It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you mastered the skill of being miserable yet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I came across this vid that I feel highlights something profoundly wrong with the way we are approaching our lives today. It's based on the book "How to be miserable" by Randy J Paterson.

Here are the five principles covered in a brief summary - watch the short clip for a far better insight.

1) Become an island unto yourself - Isolate yourself in a room with a computer!

2) Take things seriously - Very seriously and take everything personally!

3) The Past the Future and the Present - Never live in the present! Always focus on the past to determine what you can do and fear the future based on what has happened in the past.

4) Relinquish your goals completely - Always look at the start and the end of a major goal you want to make it appear utterly impossible!

5) Let fear paralyse you - If you have an idea of doing something new, let the idea stop and immediately obey your comfort impulses, always wait for that perfect moment when it is completely safe to change something in your life!

When I watched this video personally. I actually ended up laughing out loud and then began to wonder what on earth happened in my own life.

I started out some major changes in my own life back in 2012 that led to a divorce, loss of employment, losing my house, family, friends, financial sabotage from others (I knew it would happen but allowed it because I never thought people could stab another in the back so badly), and ultimately had me living homeless for a while to keep it short. All the while masking the truth during television appearances and letting nothing stop me. Just when I was about to crack it and change my life for the better, I looked back at the old and felt this thing called fear, ultimately slipping right into the very 5 traps described here refusing to continue for the fear of what might happen.

I have another life changing opportunity that came my way two days ago, but fear is keeping me from taking it, fear of the consequences, fear of repeating the past, fear of condemnation based on the past but im going to face it and do it anyway.

Just thought I would share in case any of you folks are struggling or have fallen into this trap unintentionally as is often the case I believe.

From my own experiences, social media has a heck of a lot of answering to do with its power to demand conformity in line with the expectations of others. Not to be underestimated and I worry about the youth suffering for it (im in my early 30's).

Have you fallen into the traps above? Do you live in fear? Open to the opinions of others and experiences etc.

Cheers
edit on 1-10-2018 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
We?
Maybe some, I certainly dont include my family.
Yes modern implements are quickly turning the majority of sheep more and more anti social.

Im not going to dwell on others inability to enjoy life and others ...Im going fly fishing with my wife, horseback riding with my daughter and hunting elk with my friends.

cheers
edit on 1-10-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The easiest way to feel better when you’re miserable.

Is to make someone else miserable .

It is tried and tested method that goes back to the dawn of man.

Guys are good at it but women have perfected it .

(Jk)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
The easiest way to feel better when you’re miserable.

Is to make someone else miserable .

It is tried and tested method that goes back to the dawn of man.

Guys are good at it but women have perfected it .

(Jk)

Excellent avatar. That's all im saying for now

Ive been going through a very severe form of this for a long time and still am but in my country it is not taken seriously enough and only seems to happen in movies (only it was my wife lol)

edit on 1-10-2018 by XXXN3O because: Your avatar reminded me of the trailer so couldnt help but add it!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'm single now for the past 2 years, retired and could care less for what happens beyond my fences any more. I am quite happy in my solitude at this point.

Edit: I have my cats.

edit on 1-10-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
I'm single now for the past 2 years, retired and could care less for what happens beyond my fences any more. I am quite happy in my solitude at this point.

Edit: I have my cats.

Thats good your happy and as a cat lover myself, kudos to you on that one as well!

For me, it's not so much solitude that is the issue. It's when people won't let you go to get on with your life and keep pestering you in a never ending repetition of attention seeking drama via social media (especially) emails, texts and so on because they cannot handle being rejected. You go to friends or family etc to be met with - let them go and stop worrying.

Then a few years later after the never ending social media, emails and texts come to them (after you follow their advice and ignore), they come back and say wtf is going on. Leaving you looking like the nutcase when its the opposite. Gaslighting.

Never intended this to be a post about this stuff, just mentioning as its relevant to what you have said as I feel I cannot have solitude because of choosing it if you get me. Anyways all the best and thanks for your input

edit on 1-10-2018 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

It's when people won't let you go to get on with your life and keep pestering you in a never ending repetition of attention seeking drama via social media (especially) emails, texts and so on because they cannot handle being rejected.

That's what I'm finally rid of, dealing with other peoples problems and insecurities. Dealing with and agonizing over their perceptions of me. I had more than enough of that and am finally glad to be living for myself for a change. I'm content to live the rest of my life in peace and quiet. Somewhere in the bible, the best man can expect and strive for is a quiet and peaceful life. That's my plan for the time I have remaining.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

It's when people won't let you go to get on with your life and keep pestering you in a never ending repetition of attention seeking drama via social media (especially) emails, texts and so on because they cannot handle being rejected.

That's what I'm finally rid of, dealing with other peoples problems and insecurities. Dealing with and agonizing over their perceptions of me. I had more than enough of that and am finally glad to be living for myself for a change. I'm content to live the rest of my life in peace and quiet. Somewhere in the bible, the best man can expect and strive for is a quiet and peaceful life. That's my plan for the time I have remaining.

Enjoy a nice Asahi Super Dry, fresh air and some fishing in the future

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

George Dickel #12 on the rocks.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: XXXN3O

I came across this vid that I feel highlights something profoundly wrong with the way we are approaching our lives today. It's based on the book "How to be miserable" by Randy J Paterson.

Here are the five principles covered in a brief summary - watch the short clip for a far better insight.

1) Become an island unto yourself - Isolate yourself in a room with a computer!

2) Take things seriously - Very seriously and take everything personally!

3) The Past the Future and the Present - Never live in the present! Always focus on the past to determine what you can do and fear the future based on what has happened in the past.

4) Relinquish your goals completely - Always look at the start and the end of a major goal you want to make it appear utterly impossible!

5) Let fear paralyse you - If you have an idea of doing something new, let the idea stop and immediately obey your comfort impulses, always wait for that perfect moment when it is completely safe to change something in your life!

When I watched this video personally. I actually ended up laughing out loud and then began to wonder what on earth happened in my own life.

I started out some major changes in my own life back in 2012 that led to a divorce, loss of employment, losing my house, family, friends, financial sabotage from others (I knew it would happen but allowed it because I never thought people could stab another in the back so badly), and ultimately had me living homeless for a while to keep it short. All the while masking the truth during television appearances and letting nothing stop me. Just when I was about to crack it and change my life for the better, I looked back at the old and felt this thing called fear, ultimately slipping right into the very 5 traps described here refusing to continue for the fear of what might happen.

I have another life changing opportunity that came my way two days ago, but fear is keeping me from taking it, fear of the consequences, fear of repeating the past, fear of condemnation based on the past but im going to face it and do it anyway.

Just thought I would share in case any of you folks are struggling or have fallen into this trap unintentionally as is often the case I believe.

From my own experiences, social media has a heck of a lot of answering to do with its power to demand conformity in line with the expectations of others. Not to be underestimated and I worry about the youth suffering for it (im in my early 30's).

Have you fallen into the traps above? Do you live in fear? Open to the opinions of others and experiences etc.

Cheers

Thanks for this..... forget the reasons. I can relate to a lot of if not all of these at one time or another, Time to stop and move forward

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

You are not alone. That is all that matters I think.

Chin up and move forward!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Nice..havent heard ol George Dickel mentioned for years! I had it years ago in Tokyo, a buddy from Tennessee had brought over. Smoooooth

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
That was me age 14-20 never looked back. I’ve always been my biggest obstical and worst enemy. It’s so much better once you start living for today. It’s great.

I hope you dig yourself out bud I’ll be rooting for you.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Mastered it ? i should have letters after my name i am that good at being miserable , it,s all DOOM & GLOOM in my world , i am a hermit ,i like being a hermit , i love living alone these days , people keep telling me to get a pet , but stuff that even a goldfish seems like hard work these days .

People that say misery loves company do not know me

Ba Humbug

We are DOOMED i tell ya doomed

edit on 2/10/2018 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   

omg! that was hilarious

hahahah! pie in the sky

edit on 2-10-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   

LOL I know that. Dont even think it is even depression its just been a helluva rut, and Im sick of it. Good news is Ive been easy going before and I do know how its done... have a good one..

top topics

join