It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Republicans need to move on from Kavanaugh

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

How will the dems in your scenario gain enough senate seats to impeach anyone? It appears to me to be a mathematical impossibility?

During the midterms yes, but I wouldn't expect the Democrats to have a shot at this impeachment until 2020 at the earliest.

Also, I am not saying they will have the numbers but they might, that is a risk and honestly one the Republicans don't have to take. They have the power to just replace Kavanaugh with another Judge with the same Judicial views and none of the baggage. So my question is why not? Why push through a damaged nominee when it could come back to bite you?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

There's the base. It's all about the base.

You are correct, it is all about the base. This is probably the only reason they haven't moved on. The base is fired up about Kavanaugh and the Republicans fear if they pick another candidate the base will think they are weak.

Sticky situation indeed.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

So the gop should find another nominee because in more than 2 years if the dems win they might impeach kavanaugh?
Really?
It appears to me your posts do not match your avatar.
False accusations are not damage to kavanaugh or the gop, but damage to the dnc and msm who pushed them forward.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

wasn't there a list of 15 judges - all qualified.

what makes kavanaugh so uniquely qualified that they're doubling down on him?

edit on 3-10-2018 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Getting 2/3 votes from the Senate to impeach Kavanaugh isn't going to happen.

A2D

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

What makes him unqualified to move on from him?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Serious question:

If you were innocent and this was done to you and you faced days of intense public pressure and scrutiny and had your name and reputation, and worse your family (including two small daughters) drug through the same, and you knew that what you had built for them was damaged likely beyond repair, destroyed forever ...

How would you be?

In all honesty, I don't believe I would be reasonable at all. If I was in Judge Kavanaugh's position I don't think I would do half as well as he did replying to some of those questions if they weren't true. I would be truly enraged and I doubt I would make much sense.

However, as unfair as it might be, he is a judge and is expected to live up to an ideal of judicial impartialness. It is probably unfair but it is the case nevertheless. Also, it doesn't matter if I think it's unfair or justified that he reacted the way that he did. For that matter, it doesn't matter if every Republican in the country feels it is justified. It only matters what the Democrats/Independents who will try to impeach him. That is why the Republicans need to pick another nominee.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackalThe base is fired up about Kavanaugh

The base is fired up over the Democrats unAmerican and unConstitutional behavior and concluding we are guilty until we can prove innocence.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
However, as unfair as it might be, he is a judge and is expected to live up to an ideal of judicial impartialness

When he is acting as a Judge he does. When he is facing false allegations designed to destroy him and his family for political gain of his enemies he does not.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

So the gop should find another nominee because in more than 2 years if the dems win they might impeach kavanaugh?
Really?
It appears to me your posts do not match your avatar.
False accusations are not damage to kavanaugh or the gop, but damage to the dnc and msm who pushed them forward.

Yes, that's what they should do. They won't, but they should.

A Supreme Court seat is very valuable to a party. The person you pick will be there for life ruling on laws according to your parties political doctrine. Therefore, why under any circumstance put a Judge on the court that has any chance of being impeached in the future, if not in 2020, then maybe 2024 or 2028? Because if he is ever impeached his seat will then no longer be a conservative seat but rather a liberal seat. If that happens then all of the struggles to get him onto the bench in the first place will be for nothing.

It is an unnecessary risk. The Republicans have control of the presidency for two and a half more years why not put another nominee up? A nominee that will not have any possibility of being impeached.

As I have said previously, it doesn't matter what you, I or anyone else here thinks about Kavanaugh, only the Senators at the time of his impeachment hearings matter. You may believe these are false allegations. I may believe these are false allegations. Everyone here may believe they are false allegations but over half the country doesn't believe that. Do you honestly believe that the Democrats will not retaliate the first chance they get?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackalThe person you pick will be there for life ruling on laws according to your parties political doctrine.

That's not actually true.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Hmm...
So why haven't the gop senators impeached RBG?
Or for that matter John Roberts when he decided a penalty is a tax?
Impeachment is a political event and the sitting justices have that over their heads at this very moment, do they not?
Not voting to confirm a nominee because of the threat of what future congresses will do is simply ridiculous.
I have no doubt the dnc will attempt to retaliate, I also have no doubt the voting public will not give them the power to do so.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Let me break this down.

Because Kavanaugh was accused and responded the way he did, regardless of guilt or innocence, he is now "unfit" for the SCOTUS.

Next candidate, whoever it is, takes the nomination instead of Kavanaugh. Allegations inevitably arise. That nominee is then "unfit" for the SCOTUS as well.

You see, there is NOBODY that can withstand a made up allegation that instantly tarnishes ones reputation. That's why evidence is important...to clear ones name and reputation...

A2D
edit on 3-10-2018 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Agreed. Kavanaugh has proven without question he is unfit for the Supreme Court, regardless of allegations of sexual misconduct. Republicans should cut bait and move on. There are plenty of right-leaning judges they can find to nominate that will vote the way they want, and will not carry the baggage that will taint the Republican Party and SCOTUS for years to come.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tabularosa

Yawn. Sorry, Democrats aren't going to create problems and then get their way. Every American should be demanding a Kavanaugh yes vote to counter this unAmerican and unConstitutional tactic.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

But Clinton was for potus? Booker is fit for the Senate? Tony Cardenas is fit for the house? Ellison? Should I continue?

The double standards are disgusting.

The fact of the matter is that Kavanaughs record AS A JUDGE is impeccable. I dont care if you dont like him as a man, that's fine...but he's a damn good judge and will be a fine supreme court justice.

A2D
edit on 3-10-2018 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal

How will the dems in your scenario gain enough senate seats to impeach anyone? It appears to me to be a mathematical impossibility?

During the midterms yes, but I wouldn't expect the Democrats to have a shot at this impeachment until 2020 at the earliest.

Also, I am not saying they will have the numbers but they might, that is a risk and honestly one the Republicans don't have to take. They have the power to just replace Kavanaugh with another Judge with the same Judicial views and none of the baggage. So my question is why not? Why push through a damaged nominee when it could come back to bite you?

Because “owning the libs” takes precedence over everything else. Over country, over law, over everything.

Just look at the responses in this thread. The hate is oozing out of people. This is the modern Republican Party.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

The fact of the matter is that Kavanaughs record AS A JUDGE is impeccable. I dont care if you dont like him as a man, that's fine...but he's a damn good judge and will be a fine supreme court justice.

A2D

And the best part for Republicans, is that Kavanaugh will delivery the pinnacle of rage and retribution upon the Democrats and the Democratic party (as he expressly intimated in his hearing), along with its supporters and any prerogatives they may have as a matter of principle for treatment in kind. Just the kind of man we need on the court. Remember, SC is not about analyzing/understanding the law, its about sticking it to the libs!

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Yes, we hate people subverting American values and the checks and balances the FF created.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Where did he say once confirmed he will enact retribution?

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join