It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8-Year-Old Girl Discovers Iron Age Sword In Swedish Lake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
After losing a nice pair of Vuarnet sunglasses into Lake Washington while untying a boat, I wanted to get scuba equipment and go treasure hunting, not only to get my glasses back, but to also find other stuff that people were careless enough to let fall into the drink. A young girl didn't need any special equipment other than her knee & toes to make an amazing discovery in a Swedish lake: an iron-age sword!

NPR SOURCE ARTICLE

Earlier this summer, an 8-year-old girl named Saga Vanecek was doing what she often does: wading in Sweden's Lake Vidöstern. "I like to walk around finding rocks and sticks in the water and then I usually walk around with my hands and knees in the water and in the sand," she explained to Radio Sweden yesterday. It was then that she felt something odd beneath her hand and knee. She lifted the object and saw that it had a handle. She pulled it out of the water and carried it over to her father. "Dad, I found a sword," she said. "I'm not sure you should be touching it anymore," he replied. "It looks fragile." Saga and her father took the sword to authorities and found that the sword had was very old indeed. Further searching in the lake turned up a piece of metal jewelry from 300-400 AD. /Jönköping County Museum "Indeed an amazing story!" Mikael Nordström, head of the cultural heritage department at the Jönköpings County Museum, told NPR in email. "We now believe that the sword is about 1,500 years old."

According to the museum, the sword is about 33 inches long and "exceptionally well-preserved." It even has a sheath made of wood and leather. Further searching in the lake yielded a piece of metal jewelry from A.D. 300-400.

ETA: I only buy cheap sunglasses now!

edit on 1042018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This seems like Deja vu

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Didn't this happen already ? Like about ten years ago...?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Saga

So is she the chosen one destined to save the world?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
This seems like Deja vu

I thought that at first, too- but searching ATS for the girl's name came up empty. A bit more digging came up with this:

Perhaps it was the girl who pulled the sword from lake of King Arthur in 2017? SOURCE

As pointed out in the following post, it wasn't a relic, but still an unusual find.
edit on 1042018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

This seems like Deja vu

I think you're thinking of the girl that found "excalibur" in a lake. Ended up being a movie prop.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

This seems like Deja vu

I thought that at first, too- but searching ATS for the girl's name came up empty. A bit more digging came up with this:
Perhaps it was the girl who pulled the sword from lake of King Arthur in 2017? SOURCE

Yep....that one.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Didn't this happen already ? Like about ten years ago...?

Repeats happen all the time on ATS--they just roll on through the batting order.

Kinda like your avatars

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yep, you guys are right...

Kinda like your avatars ..........right you are, I have 8 full time.. it keeps them guessing. Three Holi festival, one little kids spying and four beautiful woman

edit on 4-10-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
She is the chosen one, our savior !

All hail Saga........

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This was the article I came across earlier and thought about posting it.

motherboard.vice.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Yep, you guys are right...

Kinda like your avatars ..........right you are, I have 8 full time.. it keeps them guessing. Three Holi festival, one little kids spying and four beautiful woman

not so much guessing, I think. just scrolling past.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Sept 5th, 2017 was 1st report....and gave cause to discuss the Aurthurian legend of Lady of the Lake, that upon the death of King Arthur..Excalibur his sword was tossed into a lake...returning it to her...supposedly to come back when Arthur return in a time of great need...

edit on 5-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: coffee...none

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
#put it back
edit on 1052018 by Butterfinger because: life

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

The Swedish Excalibur looks to be somewhat tarnished.

Cracking find all the same, well done young miss.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

LOL....I know a band called "Lost Vuarnets" in your (relative) neighborhood too. Whidbey Island.

Probaby find lot of nice sunglasses in Lake Washington....especially around Mercer Island : )

new topics

top topics

join