It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After tsunami Mount Soputan erupts on the island of Sulawesi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
At this point there is no hard evidence of a connection between the two . So the question is are they related or is it coincidence ?

There were reports activity had stepped up at the volcano before the earthquake. That should be easily verified through seismic records .

Nazli Ismail, a geophysicist at University of Syiah Kuala, Banda Aceh on Sumatra island, urged caution and stressed there was no concrete evidence to show they are linked.

"People talk about the butterfly effect. The concept is that when a butterfly flaps its wings, it can cause a catastrophe," he said. "So it is possible for the earthquake to trigger the volcano eruption, but it's not conclusive."

Sorry Nazli i’m not buying it there is to much of a connection between a volcano on and a earthquake that both sit on the ring of fire within miles of each other .

I’m not a DOOM monger by any stretch. But I believe this one is worth looking at seriously. There’s an old saying “bad luck comes in threes”.

What’s next? A big earthquake, a bigger volcanic event or a big nothing burger ?

In any event we need to keep an eye on this.

Shake rattle and roll along with fire and brimstone.

edit on 3-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
i think this is a case of "which came first, the chicken or the egg". was the volcano possibly affected by the earthquake. or especially since as you mention there was increased activity noted before the earthquake, was the earthquake caused as a foreshock of the volcano's eruption?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

I agree that we need to know what came first so we can figure out if anything is coming next.

Soputan Is a Stratovolcanoe .

Two famous examples of stratovolcanoes are Krakatoa, best known for its catastrophic eruption in 1883 and Vesuvius, famous for its destruction of Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79 AD. Both eruptions claimed thousands of lives. In modern times, Mount Saint Helens and Mount Pinatubo have erupted catastrophically, with lesser losses of lives.

This link is from wiki but I’m inclined to believe it .

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
There was a second irruption in Indonesia minutes later .

A second eruption also took place with a separate volcano, named the Son of Krakatoa, erupting in Java and spewing lava into the air, just minutes after Mount Soputan started to erupt.

www.express.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join