It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got spoofed today.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well, got spoofed today, twice from the same local landline number....my own phone number. The first time it was just blank, but the second time microsoft support was going to be cancel my windows unless I talked to a representative. So I pressed one and a woman with what appeared to be an India accent came on and I told her that next time they spoof me not to spoof me using my own number.

So how is this done anyway? How are they allowed to send someone's number and name? At least my caller ID pronounces my name right anyway I suppose.

Also I have been getting some calls with a state name calling, someone called from our local library landline phone and it came up Michigan call. We have also gotten other calls which came up as calls that were state named. My daughter does use a google service sometimes, but that is not the issue, that will come up as a state name when she calls using that, I think it is Missouri or something. We have to answer these calls to make sure it is not someone we know. Somehow some kind of hacking is going on that gives the wrong ID at AT&T I think. That is the only way I believe it can happen but if any of you know how this could possibly happen different than my idea, please inform me. I am curious about the Michigan call popping up on the caller ID, could our caller ID be jeopardized somehow?
edit on 2-10-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I had it happen the other day and looked it up

Scam artists now use technology to make a person's caller ID show their own name and phone number-making it appear as though a person is calling him or herself. These scam artists are falsifying-or "spoofing"-caller ID information.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I got that Microsoft one recently also. I am not calling myself (matching name and number). I tried to talk the woman on the line but so must not have liked the strange answers I gave her. She hung up.
edit on 10/2/2018 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

I had it happen the other day and looked it up

Scam artists now use technology to make a person's caller ID show their own name and phone number-making it appear as though a person is calling him or herself. These scam artists are falsifying-or "spoofing"-caller ID information.

I wonder if anyone would believe these people if the caller ID showed their own number? I suppose some would. Some old people might actually believe them, after all they are on meds that block acetylcholine most times which means they are more apt to believe someone who sounds professional.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This happened to me several times about a year ago.

I, of course, thought there was a ghost in the house.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Only crazy people talk to themselves, so the easiest solution here is to remain sane and don't answer when your own name and number pop up on your phone.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This is typical. We get these on a daily basis. If you have not, consider yourself lucky. It's not that they are "allowed," it's part of the hack.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I had that happen to me. Some guy from the Philippines I suspect, telling me I had a virus and to follow his instruction and type this into my computer code so they, Microsoft, could remove the virus. So, I pretended I was following his instruction and typing in the code he was giving me, when I wasn't, and it was driving the guy crazy!

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

good one.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

LOL I kept telling him "I don't like your attitude young man!"

edit on 2-10-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
A while back I called Windstream to cancel my landline and asked the rep. about this and robocalling if there was nothing they could do about it. The answer was,,,,,, nothing can be done.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Never had my own number show up, but I get random numbers listed as coming from one state or another in the US. Since I live in Canada, there is no reason for anyone from those areas to be calling me. I have no family there and know noone from those areas.

What's annoying is that I once had someone from in-town here call my number and demand to know why we just called them. She's demanding my name and the names of everyone in the house "because someone from that number just called and they want to know who it was and why." I'm trying to explain to this crazy person that no one from there called her. It was just myself and my two daughters home. We're all in the same room and no one has even so much as touched the phone all day.

Thankfully, we got rid of the landline because it had reached a point where the phone was ringing nonstop all day with telemarking and survey calls and unwanted polititions asking for votes. No more spoofed calls and sales garbage. Blissful quiet.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

This happened to me not long ago...or so I thought. Later I checked and it was my number, except with one digit changed. I didn't answer. I pulled my battery out just in case and cold-rebooted the phone.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

Thankfully, we got rid of the landline because it had reached a point where the phone was ringing nonstop all day with telemarking and survey calls and unwanted polititions asking for votes. No more spoofed calls and sales garbage. Blissful quiet.

I felt the same way after getting rid of my landline several years ago. Peaceful bliss !

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I expect to start getting political calls at any time because of the up coming election.

I now answer my phone with "this is the federal trade commission Telemarketer trap line we got you".

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Answer the phone and say can you hold the line please then put it down and go make a cup of coffee and leave the line open or do what i told my mother to do as she has had these calls DENY owning a computer , that drives them nuts

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I had the “irs” call me. The caller had a thick accent. They informed me I owed several hundred dollars to the irs. I told them I knew it was a scam and to stop calling. They responded with “ your mother sucks big c***”

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, got spoofed today, twice from the same local landline number....my own phone number. The first time it was just blank, but the second time microsoft support was going to be cancel my windows unless I talked to a representative. So I pressed one and a woman with what appeared to be an India accent came on and I told her that next time they spoof me not to spoof me using my own number.

So how is this done anyway? How are they allowed to send someone's number and name? At least my caller ID pronounces my name right anyway I suppose.

Also I have been getting some calls with a state name calling, someone called from our local library landline phone and it came up Michigan call. We have also gotten other calls which came up as calls that were state named. My daughter does use a google service sometimes, but that is not the issue, that will come up as a state name when she calls using that, I think it is Missouri or something. We have to answer these calls to make sure it is not someone we know. Somehow some kind of hacking is going on that gives the wrong ID at AT&T I think. That is the only way I believe it can happen but if any of you know how this could possibly happen different than my idea, please inform me. I am curious about the Michigan call popping up on the caller ID, could our caller ID be jeopardized somehow?

There are apps that show any #, from anywhere in the world...and could really be coming from your own kids even downstairs.

Go to Google Play store and ck them out. They are free...but ought to be outlawed.

We get calls from ourselves all the time...

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

There are apps that show any #, from anywhere in the world...and could really be coming from your own kids even downstairs.

Go to Google Play store and ck them out. They are free...but ought to be outlawed.

No kids in the house and I called my two daughters and my granddaughter and they were surprised and laughed about the stupidity of these people. So, it wasn't them. My youngest daughter could pull this off, she works with computers all day long and has taken classes on computer security and knows hackers. The person had a strong accent, probably from a different country. We get lots of calls like that but never any that show up our own number and name. I have gotten calls a couple of times from people who asked if we had called, our number was on their caller ID. One woman asked me why we were trying to sell her a vacation. That was a while back, everyone is now aware of these things around here and many people have given up their landline because of the calls and gone strictly cell phone.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

No kids in the house and I called my two daughters and my granddaughter and they were surprised and laughed about the stupidity of these people. So, it wasn't them. My youngest daughter could pull this off, she works with computers all day long and has taken classes on computer security and knows hackers. The person had a strong accent, probably from a different country. We get lots of calls like that but never any that show up our own number and name. I have gotten calls a couple of times from people who asked if we had called, our number was on their caller ID. One woman asked me why we were trying to sell her a vacation. That was a while back, everyone is now aware of these things around here and many people have given up their landline because of the calls and gone strictly cell phone.

I didn't mean it WAS your family..that wasn't he point...but a neighbor, friend, marketer, phisher, scammer, disguised voice, friend, associate...someone from your past....with these phone changing apps...could be from anywhere...and the # can get from across the world, street...even from kids and their friends. Anywhere....

The apps are dial thrus with a numbers showing a different one....keeps the callers unknown. Then they can use it, fool you from anywhere with all kinds fake calls and names, recordings.

And landlines aren't different from cells....both an answering machine on a landline...or your cell voicemail. Just block when you can....or delete entry from landline ans. machine.

PS no guarantees, but could...and would call you back, back with # after diff. # and place. Nifty, huh?

edit on 4-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: Oops

new topics

top topics

join