It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Bodies everywhere': Indonesia rescue efforts focus on Palu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This is confirmation of what has been feared over the Palu Tsunami ,

A 6 metres Tsunami is enough to have quickly killed very many people , possibly into the hundreds of thousands .

Look at Palu on maps eg streetview , and read the article . Palu was densely populated and very flat . Most of the city would covered in water .

This is looking like one of the worst natural disasters from sheer death toll in recent history . Eg :

The city is built around a narrow bay which it is believed may have intensified the force of the tsunami waters as they hit. Visible among the wreckage was a bridge broken in half, a mosque submerged in water, its turret and dome collapsed inwards, and a shopping mall reduced to a crumpled wreck. “It is believed there are still people trapped in the mall,” said a reporter from the Indonesian news outlet MetroTV. “I can smell the very strong odour of decaying bodies.”

If the bridge shopping centre and Msosque have been so severely damaged (places where survivors were found eg hotel) then the rest of the city which lie at the same level as these has been covered , effectively wiping it out -see pictures in link

The city is built around a narrow bay which it is believed may have intensified the force of the tsunami waters as they hit. Visible among the wreckage was a bridge broken in half, a mosque submerged in water, its turret and dome collapsed inwards, and a shopping mall reduced to a crumpled wreck. “It is believed there are still people trapped in the mall,” said a reporter from the Indonesian news outlet MetroTV. “I can smell the very strong odour of decaying bodies.” Rescuers spent the day attempting to rescue survivors who were heard screaming from the wreckage of Palu’s collapsed eight-storey Roa Roa hotel. Six people were pulled out alive but dozens are still trapped

&

While the death toll sits at 832, this barely accounts for the worst hit area, the city of Donggala, where 300,000 people live and rescue teams are still struggling to reach. Rafiq Anshori, a spokesperson for the Red Cross on the ground in Palu, said he and his team had spent the day collecting bodies from the beach and outside buildings. He described the scenes the Red Cross team were encountering as “much worse than the earthquake in Lombok” – referring to the recent earthquake on the Indonesian island – and said most roads were cracked, making access difficult. He estimated around 60% of buildings in Palu were destroyed.

guardian source
edit on 30-9-2018 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

It's horrible to hear of things like this happening, it's easy to scare yourself by imagining what it would be like, surrounded by family and this happening to you and it really makes your heart go out to everyone effected by this.

Sad times....

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I can’t give enough kudos to these rescuers who go in after such tragic situations. Must be a very heartbreaking job, not to mention physically discomforting ( the smell of decaying flesh would gag me, let alone trying to pick them up and remove them)

This is such a sad and tragic event, and I pray for all those involved in rescuing and cleaning up. These are the types of scenes that never leave a person’s mind and can cause some serious PTSD.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I don't think there is enough news coverage on this disaster. I barely heard anything on the news of this, all there was is the Kavanaugh crap... Praying for them.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I love how the Guardian has a shameless please donate to us plug at the bottom but there is not even a mention of donations to the disaster relief...but you know like they say...you're just lucky they arent behind a paywall...

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410
I don't think there is enough news coverage on this disaster. I barely heard anything on the news of this, all there was is the Kavanaugh crap... Praying for them.

At that level of damage to the infrastructure like roads, power lines and mobile phone networks, once those are gone, there is no way of getting information out. No power = no way of charging mobile phones, no phone network, no working petrol stations, no way of travelling more than one gas tank.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

For some people , the facts need time to sink in .

This quote :

While the death toll sits at 832, this barely accounts for the worst hit area, the city of Donggala, where 300,000 people live and rescue teams are still struggling to reach.

from the Guardian itself
is hard to justify from map inspection of Dongalla . As in , Dongalla did not have 300 000 residents .

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410

I was thinking the same thing. If it wasn't for ATS I wouldn't have know of it happening. Just goes to show you, the news isn't the NEWS anymore...….

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Palu

It estimated that the water covered at least 30 square kilometres of populated cityscape consisting mainly of low buildings . The beachfront affected is 5.5 kilometres wide .

The tsunami may have at full height reached up to 10-12 kilometres inland (6-7 miles)

There appears to be footage of the event filmed from a ship while the city of Palu was covered over by seawater (as covered by previous thread . The fate of the ship has been undiscovered to us as yet .

Thread redirected as below

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Please continue to discuss the devastation on Palu here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join