It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

found a wallet. what else should i do?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

they dont feel the same way that they own it alone like you think they do maybe. and maybe thats why they didnt hurry up.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

You did the right thing.
Its been 20 hours since they logged into FB?
Hell, most Facebook users dont go that long without creeping on there, so you can count on them calling you soon.

Great, now I am nervous that this girl was actually snagged up and is being held in an underground torture chamber.

Creeeeeepy

edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: Sp

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You did the right thing, calling the cops will not do anything but cause them to run your name .
And if they were to decide to take something, you would be on the hook for it and charged with theft .

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

You did the right thing. Its been 20 hours since they logged into FB? Hell, most Facebook users dont go that long without creeping on there, so you can count on them calling you soon.

Several people in my family only pop into facebook every few months. Most of the young people use snapchat/instagram, and other things to communicate now, Facebook is for old people is what i'm told!

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I lost my drivers license once.

It has my address on it, and some anonymous person mailed it to me. It was in an envelope with a note that said "I found this in the parking lot at the mall". That was all.
I was very appreciative.

Do likewise. Put the make up bag and it's contents in a little box and mail it.
edit on 9/30/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

i think i am going to wait for 3 reasons

just cause her license says an address that does not mean that is her current address. my license does not have my current address on it.

her address is FL and i found the bag today in Ohio. what if she just got here and is in town for 3 weeks and i send the bag to FL? then she dont get her cards and # back for 3 weeks?

mailing it would mean i have to come out of my pocket and that is not something i am willing to do. i dont care if it is $1

i have it safe on the shelf. i have contacted her and her husband and they know how to get a hold of me.

if they contact me asking to mail it they can send me postage and i will

i appreciate all the advice from everyone.
i did not say i was going to take the advice though

its here. its safe.
her move

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Well, it sounds like you've made some great strides in self improvement from the 10 years ago you lol!
This woman will be grateful as hell when she realizes that a good person had found it.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well im 36...and dont have fb! lol.

The only social media I have is LinkedIn.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
leaving wal mart and found like a little makeup bag in the parking lot.
wallet inside with a gang of ID and credit cards.

looked through for a number. nothing

the persons ID says they live in FL.

i looked her name up on facebook and found her. i left her a message telling her i found her # and left my phone number and told her to text me back and we can arrange to get it back to her.
said who she is married to so i messaged him and told him the same.

thats about it then yeah?

im definitely not taking it into the store and giving it to any of them. dont really trust people

i told them both i go to bed early and work early so if they dont get a hold of me by the evening it will probably be tomorrow.

i feel like now its on them.

there is a lot of # in that bag. car keys and a personal check for 1200 marked for deposit.

credit cards and gift cards.

i didnt take anything but i looked through it all thinking i would find a number. i told them both in the message i looked through everything.

would you do anything else?

i dont know what else could be done.

i figure i messaged them. now its on them.

Happens every day. Keep it, leave YOUR # w store mgr for when person comes looking.

I've never done it any other way...with all the personal info...they will come looking.

Oh...and find a phone some place? I turn it on if possible...go to CONTACTS, look for HOME, SISTER, WORK etc...I done that a few times as well.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I lost my drivers license once.

It has my address on it, and some anonymous person mailed it to me. It was in an envelope with a note that said "I found this in the parking lot at the mall". That was all.
I was very appreciative.

Do likewise. Put the make up bag and it's contents in a little box and mail it.

I was thinking the same thing, but make sure it's certified/signature delivery mail.

I would be cautious that they may have moved, so I would also try to find a number and call them first.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Indigent

i dont know what else could be done.

Give it to the police.

yeah thats not happening

i dont really talk to the cops unless i have to

i contacted her and her husband. the makeup bag in on my shelf and it will be until they call.

Agreed. I once had my account skimmed and the bank required a police report to investigate and return the funds.

When I went to the police station to file the report, they brought me back to the processing stations and, instead of letting me sit in a chair while he wrote the report, told me to sit on the metal bench where they seat those who have been arrested. I didn't follow his orders and just stood there by the desk, the #hole.

But yeah, you have done pretty much what you can. I'd try to find a number and call, since you know the name and address. I would suggest sending it certified, but then again you don't know if they've moved.

Patience.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

i would have expected to hear by now

i checked facebook a couple times and no message. no calls

oh well

they have a couple more hours till im in for the night so i guess it will be tomorrow

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
You did the right thing, calling the cops will not do anything but cause them to run your name .

I really don't see why you cannot hand it in to the police without giving a name. If you are that afraid of the police, then you've got some problems.

Anyway, all credit for doing the right thing. Personally, I would not have tried to make contact myself as there's no telling what can of worms you may be opening.

I found a wallet once. Handed it in. The policeman asked if I wanted the person to know who found it and I said "no". All they did was itemise the wallet in front of me and job done. I also lost a wallet once and it was returned intact, via the local policewoman who hand delivered it. That was service, eh!

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Breaking my lurking just to say:

You may be waiting a while - Facebook messages probably won't work. On Facebook, If you get a message from someone you don't know, it goes into an "other" filter that most people don't check.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Haven't used facebook in years... but I'm pretty sure if you send someone a message that your not friends with, then it just goes into a folder. I don't think they actually get a 'new message' notification... so they might not even see it.

Personally, I'd be paranoid she was kidnapped or some s#... So since you've already picked it up and messaged her, your only option now if you don't get a reply, might be to take it to the cop shop.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci
Breaking my lurking just to say:

You may be waiting a while - Facebook messages probably won't work. On Facebook, If you get a message from someone you don't know, it goes into an "other" filter that most people don't check.

Well it worked.
She called and I met her outside Lowe's.
She said she has to fly back tomorrow.

Why do people go right to maybe she was kidnapped?
Isn't the more logical thing is she dropped it?

Well it's returned

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Glad it was returned.

Not everyone knows about that "other" folder, so it's lucky she checked the thing.

As for kidnapping - guess everyone just thinks the worst these days. "Wallet on the ground? ILL DEEDS ARE AFOOT!"

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Yay !!! Bet she was happy an honest person found it.

You even went out of your way to meet her at Lowes .

You done good TST .. you done good... and may that good deed come back to you ten fold !

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Good!

Another day, another crisis solved on ATS.

*wink wink*

You did good bro.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Little story...

I lost my wallet one time. I was up in Estes Park Colorado taking my parents on a Jeep tour. I was wearing an old set of BDU pants and they had a hole in the cargo pocket. It wasn't a big hole, but it must have been big enough. Anyway, I lost my wallet at a Park entrance (I know that's where I lost it). When I realized I'd lost my wallet we were already back home. I drove all the way back up there that night to see if it was there (it wasn't). Of course I freaked out and cancelled everything and expected the worst.

My phone number was unlisted at the time (as always), and blocked every way possible. I figured I'd never hear what happened. I am intentionally difficult to get a hold of.

Long story short, about two weeks later I got a call from the local police department. They had my wallet. Must have been passed to at least three departments to get to my local department. All the cash was there, and so was everything else. I asked who found my wallet, and they said some guy who wished to remain anonymous.

I tried every way I could think of to find this dude so I could give him some cheddar for being a straight up guy, but no joy.

So, somewhere out there, there's a nice, honest, guy, who was in the same mindset as me.

Bottom line...the cops CAN find people, even when you can't.

True story.

ETA - Just saw you located the owner. Great! Job well done!
edit on 9/30/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join