It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

worlds greatest health threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
apparently the biggest health threat to humans is now birds... i never knew birds were even more dangerous then cows (mad cow)

anyways i dont think that its actually going to be that big of a health threat i think that something more like sars, but hasnt come yet (but will within the next 5-10 years) is going to be what will be the next big health threat (even though no ones even heard about sars in the last year or so)

but here is ze link
sympatico.msn.cbc.ca...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
This avian flu virus could potentially be a big threat to nations that can't afford to vaccinate. However, to nations like ours who can afford it I don't see this as being the "greatest" health risk.

The article said the virus cannot jump from person to person. But "if it mutated in a form that could spread between people" it would be a very deadly virus. I imagine it would be a bigger threat then...but it hasn't mutated that way. Besides doesn't most influenza viruses have the potential of mutating? So for them to call this the greatest health threat does that entail they believe it's going to mutate and we won't have vaccine for it?

[edit on 052828p://24u31 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The biggest threat to man, is man!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy
The biggest threat to man, is man!

thats the truth!

[edit on 24-2-2005 by trust_no_one]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
This avian flu virus could potentially be a big threat to nations that can't afford to vaccinate. However, to nations like ours who can afford it I don't see this as being the "greatest" health risk.

That assumes that a vaccine would be effective.
For one, any vaccine manufactures prior to a genetic mutation of the virus is plain guesswork. Due to that fact, scores would die before any potential effective vaccine could be produced (keep in mind, vaccine production, particularly of copious amounts, takes months).

A solution under consideration, however, is vaccination of one of the sources, namely ducks and chickens. Ducks, especially, as they can carry the virus without becoming ill. Manufacturing a vaccination for these fowl will be easier than manufacturing one for humans and guessing the mutations that may occur.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The greatest threat to us now is birds huh? I wonder if Alfred Hitchcock can hear this

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
That maybe be so!!!!!
Lets just suppose as a thoery that maybe this is a secret weapon launch at us by a Race of reptilian Aliens to destroy mankind.

1.Did not the birds evolve from Dinosaurs?
2.Were'nt these Dinosaurs ancient reptiles?
3.Didn't these acient reptiles once ruled the earth?

Well maybe they want to get back that which was once theirs, the earth!

Just a theory the bird plauge is bound to wipe us out or nearly to a point of near extinction!!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I know of many cures from many (said) terminal cases,when all repressed issues are dug out and dealt with, the cause is no longer, and healing is completed.
ALL...ALL....ALL....ALL conditions & disorders whether
> physical or emotional
> are the SAME.
> They are caused by "repressed" emotion (affect) that is
> causing emotional & physical
> tension within the body. It does not matter what doctors(?) call the
> condition. It does NOT matter
> what part of the body is effected, it does not matter what
> emotions become manifest;
> it does not matter what the symptoms might be. All conditions
> are buried in
> the subconscious/
> physical body .

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
So you don't consider a mutated form of the bird flu a major threat? I heard just recently on the national news otherwise. In fact I think they toned it down so the public wouldn't be too terrified. The news stated just imagine SARS on steriods.

There is at least one bird flu virus in humans in Asia they stated that has a 70 percent death rate. If just 25 percent of the US caught this flu bug, then over 50 million Americans would die (assuming a similiar fatality rate) from the flu assuming the population is around 300 million to start with. That would just be in the US.

Then the news show tried to reassure the public saying vaccines are being developed and we currently have over 2 million doses of a bird flu vaccine. This vaccine is probably in my opinion "a" bird flu vaccine, not the one that might mutate and cause all the misery. In case you have forgotten, flu vaccine manufacturers had months to prepare for this current flu season (in the US) and had I believe over 30 to 60 million doses available but that wasn't enough to stop a shortage panic of people trying to get a flu shot waiting for hours to try to get a restricted flu shot. There wasn't even a flu crisis going on. I'd say there is a reason to be concerned. Just because no one remembers disease causing the deaths of millions everywhere doesn't mean it can't happen again unfortunately.

top topics

join