It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A colossal elevator to space could be going up sooner than you ever imagined

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: JimNasium

I guess you stay of of roller coasters then

I don't even go near the park...

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
why is it going to take so long?

A space elevator built from a cable needs to have the tensile strength to support 300 miles of cable hanging from something floating at geostationary orbit. It also has to handle the voltage gradients between the ground and the edge of the atmosphere. The only known element strong enough to handle these demands are carbon nanotubes.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

A space elevator built from a cable needs to have the tensile strength to support 300 miles of cable hanging from something floating at geostationary orbit. It also has to handle the voltage gradients between the ground and the edge of the atmosphere. The only known element strong enough to handle these demands are carbon nanotubes.

Um...aren't carbon nanotubes electrical conductors? If ANYTHING will wreck a space elevator, it will be those massive voltage gradients, along with the sheer amperage involved.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Arthur C. Clarke FTW

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This is pretty dumb. Thing will snap in half and then what.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
So 22,000 miles of cable! Crazy on the logistics! Some company will get a sweet contract no doubt. I can't understand if it(cable) will stay straight or be curved as the earth spins at 1000 mph, dragging it and whatever is at the end of it through space like a tether ball. So how long have they estimated optimum travel time for each payload to reach 22,000 miles? What are the speeds they are hoping for? At 100 mph that is around 10 days...not too bad I guess, if the trip comes with a meal or 10 and some reading material

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
They were talking about this in the 70s along with flying cars etc etc - still waiting

I found my own way to get higher than a kite

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

your pictures show them designing it over water, im guessing in the oceans. i would think the first storm or rogue giant wave would take it out at the base.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short

originally posted by: stormcell

Um...aren't carbon nanotubes electrical conductors? If ANYTHING will wreck a space elevator, it will be those massive voltage gradients, along with the sheer amperage involved.

Every circuit needs a load or it will burn up. Must be some way to use that energy or at least disperse it.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciferslight
This is pretty dumb. Thing will snap in half and then what.

You pop out the wings, pull the chute or fire up the thruster.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420

your pictures show them designing it over water, im guessing in the oceans. i would think the first storm or rogue giant wave would take it out at the base.

Oil rigs are built pretty solid, never heard of a "rogue giant wave" taking one out.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: waftist
So 22,000 miles of cable! Crazy on the logistics! Some company will get a sweet contract no doubt. I can't understand if it(cable) will stay straight or be curved as the earth spins at 1000 mph, dragging it and whatever is at the end of it through space like a tether ball. So how long have they estimated optimum travel time for each payload to reach 22,000 miles? What are the speeds they are hoping for? At 100 mph that is around 10 days...not too bad I guess, if the trip comes with a meal or 10 and some reading material

Well you would do some building in Earth orbit. Then fly on over to the moon to colonize and industrialize. But a cable to the moon would really be cool.

There is a graphic in the OP that shows the "bend" in the cable. It even says the Earth would speed up (very slightly) as you raise the elevator and slow down when you lower it. Like a ballerina doing a spin I guess.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
They were talking about this in the 70s along with flying cars etc etc - still waiting

Rocker Billy- If Nikola Tesla had been just a tad more, I don't know forceful??? We'd be flying about in space cars now. But lets get Tommy Edi$on in there and make some dough!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Here, save the $3 Trillion.. This is My gift to Humanity.. Now put that $$$ spent on some, come on, weird snip, and buy Your neighbor lunch..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Meh, should just go straight to a transporter.

Beam me up asshole. lol.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Rocker Billy- If Nikola Tesla had been just a tad more, I don't know forceful??? We'd be flying about in space cars now. But lets get Tommy Edi$on in there and make some dough!!!!

Thee cigar shaped craft make me wonder if they are already

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

NASA says the basic concept of a space elevator is sound, and researchers around the world are optimistic that one can be built. The Obayashi Corp., a global construction firm based in Tokyo, has said it will build one by 2050, and China wants to build one as soon as 2045. Now an experiment to be conducted soon aboard the International Space Station will help determine the real-world feasibility of a space elevator. “The space elevator is the Holy Grail of space exploration,” says Michio Kaku, a professor of physics at City College of New York and a noted futurist. “Imagine pushing the ‘up’ button of an elevator and taking a ride into the heavens. It could open up space to the average person.”

Well 2045 -2050 is not sooner than I imagined. The story by NBC linked above does not really give us much news at all about what is being done to get one built. A space elevator would open up the solar system to human exploration. I feel this is where NASA and private industry should be focused. If man really wants to mine outer space this is what is needed.

To build ships in space, a space elevator seems to be a requirement. I see it as the only real way to get the materials and fuel needed into space to build a large interplanetary space ship with artificial gravity and all the works. Many large nuclear powered space elevators are what is needed if man is to ever set foot on the moons of the gas giants.

I admit I don't know much about the math and science required to build one, but many bright minds think it is the way to go. Is a space elevator really possible or is it all hype?

Below are some links and a video if you don't know much about the idea of a space elevator.

Some info here - wikipedia.org

Some stories here - spaceref.com

As an elevator guy for the last 31 years, I say good luck !

If we can't get them working right here on the ground, what makes you think they can get one working from here to space ?

LOL !

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

NASA says the basic concept of a space elevator is sound, and researchers around the world are optimistic that one can be built. The Obayashi Corp., a global construction firm based in Tokyo, has said it will build one by 2050, and China wants to build one as soon as 2045. Now an experiment to be conducted soon aboard the International Space Station will help determine the real-world feasibility of a space elevator. “The space elevator is the Holy Grail of space exploration,” says Michio Kaku, a professor of physics at City College of New York and a noted futurist. “Imagine pushing the ‘up’ button of an elevator and taking a ride into the heavens. It could open up space to the average person.”

Well 2045 -2050 is not sooner than I imagined. The story by NBC linked above does not really give us much news at all about what is being done to get one built. A space elevator would open up the solar system to human exploration. I feel this is where NASA and private industry should be focused. If man really wants to mine outer space this is what is needed.

To build ships in space, a space elevator seems to be a requirement. I see it as the only real way to get the materials and fuel needed into space to build a large interplanetary space ship with artificial gravity and all the works. Many large nuclear powered space elevators are what is needed if man is to ever set foot on the moons of the gas giants.

I admit I don't know much about the math and science required to build one, but many bright minds think it is the way to go. Is a space elevator really possible or is it all hype?

Below are some links and a video if you don't know much about the idea of a space elevator.

Some info here - wikipedia.org

Some stories here - spaceref.com

As an elevator guy for the last 31 years, I say good luck !

If we can't get them working right here on the ground, what makes you think they can get one working from here to space ?

LOL !

There would only be 2 buttons.

Space and Ground.

Simple..

lol.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Carbon nanotubes are strong enough to facilitate the forces that would be exerted on the tether cable.

The problem is in mass production of the stuff in the quantity required then getting it up there cost-effectively.

But the material science to do so is pretty much there, all that's required is the will and monies now.

Taken to its logical conclusion through a space elevator will allow us to colonize and industrialize our own inner star system and beyond.
edit on 2-10-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

LOL, it's a little more complicated than that.

Think of the mechanics, the operational electronics , the redundancy of safety circuits and devices.

I could go on and on, but to a simple layman, it's just a push of a button.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join