It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicked safety issue and evolution of a few of my cars.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
A while ago I had a Jeep Liberty and I absolutely loved it! The thing was a monster. Unfortunately, my husband took it to work during a snow storm and some woman slid through an intersection and crashed into him. He was okay but my transmission was toast.

Rather than put almost 4K into a rebuilt tranny on a vehicle with over 100,00k, I put the money down on a new car. It was a Scion XD.... fast and cute little bugger but a transition car. Real good on gas, fun to shift through the gears, real small, sucked in bad weather.

When Jeep came out with the Renegade I was super excited! In my mind, it replaced the Liberty and I was dying to have my beloved Liberty back again. So you guessed it... I went out and financed the brand new top of the line Renegade with all the bells and whistles. It was nice for a few weeks but I soon realized that I got ripped off! It wasn't the Liberty replacement vehicle. In fact, it wasn't like a Jeep at all. The motor was way too small to handle the size and as a result it had NO power. Despite it being 4-Wheel drive, it sucked in the bad weather! I swear I was the only person in a Jeep that couldn't get through deep snow! How lame! There were a number of other things wrong with it as well and surprise, surprise, right when the warranty ran out it began to have all kinds of mechanical issues. You know the ones where you take it to the shop but they can't seem to "replicate the problem". So they do a computer update and a few other things and charge you a few hundred. Finally when I was having major electrical problems that weren't covered and I was looking at a thousand dollar repair, I gave it up!

So that gets me to the "wicked safety issue" part.

I decided F this, no more brand new cars, no more overblown car payments, insurance, excise, repairs! A car is NOT an investment! So I went out and found myself a 2011 Kia Forte sport hatch-back. Cutest car ever and boy was it FAST! It was all white and girly, had a power moon roof and the best part it only had 60K miles and I bought it for $7,000! Since my trade was newer I didn't have to pay sales tax either! I was psyched!

Until one day I was driving down the road and the car turned off on me. I mean... completely turned off, like as if I turned the key. No power steering or brakes, nothing. Dead stick flying down the road. SCARY! I was surprised to find out this was a known safety issue but there were no recalls and most people going to the shop were looking at an entire engine replacement! Also, some warning lights came on and there was about a Q-Tips worth of oil in the motor when I checked. I guess it mysteriously vanished!

So much for my downsizing!

So last week I spent some time detailing the F out of my poor little Forte. I got it jump started and drove it to a Chevy dealership, praying the whole way that it wouldn't shut off, or die, or explode! I got it there and promptly traded it in for a 2018 Chevy Trax. I worked with a good guy and got the deal I needed. Very easy process. But I'm the type that does my homework and I go in there with exactly what I want, I don't negotiate... I walk.

Anyway... guess what.... This Chevy Trax is EXACTLY like my Jeep Liberty! It's even the same color!!! I am super happy and soooo in love with my new car.

The end.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

Why didn’t you just get the Liberty again in the first place? That would’ve saved you all the headache. Kinda reminds me of my 84 Silverado that would power through anything. Been looking for that same model since but I want under 100k miles.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Wow- you've got a lot of cash to throw around!

Most I've ever spent on a vehicle was 8200 cash (I don't finance vehicles) and that's because it's a one ton dump truck.
My DD is a 99 tacoma I got for 4500 some years ago, running great with over 200k on the clock.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Haha! I know right?

Well I had to trade up to something newer because I was under water on my loan. Yup... despite the Jeep being older with a lot of miles. You know how it goes... underwater, trade in and roll the balance in, etc. So by the time I was doing that they had stopped making the Liberty. I don't want to buy a car that's no longer produced.

I don't have cash to throw around, I finance.

So this one is a lease. 3-years, keep it pristine and I can finance the residual or re-lease.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Most I've ever spent on a vehicle was 8200 cash (I don't finance vehicles) and that's because it's a one ton dump truck.
My DD is a 99 tacoma I got for 4500 some years ago, running great with over 200k on the clock.

Dude I am very jealous of the truck!!!

You barely got it broken in man.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Most I've ever spent on a vehicle was 8200 cash (I don't finance vehicles) and that's because it's a one ton dump truck. My DD is a 99 tacoma I got for 4500 some years ago, running great with over 200k on the clock.

Never bought a brand new vehicle either. Thinking about it though. I saw some pics of the '19 Silverado that I liked. I have made a lot of money building car plants and working on existing so thought I might pay some back. Maybe.

Got a 2000 Silverado probably 6 years ago. Was pretty when I got it. Interior was almost showroom. Interior is still real nice but body is a bit rough. That thing is a tank. Locker rear end. 5 grand. 326,000 miles on it now and has some issues so I got a 07 Cadillac CTS that only had 32k on it.

We usually use the GM credit card and my wife pays them off pretty quick.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

The only vehicle I'll buy are Tacoma's; at 200k, yours is about "broken in". My son has over 500k on the same model.

These reports like the OP always tempt me to recommend they get a Taco, but.........they just don't get it. Never really understood that.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

Most I've ever spent on a vehicle was 8200 cash (I don't finance vehicles) and that's because it's a one ton dump truck. My DD is a 99 tacoma I got for 4500 some years ago, running great with over 200k on the clock.

Never bought a brand new vehicle either. Thinking about it though. I saw some pics of the '19 Silverado that I liked. I have made a lot of money building car plants and working on existing so thought I might pay some back. Maybe.

Got a 2000 Silverado probably 6 years ago. Was pretty when I got it. Interior was almost showroom. Interior is still real nice but body is a bit rough. That thing is a tank. Locker rear end. 5 grand. 326,000 miles on it now and has some issues so I got a 07 Cadillac CTS that only had 32k on it.

I have a buddy that got a CTS a few years ago and is still paying on it. All he does is complain about the damn thing. I always make fun of him for buying it considering he is single and doesn’t make enough to justify the purchase. Really nice car though.

I hope you enjoy yours

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think you might enjoy a Subaru Crosstrek (XV), OP.

Small and sporty, but plenty of room, handles great all weather, good engine.

For next time.

edit on 2-10-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I will never buy new again....you lose 40% or more the second you sign the paperwork.
My DD is an 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. It's got a 400 horse turbocharged 4 cylinder, roll cage, custom interior and racing suspension....all under $10k. She and I are going to the Nurburgring next year.

Honestly, you should have financed a new transmission and kept your baby.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Car companies need to keep building cars and improve reliability.

Instead they are turning them into infotainment center dumb smartphones.

And gm, quit trying to drive my gd truck for me. Stabilitrak will be the reason for my last gm truck purchase.

...shutting off the gd engines power mid-turn.

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Sp

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

My husband just got an 18 Silverado and it's awesome! He got the base model but with the bigger cab for our dog. It's perfect for traveling, house-hold projects, etc. Just perfect!

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
And yeah, I know that a car is not an investment.
But I'm kind of stuck... I have a fairly long and sometimes crazy commute to work so I need something that's comfortable, safe, good on gas, economically sound. I can't buy a used car and take the chance that it'll leave me stranded.

posted on Oct, 5 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I have a buddy that got a CTS a few years ago and is still paying on it. All he does is complain about the damn thing. I always make fun of him for buying it considering he is single and doesn’t make enough to justify the purchase. Really nice car though.

We make enough to justify the purchase... Honestly I love the car but have a couple issues... Mostly because I am used to my Silverado. not enough leg room left to right.... and the seat sits too low too the window ...

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Anyway, just coming back to say I love my Chevy. It's SO much fun to drive and while it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles it has everything I need to have an awesome commute every day!

top topics

join