It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese ship forces US destroyer off course , almost caused a collision

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The confrontation between the Chinese ship and the USS Decatur happened on Sunday as the Decatur was showing its presence off of the Spratly islands in one of America's "freedom of navigation" missions.

The USS Decatur was sailing past the Gaven and Johnson reefs in the disputed Spratly Islands, which China claims. The Luyang destroyer "approached within 45 yards [41m] of Decatur's bow", Commander Nat Christensen said.

US officials say the manoeuvre almost caused a collision

The Chinese response was....

"The US side repeatedly sends military ships without permission into seas close to South China Seas islands, seriously threatening China's sovereignty and security, seriously damaging Sino-US military ties and seriously harming regional peace and stability," China's defence ministry said.
www.bbc.co.uk...

BBC reporters hitch a lift on a US plane monitoring developments in the Spratlies.

The man made islands have been a concern for a while but with relations between East and West deteriorating perhaps their significance becomes more significant.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Can't believe the Captain of the USS Decatur chickened out first. What's a little scratched paint to prove a point.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

So he should have flushed his career to make a point?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

Can't believe the Captain of the USS Decatur chickened out first. What's a little scratched paint to prove a point.

Why don’t you go out and be captain of a multimillion$ ship and just get “a little scratched”.

Probably would be a PR mess and for all we know possibly start a very much unwanted conflict. Doesn’t sound too cool now does it?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
China will fall back into decay. Like before we were a trade partner and only bought a few novelties. As their worth plummets, they will rethink their aggressions..... just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
China will fall back into decay. Like before we were a trade partner and only bought a few novelties. As their worth plummets, they will rethink their aggressions..... just my opinion.

Only a “few novelties” lol..... What are the things you use most in life? And guess where most of the components are manufactured and then distributed? Dude you may not like this but most of what is said to be US made isn’t. Tis a hard fact I know but don’t be fooled man.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

As their worth plummets, they will rethink their aggressions..... just my opinion.

Or, as history proves, when things start to go sour a unhealthy dose of nationalism leads to confrontation. The Chinese claims to the South China Sea are ludicrous, but the Chinese have already been well indoctrinated to believe that it's all theirs. A contrived confrontation will not do the Chinese dictatorship any harm, especially off the back of a slowing economy. Thy will need an excuse.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

so a US SHIP in the SOUTH CHINA SEAS almost caused an unnecessary fuhckery and China needs to rethink their 'aggression ' ...

what bizarro world are we living in.

if any other nation had warships patrolling near other countries, we'd have something to say about said nation patrolling that other country.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

As their worth plummets, they will rethink their aggressions..... just my opinion.

Or, as history proves, when things start to go sour a unhealthy dose of nationalism leads to confrontation. The Chinese claims to the South China Sea are ludicrous, but the Chinese have already been well indoctrinated to believe that it's all theirs. A contrived confrontation will not do the Chinese dictatorship any harm, especially off the back of a slowing economy. Thy will need an excuse.

let's count "US" "territories " vs China...lets redefine ludicrous territorial claims...why don't we

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
let's count "US" "territories " vs China...lets redefine ludicrous territorial claims...why don't we

What ludicrous territorial claims does the US have? Are the US building and militarising artificial islands and disrupting the rights of ships to sail in international waters?

Like I said, the Chinese claims are ludicrous. They are especially concerning for all the other nations who exist in the vicinity of the SCS.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: paraphi

Those ARTIFICIAL islands are not covered under international law as legitimate peices of China.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

It makes me wonder what China's reports on this are but what has me more intrigued is how in the neck you can build an island in the sea.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Marty McFly said it best...

"What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan."

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Sounds like the person driving the Chinese boat is just a dick. Nothing more than that.

I would not be surprised to find out most nations mess with each others militaries in asshole ways all the time.

Off topic: Is militaries spelled right? My spell checker keeps telling me it isn't??

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

edit on 2-10-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Near another country ? China Territories ? Get the map out - the territory is hundreds of miles south of China well out into international waters.

The area the US ship was patrolling is the same international stretch of waters that China decided to build an island on to try and claim territorial/historical ownership of the entire sea under area.

The claim was refused by the UN tribunal. It lays a dangerous precedent if they can run any countries ships out of waters that were international up to a few years ago.

An artificial Island closer to the US next time perhaps if this is ignored ?

FYI - the red line in this map is what they are claiming ownership of.

upload.wikimedia.org... /South_China_Sea_claims_map.jpg
en.wikipedia.org...#/media/File:South_China_Sea_claims_map.jpg
edit on 2-10-2018 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   

ROFLMAO

Your stupid is showing.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Can you spell Tonkin?

I know you can.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheResidentAlien

Near another country ? China Territories ? Get the map out - the territory is hundreds of miles south of China well out into international waters.

The area the US ship was patrolling is the same international stretch of waters that China decided to build an island on to try and claim territorial/historical ownership of the entire sea under area.

The claim was refused by the UN tribunal. It lays a dangerous precedent if they can run any countries ships out of waters that were international up to a few years ago.

An artificial Island closer to the US next time perhaps if this is ignored ?

FYI - the red line in this map is what they are claiming ownership of.

upload.wikimedia.org... /South_China_Sea_claims_map.jpg
en.wikipedia.org...#/media/File:South_China_Sea_claims_map.jpg

Maybe we should stard drilling under thes newly created island and destabilize it so it sinks but do it in a fashion the chinese coudn't claim it was intentional.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

What ludicrous territorial claims does the US have? Are the US building and militarising artificial islands and disrupting the rights of ships to sail in international waters?

Shake and wake. The illlegal occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq and two large ones i can think off and a mutlitude of smaller ones too!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join