It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating accounts on websites - Use FB, Goog+ or individual email address - which is better?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I forget if there was an option to register on this site other than with Facebook or Google+ as if there had been I know I would have used it at that time but I think I was stuck using FB or Goog+. The convenience of using FB and Goog+ makes registration easier, but I have a feeling that there are a lot of hidden downsides to doing this like both of those companies knowing when you are on the site, and probably a lot more information that we aren't being told about. That is why I'm against using those services to log in.

I came across another site that had the same options plus something called "ID" (ID4ME - which I've never heard of) and I have the same skepticism with this site. But there is a field where you can enter an email address, which is great - but the problem is I use gmail for all my forums (that account is un-associated with any other "real" accounts).

does anyone know if FB or Goog+ tracks you more if you use their services to log into sites? This is something that should be made absolutely clear when using these to sign up.

This is just another example of the big tech companies invading privacy through an "ease of use" feature. We really need to make a list of things which need national attention, while this is a relatively small issue, when you add in 10-50 other issues with FB and Google, those little issues will start to show a clear picture of what is going on.

What do you people use to sign in and what do you think those companies do when you use their service to log in? I see it like cell phone traking off of cell towers, but FB and Goog does it with domain names.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

You're kind of screwed any which way. The best would be to use a throwaway email account.

I have the same name as a really famous person's daughter. She runs his charities, etc. Our email addresses are only different by a '.'. I recieve tons of her sensitive, private emails even though they're addressed to her email address.

I also constantly recieve emails for another person with the same name who has a used car dealership, these have peoples financial info, etc.

So how good are email addresses even?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I thought the option to register without a facebook or google account was removed? I had a coworker refuse to join over it.

In the security field, LOTS of people WILL NOT use those shared logons.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The era when you didn't have to join some snip site just to view it.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Why not? They're pretty safe, arguably more so than passwords. Access controls can be defined and enforced, and easily revoked at any time.

I doubt there are many vulnerabilities left in oauth, it's used almost everywhere and I'm sure there are plenty of people wanting and trying to break it onna daily basis.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
When I joined you didn't need one of the NSA logon IDs. You could create your own logon information. I am disappointed to read that it has changed.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
You know how deep the links keep building and going back to you, from you, and the info about you all the way???

Jeez! Home browser to Facebook, to Instagram, to Twitter to...to..to..and you agreed to let each one access you and yours!!!??

In the end? Fake-book has everything about you and family, friends and all the info....because when you joined Fake-book..they say we agree to allow them to share....

No f'in way thru anybody! Especially them. Use an email...even a new one for just new sites...or you'll be flooded with ads and spam and...worse...it's a TRICK.

edit on 3-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I doubt most ATS users have social media. It likely keeps many from signing up.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I certainly think that's true. I just addressed the question as it was posed here...* Thanks Metallicus!

*at least I hope they're smarter here..
edit on 3-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

join