It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Republicans need to move on from Kavanaugh

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I prefer you in science forums sir, where your input is agreeable and your wit is without such a sting.

Still, two more years and you'll be voting Trump in 2020. I'm sure of it.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Your preferences don't carry no truck. Here 'bouts.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

first off, Chase had made rulings that were perceived as partisan, and the Senate did not impeach him, so he remained on the bench.

Second, the PARTY or Supreme Party will go after him because they go after everyone that is not good for the Supreme Party. This is not going away anytime soon unless people begin to act. Remember also this strong partisan divide that existed during the time of Chase leads up to the Civil War as the Southern States begin to be ruled by an elite political class that acted in the the interest of there party at the expense of the Souths population.

So to cave in this early to the Supreme Party would only increase the rate at which the Supreme Party is able to solidify their power and begin to remove other opponents.

To say a judge cannot have emotion is odd, since they are human. I would say though that any lower court judges that are overturned more than 10% of the time on their rulings should be reviewed, because if you keep getting judgments wrong you are not providing justice at a level expected of American citizens.

Finally the entire debacle, not just the Kavanaugh emotional response was necessary because the Supreme Party put their agenda ahead of Americas agenda. What was good for the country was to resolve this issue when it came in, without exposing either the charges or the accuser without vetting, instead since a giant #it show benefited the Supreme Party, we got the absolutely biggest waste of taxpayer time and money in recent history.

Personally I was extremely disappointed more of the esteemed so called professional Senators did not get more angry at what the US senate has become during that train wreck called a hearing. Of 100 people sitting there, only one person got up and said this is not right, that is the saddest part of this whole thing.

Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak

I prefer you in science forums sir, where your input is agreeable and your wit is without such a sting.

I used to think that. But even in the UFO forum he’s just trolling. He squanders his brilliance by derailing an otherwise insightful conversation that has potential to go somewhere by posting an aloof one sentence reply that will kill an entire thread.

True story.

edit on 10/3/2018 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Sorry, no he doesn't. He needs to be confirmed to show these tactics don't work.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Serious question:

If you were innocent and this was done to you and you faced days of intense public pressure and scrutiny and had your name and reputation, and worse your family (including two small daughters) drug through the same, and you knew that what you had built for them was damaged likely beyond repair, destroyed forever ...

How would you be?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It is not illegal or immoral to get mad. It is what you do when you are mad that is the issue. I saw the Judge get mad during the interview but also have seen Judges publicly mad in the courts. In my opinion he did not cross the line.

Now the episodes of crying, that is more of a concern to me than the little outbreaks of anger. His life has been ruined by these allegations lately, most of which are false or immaterial to his life now. Things that happened thirty five years ago when a person was a teenager should not be haunting the people unless they were charged and proven guilty long before. No word for thirty five years, that is past all statutes of limitation except murder or terrorism. Guilty until proven innocent is now going to run our countries societies.

Teenagers do dumb things, our legal system recognizes this and tries to give them a break. They plea bargain things down so the kids future is not ruined and their juvenile record is not used when they become an adult unless a major crime is involved, then it can only be used as reference. Now by the public slamming this judge, I see that everyone's kids are in jeopardy of getting their lives ruined because of being a stupid teenager driven by hormones. I see every kid charged and everyone not being allowed to take any plea bargains in the future that reduce their sentence. We are creating a very bad precedence there with allowing this, it will escalate into much stricter sentencing of our youth, making them criminals when they are just young and dumb hormone driven kids. Our legal system knows that most of the kids turn out to be outstanding citizens later on, now this will lead to no way to redeem yourself, no forgiveness of a learning mistake.

I see this coming in the future, I see kids being accused of statuatory rape at seventeen for just going out with their fifteen or sixteen year old girlfriend. What the hell is our society creating these days, a country where everyone has to fear anything they ever did coming back to haunt them?

The young make mistakes, If the mistake is reaccurent, then I can see throwing the book at them. But not after thirty five years when memories of incidents are not there and no charges were initially filed. No more breaks for breaking the laws anymore, the liberals will suffer the most, every protest around here contained slander and lies, every one of them broke one law or another. Right to protest does not give a person the right to break other laws. We need to tighten our observance of the laws and charge everyone with a crime even if it happened years ago. Everyone has skeletons in their closet. I do not know one person who has not broken one law or another. Evidently we have to alter the law to state that if you do not know your breaking the law or if the perception of the law changes in the future, you are still guilty, that is what the Democrats want.

I can see a lot more people getting their lives ruined in the future, but evidently that is what society wants here in America, if that kid of yours steals a candy bar, that can come back and haunt him/her if they run for any public office.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
"there will be lingering anger from the Democrats."

Period. Any topic, any time it is spoken or introduced by a Republican, the democrats will fight it tooth and nail. They needn't have any logic or truth behind them, it is total division, and nothing less will do.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

I hear political trolling is becoming a legit career option due to exponential rise of punditry vs. journalism.

Have you thought about applying for a position at CNN? If not, you could always write for Bill Mahr on HBO.

Whatever you do, though, just don’t reply to this post with a pseudo intellectual and completely irrelevant remark that only serves to evade my question. The employers in the trolling industry look for that kind of weakness.

You and all the unthinking, partisan individuals that starred your post should check out one's credentials bfore calling "troll". BJ has added more to ATS than just about anyone else here.

ETA: Happy belated ATS birthday BJ. 15 years on ATS last week.

edit on 3-10-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Republicans should have completely ignored the accusers and voted the judge in anyway.

Totally disgusted with Republican leadership for caving to BS demands and nonsense.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackalHowever, during his questioning at the hands of the Democratic Senators, he lost his cool on multiple occasions.

And the one time I think he did come close to or maybe even crossed the line a little, he came back after the break and apologized.

As for his demeanor in general, I think it was perfectly understandable, Judge or not, considering how he and his family had been treated.

In so doing, he has opened up the door for his demeanor to be called into question.

Disagree, see above.

If Kavanaugh is confirmed, I believe everyone will agree there will be lingering anger from the Democrats. So, let's move forward in time to 2020 and let's make the assumption that the Democrats win the White House. Also, let us assume the Democrats have control of the Senate at that point in time.

Big assumptions... personally, I think a big surprise is coming this mid-term, and the Dems will actually lose seats in both the House and Senate.

If that is indeed the case, I am willing to bet the house that they will begin impeachment proceedings against Kavanaugh based on his demeanor and his lack of impartiality. Then let us assume if they succeed in this impeachment. They will then be able to replace Kavanaugh with a liberal judge.

You do not understand how impeachment works.

If, IF the democrats take the House, then yes, they could possibly (although I think it is very unlikely) impeach him.

But, impeachment is only the first step. To be removed, it takes a 2/3 supermajority in the Senate.

Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

So, do I get a prize for demolishing your entire argument?
edit on 3-10-2018 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Yeah, just move on. Forget about it. Doesn't matter if he's innocent, he's damaged goods now.

Yep, that could work!

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Its more important now than ever that we confirm this judge tomorrow. ANY nominee will be attacked and harassed by the members of the DNC both at work and inciting riots while they go out in their personal lives. The sooner we get our judicial branch in order, the sooner we can begin the process of having US Marshall's arresting the agitators who have turned this country into a circus.

America hating traitors will soon be held to account.

To begin with, I apologize for just now replying to these messages. I fell asleep pretty quickly after making this topic last night.

A couple of things, I can infer from your post that you are disgusted with the current political environment that we find ourselves in. I am too. It also appears that you believe that the DNC will work to obstruct any nominee that comes along. I also agree.

However, I don't believe I agree to the same extent as you. It is obvious that the DNC was working to obstruct the nomination of Judge Kavanaugh from the beginning, they said as much. But, why are they obstructing the nomination process? Is it for no reason at all or is there an underlying reason? I believe the reason can be traced back to the blocking of Merrick Garland. The Republicans did this in hopes they would win the White House so that they could pick the justice but their public reason was that elections matter and that since this nomination was close to an election the people should get to speak. The Supreme Court operated with only 8 justices for 10 months.

So now, when this nomination comes along the Republicans want to force the nomination through as quickly as possible so that it is done before the election, contradicting their previous position. So, it is pretty obvious the DNC would attempt to obstruct and honestly it is for as good a reason as anything ever happens in Washington.

Then at the 11th hour Senator Feinstein releases a letter that she did not have permission to release. She did this in obvious hope of delaying or derailing this nomination. I for one find her actions to be disgusting. Her actions have pulled Mrs. Ford and her family into a political and media frenzy that she explicitly stated she never wanted. While I doubt it will happen I think an FBI investigation needs to be conducted to determine who released the letter from Feinstein's office.

Anyways, I say all this to point out that just because the DNC is obstructing the nomination process it does not preclude the possibility that Mrs. Ford is telling the truth, or believes she is telling the truth. I find the two situations to be separate entities and not one overriding conspiracy. The simple fact that Mrs. Ford is on record multiple times saying she was not comfortable going public and didn't do so until someone in the DNC leaked her letter tells me that she is not part of any conspiracy with the DNC.

However, it is important that we as Americans don't lose sight of what it means to be an American. I know the political environment today is incredibly frustrating but, we all should work hard to pull together and not apart. Just because people protest against something I believe in deeply is not a reason to have the US Marshalls round them up. Actually, since I am an American while I don't support what they are protesting against, I damn well support their right to protest.
edit on 3-10-2018 by BlackJackal because: added who I am replying to.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

In so doing, he has opened up the door for his demeanor to be called into question.

He has a fairly long judicial career. Has he had other times when his demeanor was called into question or are you judging him based on him being smeared as a sexual predator and the democratic senators dissecting his high school year book?
I would submit those circumstances in no way compare, and to do such is just disingenuous.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

So, do I get a prize for demolishing your entire argument?

Ha! No prize but it's the best I can do!

You may be absolutely correct, he may be confirmed and not be impeached. However, it is a risk. That is the point I am trying to make. By pushing forward with Judge Kavanaugh, especially how they originally wanted to do it without an investigation at all would expose this particular Supreme Court seat to risk.

As for his demeanor in general, I think it was perfectly understandable, Judge or not, considering how he and his family had been treated.

Again, it doesn't matter what you or I or anyone on this board think about his demeanor that matters. The only opinions that matter are the opinions of Democratic Senators. Those are the people who will bring about impeachment charges.

You do not understand how impeachment works.

I think you may have skipped a line in my original post. As part of my hypothetical for 2020 I said:

Also, let us assume the Democrats have control of the Senate at that point in time.

*****END OF MY QUOTE*************

Big assumptions... personally, I think a big surprise is coming this mid-term, and the Dems will actually lose seats in both the House and Senate.

I admit freely I have no clue what will happen in 2020 or the midterms for that matter. No one truly does. It is that uncertainty that should scare Republicans from confirming Judge Kavanaugh. Why put a Judge on the Supreme Court who could possibly be removed by a future Democratic Controlled Senate? It just doesn't make sense.

edit on 3-10-2018 by BlackJackal because: stuff

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I admit freely I have no clue what will happen in 2020 or the midterms for that matter. No one truly does. It is that uncertainty that should scare Republicans from confirming Judge Kavanaugh. Why put a Judge on the Supreme Court who could possibly be removed by a future Democratic Controlled Senate? It just doesn't make sense.

I would submit the "uncertainty" you post of is part of what got trump elected as the issue of SCOTUS nominees were a part of said election.
That same "uncertainty" will assist the gop at the polls next month as the dems really botched the kavanaugh nomination.

How will the dems in your scenario gain enough senate seats to impeach anyone? It appears to me to be a mathematical impossibility?

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
The Republicans need to move on from Kavanaugh

They will as soon as he's confirmed and sworn in.

😃

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Thanks intrepid! Man, it has been a long time.... I'm getting old ha!

It's really good to see you are still around.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So now it's, "There's no possible way he can remain unbiased after all the slanderous and unfounded crap we put him through!"
Liberals are funny.
edit on 10 3 2018 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join