bought by some China man. Rated by a whiskey expert that said.

“Its exceptional rarity and quality puts it in a league of its own, and the world’s most serious whisky collectors will wait patiently for many years for a bottle to come onto the market.”

Apparently that was before they opened the bottle. Because the next expert said.

When I tasted it, the whisky was quite intense, dry, and tasted of dried fruit with some hint of warming spice,” said David Robertson, a former master distiller at the Macallan”, according to The New York Times. But I had to try a lot of whiskies over the years and in my humble opinion, there were a number that were better than this one.

That completely dashed my expectations and ruined my fantasies . But then I thought what if one of the other ones was Pappy van winkle ?

There are a few morals to this story .

Expectations are rarely met.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

And it’s all about marketing .

Hic

edit on 4-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I've drank a lot of scotch and American whiskeys. Cost and age is not the sole factor in "good" IMO. I've had some fantastic 12 and 15 year olds that will only set you back 40 to 80 dollars a bottle.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I don't drink much alcohol. I recall at a fancy corporate dinner we sprang for a $1000 bottle of wine. I honestly didn't find it dramatically better than the $50 one...

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I've got a nice bottle of 18 year old macallan I've been waiting to crack open with friends.....but I dont have any friends.....so there it sits, in the cupboard behind the "cheap" scotch.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I watched this documentary called 'Adam ruins everything' and he pretty much put the kibosh on the whole "connoisseur" crap.

Wine experts were served a cheap wine in an expensive bottle and vice versa-they couldn't tell the difference. Don't trust these so called experts, whiskey is whiskey and a twelve year old single blend is no different from a 400 year old auld lang syne or whatever name sounds fancy.

It doesn't matter about the age, it's the desired effect that matters. Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to drink drunk until i'm wine...

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I’m from Kentucky and although I’m not a big liquor drinker. I know my way around a bottle of bourbon or sour mash.

Yet I agree that the majority of the mid range liquors will suffice.

But occasionally everyone likes to get wowed. We’ve got a new bourbon distillery starting up. It’s clled the new riff, at this point the best you can get is four years old at around $40.

I got a bottle out of the first batch and it was impressive. In about 8 or 10 years I think it will be in the top 10 . Keep your eyes out for it .

BTW my niece got married there they have a room for receptions. They took a picture in front of the still as a wedding photo. My mom said great hillbillies, stills, all we need is a shotgun now .

edit on 4-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I started drinking a lot of small batch Kentucky stuff after I exhausted the scotch section at my local mgm.

Was pretty impressed actually, lots of good American stuff out there.

I tried some tincup the other day, I believe it's from Colorado, pretty good actually.

Variety is the spice of life, whether whisky... or women...

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Whiskey makes me do things I regret....I don't drink whiskey any more....

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Dont blame the whiskey, it's all you.

I never blame the whisky.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
In my humble opinion, certain liquors and even certain brands of liquors can have slightly different initial effects on you or buzz. There's some truth to it. I read that different liquors that are distilled different ways starting with different ingredients etc have small but differing levels of all sorts of chemicals similar to alcohol such as methanol and propanolol which causes the subtle differences. Does anyone have info to share on this?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I watched this documentary called 'Adam ruins everything' and he pretty much put the kibosh on the whole "connoisseur" crap.

Wine experts were served a cheap wine in an expensive bottle and vice versa-they couldn't tell the difference. Don't trust these so called experts, whiskey is whiskey and a twelve year old single blend is no different from a 400 year old auld lang syne or whatever name sounds fancy.

It doesn't matter about the age, it's the desired effect that matters. Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to drink drunk until i'm wine...

and thats the reality, people create a market and sell to the gullible.
All these things are subjective but

Just hope they distill the methanol out

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I agree $40,000 a shot is for the gullible people. I wouldn’t pay more than $20,000 .

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I have a lady friend who buys candles for $135.00 each, lots of them

www.makeupalley.com...=173574/Cire-Trudon-Spiritus-Sancti/Unlisted-Brand/Candles

each to their own, me, I drink the Sailor Jerrys or morgans, in moderation of course

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
A million bucks? That is insane! Imagine how much good he could have done for others with that much money???

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
In my humble opinion, certain liquors and even certain brands of liquors can have slightly different initial effects on you or buzz. There's some truth to it. I read that different liquors that are distilled different ways starting with different ingredients etc have small but differing levels of all sorts of chemicals similar to alcohol such as methanol and propanolol which causes the subtle differences. Does anyone have info to share on this?

I hope the level of methanol is extremly low that stuffs no bueno.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: Raggedyman

I agree $40,000 a shot is for the gullible people. I wouldn’t pay more than $20,000 .

How about 2 shots of 10l so you have a solid unbiased second opinion from the other side of the Mississippi, I’m willing to step up for ya.🤑

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

A friend of mine has a 50K collection at least including a cask of his own scotch he paid 20K to get into socal - of all of them I like CAOL ILA 18yo that I bought him after finding it in a random article, it was 75.00 it's now 95.00 ish.

Smooth scotch is overated, you can take any scotch and run it through a britta filter (which I do with vodka to remove the acetone aka hangover) and it will be super smooth.
edit on 5-10-2018 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Yessir I prefer Gibson’s Gold, 12 year old Canadian whiskey.

a reply to: MisterSpock

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I have never owned an expensive race car, nor drove one. So to me, fast and powerful has a different meaning than it might to someone with a Ferrari. I have yet to taste Pappy's, so my bar is set at a different level. I haven't spent over 100 on a bottle yet. It keeps me grounded.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It’s hard to stay grounded for most people. Everybody splurges on something now and then .

There’s a site that links people to bars that serves Pappys by the shot. But it’s hit or miss because most of the time they’re out of it before you get there .

new topics

top topics

join