It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Peter Jennings Reads An ATS Post on The Daily Show

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The AboveTopSecret.com community enjoyed a bit of exposure from a guest appearance of Peter Jennings on Comedy Central tonight as a conspiracy theory post from our own Dr Love was read in full and verbatim as part of a bit with Jon Stewart.

Jennings appeared on the popular Daily Show in promotion of tomorrow night's ABC special Peter Jennings Reporting: UFO's --- Seeing is Believing. In reference to the enormous popularity of UFOlogy and rampant on-line community speculation, he read a specific conspiracy theory post the text of which had apparently been copied from ATS and sent to him by his son.

Originally posted by Dr Love
A while back Peter Jennings did a special on the JFK assassination. He tried to convince us that LHO acted alone in the face of an overwhelming number of skeptics I might add. What if a deal was cut with ABC and Peter Jennings that if he did this JFK documentary for 'the shadow government' that still denies there was more than one gunman, then 'they' would let him be the first anchorman of the big 3 to start the disclosure process. It would be very tempting for him to want to be the focal point of the greatest revelation in the history of mankind.

That Jenning's found the theory compelling enough for comment (even in jest) is a testament to Dr Love's creativity. That ATS made the Daily Show via Peter Jennings... well that's just cool.

Kudos to Dr Love and the ATS community all around! Members have made this the premier conspiracy and UFO research destination on the net!

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Peter Jennings Reporting: UFO's on Feb. 24
Peter Jennings on Daily Show

[edit on 24-2-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Very cool news indeed

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
No offense, but I just watched the interview and it didn't sound to me like he read it because it was compelling.

From his tone it sounded more like he thought it was ridiculous. Don't flame me not saying that I felt that way just saying that's the feeling i got from watching and hearing him read it.

It did seem that he was holding back when John Stewart asked Peter his opinion.

I got the feeling he believes a lot more than his willing to say on camera.

At any right it should be a great program, and they did put about a year into it, not bad and better than most UFO specials which are put together in months and sometimes weeks.

Spiderj

Spiderj

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
No matter how you look at this, this is a score not only for ATS, but for those thinkers who search for "Truth" as well. A dent may have been made, but the more we keep poking and don't give up, the bigger it will become.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This episode of The Daily Show will re-air again February 24th at 10:00AM and 7:00PM, so if you missed it this time, don't fret. Set your VCRs or (working) DVRs.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj
No offense, but I just watched the interview and it didn't sound to me like he read it because it was compelling.

From his tone it sounded more like he thought it was ridiculous. Don't flame me not saying that I felt that way just saying that's the feeling i got from watching and hearing him read it.

Well yeah, he read it as a joke. Obviously he didn't think he might be in cahoots with "the shadow government"
or attempt to give that impression at all.

In fact, he went out of his way to "debunk" the theory as ridiculous didn't he? Hmmm.

How compelling.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
So does his son visit these forums or what? Maybe his son is a member here?

MORE LINES

MORE LINES

MORE LINES

EDIT: Edited to add more lines to avoid annoying U2U's from mods.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by CmptrN3rd5]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
His son wouldn't have to be a member to have seen the text. With the internet, search engines, email, and instant messaging from friends interested in the subject could have led Jennings's son here. All it would take is somebody who knew the son personally to take a few seconds of web searching on google to send him a link to that specific thread or post here. I would hope its more than just that though.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
well - im not really too familiar with DR. Love's rhetoric, but big ups to him and everyone else here at ATS.. you just did a train on Peter Jennings and that comedy central dude. since i dont get either ABC or Comedy Central, im really hoping some of the footage from the 'special' is put online. those of you out there watching, keep the blind updated.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost
since i dont get either ABC or Comedy Central, im really hoping some of the footage from the 'special' is put online. those of you out there watching, keep the blind updated.

It should be put up on their site soon.

Celebrity Interviews

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I like the quote "I dont care what people say about me, just make sure they spell my name right". Its really irrelevent what context ATS was brought up, the fact that it was is great

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Cearly, regardless of how Jennings remarked on this commit, it's has brought more attention to this forum.... I will be more interested now in seeing the Neilson Rating for ABC... This will prove the real response! Afterwards, I suspect there will be a increase of hit's for ATS, as well as new members.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by jessemole]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
It would be very interesting to see if the hits to the site rose heaps and the hits direct from search engines..and the members

and Hi to all those who found the site through the good old television..not that I watch television myself..not that I could see it anyhows cos i am in Australia...

But its great for the site...and for Dr Love too..congrats...

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I watched the show last night, and totally missed them saying it was from ATS, I just assumed it was an email. But hearing Peter Jennings read the post, at the words "shadow government" I immediately shook my head and said "That sounds like someone from ATS."

Anyway, both Jennings and Stewart were not exactly complimentary of the post. This is not to say I think any less of Dr Love, who has some very interesting posts, it just brings into mind a very common theme among newscasters everywhere: They always choose the worst possible example to show to their audience.

Such as: people who live in an area with a long history of yearly mudslides in the same season, claiming they had no idea it was coming, neighbors of a house on fire stating the obvious "the house burned, it sure was hot", or inarticulate witnesses of accidents "Thems was popos hemmin' up the walks so's I gets twisted with the crew. Yo!"

In this case, Dr Love was neither oblivious, obvious, or inarticulate It was quite a well-written post, and thought out. However, a particular catchphrase used in the post, such as "shadow government" was the sort that immediately closes the mind of the listener.

Many of us either automatically assume or believe that others think as we do, and using a shortcut phrase such as "shadow government" is merely a useful abbreviation. Unfortunately, to the outside reader, this conjures up images of Mel Gibson during the first half of the movie "Conspiracy Theory" (before we found out he was right). As a result, the reader's mind closes, they stop listening, and future posts by the same person, or associated persons are viewed with disdain.

Even John Stewart, who, if you've ever watched his show, would be the most likely to take many posts here seriously, balks at such terms.

Regardless of your beliefs, whether or not we are ruled by a Shadow Government, Grays, Reptillians, Vampires from Atlantis, or even just some unqualified arse who had too many friends in high places, please remember this when you post. So many people here have so many well thought-out ideas that I'm certain people would listen to, if only the words one chooses to use were more judicious.

Again, this is not remotely intended as a bash on Dr Love. Indeed, we should all be thanking him/her for getting us on an extremely popular show, read by an extremely popular newscaster. I'd be willing to bet we get an influx of people checking out this site. Though most of them will likely be coming here to make fun of us, or to "read all the crazies", there will probably be at least one or two good thinkers in the crowd who will contribute.

(later correction: Mel Gibson, not William Gibson)

[edit on 2/24/2005 by thelibra]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I watch the Daily SHow every night, and the one night I actually miss it it's with Peter Jennings, talking about the UFO special, and on top of that, he reads a quote from an ATS post. Pardon me while I go slam my head in the door for a few minutes...

I'll have to set the dvr for the 7:00 pm show today (I think that's when they re-air the previous nights shows).

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I watched it and as soon as Jennings finished reading Dr Love's quote, my husband said, "that sounds like something one of your people would say" and I told him, it did sound familiar, like I read it before... guess I did
along with Peter Jennings son Chris (he did say his son found it)

Well Chris, you'll probably wont reveal yourself, but tell your dad he is looking good and I hope his journalism continues to evolve, taking into consideration us internet people and news not in heavy rotation in the mainstream and maybe ABC can do a special on Global Warming and Climate Change in the near future, it should make for good ratings

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thanks.
And just to clarify (as several already have) AboveTopSecret.com wasn't mentioned. If Jennings story was on the up and up (meaning he wasn't covering for being a lurker himself) his son just copied the text and sent him the post via e-mail.

What's cool to me is how so many of us immediately recognized the comment (though I had to look) and we found it buried here on our own message forums. Not a big deal, not a big post, not even that serious or previously noticed a post, but there it was. We had found it before he left the stage with Stewart.

Just like many had thought gosh that sounds like somebody from here, it was. It wasn't "fake" and more importantly, assuming Jennings thought he could just read a single buried post off the "wild wild web" and never get called on it, he was wrong. Or he was quite right, if he knew it would get back to us. Not really sure what to make of that. I prefer to think a newscaster "n00b" that just decided to look into UFO's in the past year would have alot to learn from a community of people that's spent years researching and compiling the same UFO evidence he's about to make "news." A shout out would be nice even if it is under the table.

Now there's good reason to be upset should anyone take a single view from a single member and say that's that community in a nutshell. I don't think Jennings did that. In fact, I know he didn't. We weren't mentioned. But we know where he got it. That's just cool.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I saw Jennings on the Daily Show last night as well, and was pleased to hear
him read what he did. I recognized it at once as from ATS/or at least eerily similiar.

I also saw him on ABC's Good Morning America Wednesday am. On that show he appeared quite nervous, like he was waiting for the interviewer to call him some sort of freak. He appeared much more relaxed on the Daily Show.

As an individual having had a few interesting experiences with flying things of an unIDed nature, I'm looking fwd to the show tonite.

I do fall in the camp of any publicity is good pubilicity and it don't sound as if Jennings
will be big debunking.

Props to Dr. Love and ATS and John Stewart(dude is goofy, but he provides a strong altrenate voice in cable/dish mainstream.

Enjoy the show tonite everyone. I look fwd to the follow-up discussions.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Me and the wife were watching that last night. Thats the first thing I thought...She asked me if any news organizations read our site for info. I told her I was almost positive they did. Now that quote..ROFLMAO..Its like were famous. I wonder if any other people snoop around here for info....ATS doesnt need a magazine. We need a cable news show !!!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
AboveTopSecret.com wasn't mentioned. If Jennings story was on the up and up (meaning he wasn't covering for being a lurker himself) his son just copied the text and sent him the post via e-mail.

Ahhh... that explains how I missed it. Heh, in a way, it makes the whole thing that much cooler. An under-the-table nod. Sweet. Of course, now I'm dying of curiosity as to which member is Peter Jenning's son, assuming he's even a member, and didn't just find it in a Google cache.

Originally posted by xenofab
I also saw him on ABC's Good Morning America Wednesday am. On that show he appeared quite nervous, like he was waiting for the interviewer to call him some sort of freak. He appeared much more relaxed on the Daily Show.

It may be due to Rather-Gate. Even though Peter Jennings is affiliated with ABC, and not CBS, the fact that CBS, who are notorious for refusing to admit when it was wrong in the past, silencing Dan Rather from here on out, usually means a media-wide shakedown is soon to come. Combine that with the fact that Jennings is about to report on a rather controversial subject, and I would expect that in his shoes, I'd be nervous too. You know he had to be up all night, triple-checking all his facts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join