It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial plans to house city’s homeless on CRUISE SHIP revealed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Oh I can see so many things that could go wrong with this.

But I hope that it does work.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Heating, cooling and sewage systems could be made pretty efficient on a ship. Like I said it would have to be done right. The government has plenty of land to dock them on.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Who's the Progressive looney over there ? Let us know how it works out.

Not sure, l live in the US.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
You know.... it's a charitable idea, but in the real world....? If it were only that easy.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

You buy it at a cost that cannot depreciate, it already has depreciated so you get it very cheap. Dry dock it on LAND.

Impossible. It would still depreciate.

How you ever seen the plumbing systems on a cruise ship? Forget the fact that they would have to deliver water and haul away the waste but who maintains this?

Add on the fact these ships are floating hotels, not apartments. They will have a bed and a bathroom but that's it. No kitchen or kitchenette and almost no room for anything (barely a coset). I guess its still a step up for homeless people but at a cost that is incredible.

Last but not least what drydock is going to take a run down cruise ship full of homeless indefinitely? Drydocking is not just pulling a ship up on the beach and being done with it. They literally pull a ship into a holding area than have to drain the water or pull the ship onto land. So what drydock would they use? I don't know any dock that will give up that much real estate for the risk of homeless running rampant on their yard.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

these ships are floating hotels, not apartments. They will have a bed and a bathroom but that's it. No kitchen or kitchenette and almost no room for anything (barely a coset). I guess its still a step up for homeless people but at a cost that is incredible.

Last but not least what drydock is going to take a run down cruise ship full of homeless indefinitely? Drydocking is not just pulling a ship up on the beach and being done with it. They literally pull a ship into a holding area than have to drain the water or pull the ship onto land. So what drydock would they use? I don't know any dock that will give up that much real estate for the risk of homeless running rampant on their yard.

Maybe they would look for work then.

Shovel ready jobs, build them on government land.
edit on 4-10-2018 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I agree, its never easy.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
You know Looking at Mars..... your name made gears spin in my head....... what if............lol.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Plenty of land there and sinking would not be a problem.

edit on 4-10-2018 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
If they do there will be crap all over the decks within a few days and the passageways will stink of urine.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

A cruise ship? My totally inappropriate immediate thoughts in no particular order:

- Where are they taking them? "...eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest..."

- Will they be passengers or conscripted cruise line workers?

- Will they bring them back? Or is this a delivery to some other place? The Namib Desert or Ascension Island?

- Who thought this up? Better yet, who approved this? Was there no adult supervision at the meeting?

- I swear I saw a movie like this once. Give me a few to get my memory on.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Set it adrift in the Bermuda Triangle

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I wonder who owns the boat, and how they are connected to the person making this decision. Because there is no way this is cost effective. Im sure the owner knows it will turn into a floating latrine within months, and then he can write off the whole ship.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I believe they would want to rent it, as they wouldn't be responsible for upkeep and maintenance, or if anything went structurally wrong.

The government could claim that's why they were paying such a high rental price, to put the responsibility onto the shoulders of the housing company.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Would they also receive Room Service after their Delousing before Boarding ?

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Suspicious idea at best. Lots of homeless disappearing overboard...

Oddly enough that was my very first thought just from reading the headline. A few oooops here and there and there is space for a few more. Reminds me of the whole prison ship idea. I see this as not a solution but more of a move the problem out of the view of the rest of society.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Set it adrift in the Bermuda Triangle

Why would you want to do that Narc?

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
Ah but when you think of the possible kickbacks that will accrue from such a zany plan coming to fruition ey?
The real problem of homelessness has no solution under the present system....none at all.............

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY
- I swear I saw a movie like this once. Give me a few to get my memory on.

Waterworld ?

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm shocked at the attitude of some of you towards the homeless.

Heaven forbid you should ever find yourself on your a*se battling severe mental health or addiction issues.

The homeless are real people, with real stories to tell, and these stories are usually full of hurt, pain, and loss; these people need help, not derision.

Shocking.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join