It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia, UK accuse Russia of cyber attacks aimed at undermining Western democracies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

No, but you mentioned it to another poster, Paraphi.

Once again, as you seem to keep ignoring it, there is a mountain of evidence to support these accusations. What about the CCTV footage?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: villagesmithie
We are buying into the lies that divide us from our fellow countrymen and weaken our country.

I find the fact that we all are being divide from our fellow humans, just because they were born on a different location, with a different colour or chose a different religion/political position much worse, as that's how wars and genocide are created.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Here is an article from the BBC - more about Russian hacking:

Russia's GRU Hacked OPCW Watchdog

Why would Russia want to do this if they had nothing to do with the Novichok attempt on Skripal's life?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
You've never been to Russia, have you?

Nope. I avoid countries with poor human rights. Not that visiting Russia has anything to do with the OP. Have you ever been to Scotland?

On evidence. Where's the evidence that the Russian state are not conducting cyber crime? If your position is that without the evidence being presented to you personally, it cannot have happened, then your position will never change. However, the UK and others seem to be quite certain that state-run cyber criminality derives from Russia, and based on Russian behaviour I would put greater credence on that position than not.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Nope. I avoid countries with poor human rights. Not that visiting Russia has anything to do with the OP.

Yet you shoot your mouth off like some programmed sheep, and like your buddy, seem to confuse accusation with evidence, all the while ignorant to the mechanics of Western spin and skewed policy, it has everything to do with it

Have you ever been to Scotland?

I should hope so, I was born there, are you going to accuse Scotland of poor human rights now, or was that an attempt at being smart? Careful, if you pull away from the media machine, you may just end up thinking for yourself

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

No need to be so rude, get a grip.

Once again, because you continue to ignore it, there is tons of evidence pointing towards Russia in the Skripal case. What about the CCTV footage I asked you about?

On topic, do you have anything useful (or anything at all) to add about the article I linked to the Russian attempt to hack the OPCW?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The evidence has been proven, and is mounting that the GRU have been deliberately attempting to hack Porton Down, the OPCW and plenty of other sites around the world including places in America, and other countries, and thats without the evidence of agents who committed the poisoning in Salisbury. Yet a few here are blindly stating that this is all propaganda without a single piece of evidence or proof that Russia and Putins goverment are doing none of this, and except some unproven story from the Kremlin.
Just go to sites like bellingcat that has proof by the bucket load.

edit on 4-10-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Yet you shoot your mouth off like some programmed sheep,

You see, that's not very nice. In fact, I am quite open to all possibilities. Just not fixed on a worldview that assumes the autocratic Russia is perpetually innocent.

You need to keep to the facts lest people will assume your only means of debate is to troll.

Where's the evidence you were born in Scotland? Don't worry, I believe you. Lighten up and

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
If you're arguing that Russia is innocent, I assume you're either ignorant of reality or just arguing to be obstinate. All countries, with the means to do so, will do similar things. The question is, how do we, as a country, continue to do what is good for us and ignore outside influences that might distract us?

If you're arguing that everyone does it you're trying to deflect from the fact that we need to be aware of it.

Cyber warfare is real, it's in it's infancy, and we don't even know what it really is yet and where it's going to end up. The first thing we need to do is to recognize it and understand it. In that, Russia is winning the "cyber arms race". While we are pouring money into weapons and walls. Weapons and boarder security are important but we need to be sure we are secure in all areas.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

So if there is all this evidence I recall someone stating it is an act of war by Russia on another thread, so why don’t we go to war with them?

Let’s not forget they interfered in Syria and ruined the plans for a pipeline through there. They also support Iran who must be the biggest tyrant in the world. But worse yet they caused Trump to be be president and the Brexit vote to happen. Surely all this is reason enough to go to war?

If not war what other solutions do you propose? Because clearly all those sanctions aren’t working.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Yet you shoot your mouth off like some programmed sheep,

You see, that's not very nice. In fact, I am quite open to all possibilities. Just not fixed on a worldview that assumes the autocratic Russia is perpetually innocent.

You need to keep to the facts lest people will assume your only means of debate is to troll.

Where's the evidence you were born in Scotland? Don't worry, I believe you. Lighten up and

The beliefs of someone who can't differentiate between accusation and fact is of little consequence, made even more ludicrous when they say "keep to the facts"

originally posted by: oldcarpy

No need to be so rude, get a grip.

Once again, because you continue to ignore it, there is tons of evidence pointing towards Russia in the Skripal case. What about the CCTV footage I asked you about?

On topic, do you have anything useful (or anything at all) to add about the article I linked to the Russian attempt to hack the OPCW?

You're deflecting (again) and no, there isn't tons of evidence, CCTV footage that shows the alleged assassins walking down a street is not evidence. Additionally, with the article you posted, from the BBC no less, I'll give it some credit, which is rare for me and BBC articles, it uses the word "allegations"

edit on -180002018-10-04T11:56:59-05:000000005931201859102018Thu, 04 Oct 2018 11:56:59 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: purplemer
What hacking are you talking about.

The types of cyber crime the Russian state is up to is reported in the OP.

You are really worried some sock puppet accounts are going to undermine democracy. As I said i would be far more worried about who controls the google logarithms. Who is choosing to restrict the flow of information in the west. We are ushering in a digital dictorship and your worried about sock puppet accounts.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

I think you are underestimating what Russia is attempting. It's not just sock puppet accounts. There is more intention behind it then that.

There are many players, some working for financial ends, some for political. All have an effect on you and I. All are important to be aware of.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: villagesmithie

What do you propose we in the West do about it? All I see is finger pointing, what is the solution?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

My goal in this thread is to try to get people to step outside of their political rhetoric and accept that there may be a risk we all face.

Once we get to that point then we can discus it rationally, work to understand how much of a risk there is and from who. Russia presents a risk, lone hackers present a risk, our own government presents a risk, big business presents a risk and eventually AI will present a risk.

Individuals as always need to stand up for their rights.

We limit ourselves when we deny what is happening for politics.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: villagesmithie

That’s all good and well but I asked for solutions. Being aware isn’t one.

I don’t see anyone denying what is happening for politics, all I see are opposing views on what is happening. It’s a game of thrones and us plebs aren’t in it.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: steamiron
a reply to: pavil

Upside down thinking. So Russia must be innocent cos the UK is in bed with America's FISA program. Got it!

Every western nation says Russia is troll farming division which means they're doing the opposite! You are a genius sir.

Yeah, the Russian Troll Farms are SOOOO much more powerful than the MSM and their Trolls.

Personally I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about the Chinese and them inserting spying chips in the things they produce.

But I'm genius.

It's the only way the Democrats could have lost, right?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

That’s all good and well but I asked for solutions. Being aware isn’t one. I don’t see anyone denying what is happening for politics, all I see are opposing views on what is happening. It’s a game of thrones and us plebs aren’t in it.

I've seen plenty of denial. The out right denial is kind of fading away and being replaced with a denial of any importance of the issue.

We had some awesome guys in our past who were fool hardy enough to try to create a nation based on individual freedom instead of rule by the elite. Those who think they are the elite continually try to take back that power. If we want to maintain any kind of freedom we need to continually fight to keep it. This is just part of another round in the fight, and I don't have any sure fire solutions. But the first step is knowing what your fighting about.

Being aware is the first step to an kind of solution. The battle that is going on now, is a systematic destruction of trust in science, education, government, media, and each other. A population like that can be easily controlled and does not have the ability to even agree on a course of action to fight back.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

I think 9/11 was the Reichstag moment in western history, where fascist laws were enacted against the population for greater control, and used as the excuse to wage a war that without it would never have happened. The fly in the ointment is and always will be Russia. Who has stopped the destabilisation of Syria and probably an invasion of Iran. So now Russia has to go one way or another. But Russia has some pretty high tech weapons, and is allied with China. Who is now selling over a trillion dollars of American bonds back to them, which will destabilise the economy. The propaganda against Russia, is the usual prelude to hostilities, but it seems that its all a bit half hearted. With German factories happily producing inside of Russia, and a developing Petro Yuan making American foreign policy less relevant. I would expect something significant blamed on Russia very soon, or it will all fizzle out as western economies go into meltdown, and a realignment of geo political lines in the sand.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: villagesmithie
a reply to: Azureblue

But Russia is looking out for your best interest?!?

Good god! Government are out for their own self interest. Russia included.

What are you going to do for yourself and the people you care about?

Which master is controlling you!

Well; I reckon the NWO originates from the US and Europe and Not Russia that's for the sure. Similarly I think Russia is far more inclined to mind it own business whereas the US and its banker owners have pretty much come out into the open about wanting to control the whole world.

For example; Agenda 21 and Agenda 30 come out of the US not Russia thats for sure.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join