It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Berners-Lee - Radical new plan to upend the World Wide Web

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Yea, I wish I knew and understood more about this. Not much info out yet that I can find.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Thank yo Tony. That has been my perspective. Still hoping for hope though. Way back when ''Network'' came out on the big screen those notions had already been swirlling around in my mind and all it took was Ned Beaty's monologue so iron it all out for me.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: watchandwait410

The main difference that stood out to me was your data is private, it is in a pod and not bought and sold. New sites and apps can be built using this and the web will be more decentralized. Hopefully someone with more IT knowledge on here can explain it better to us.

That's pretty much it. It allows you to create software and apps on a different plane where your info is private.

The only problem is, it doesn't stop what's already happening on current pages you visit. New stuff has to be written to take their place. Like an alt to facebook or something. Still, even then, you're still at the mercy of your internet provider should they want to farm you.

I suppose you could theoretically build a type of VPN with their platform to stop farming from googles and the like but VPNs do a decent job of that already.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Any one who can see info can farm it. You show it, it's captured, short of encrypted to a specific person.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Guy, understand, everyone has a price.

Or......they will just crush access. They have the servers.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Glad to see that Tim has kept the dream. I remember the early days.

Reality says it will end up the same down the road unless people change their thinking.

I remember those days too. He invented the HTML markup code and hyperlinks. That was enough for "web rings" to form, then Geocities, a virtual global map where websites could be roughly arranged into city suburbs. Enough for people to build up interest groups for everything from flower arranging to architecture and landscapes (now replaced by PInterest.com)
People could put their .mpg and .avi videos online, but they would often be broken with the wrong permissions, get deleted due to large file size or just end up lost by the Wayback machine (now replaced by Youtube.com).
Those days, even burning a CD-ROM or DVD couldn't be trusted. You would have to burn two or three just to make sure.
Everyone could create their own website, but these days, they prefer to just have everything organized for them by Facebook, Linkedin or some other social media site.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

They have the servers.

Anyone can have a server. But it won't be for a couple of dollars a month.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Kudos!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
The main difference that stood out to me was your data is private, it is in a pod and not bought and sold. New sites and apps can be built using this and the web will be more decentralized.

From what I read, if I make an app or a site using this new system I get to store my data on a pod, but I can make my app or site in a way that other people's data processed through my app or site will be also stored on my pod, so they don't have direct access to it either.

It could be a good idea, but I didn't see it clearly explained, so I have my doubts about it.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

There are already ways around the servers. Decentralized Internet.

I am sure Berners-Lee knows what he is up against as good as anyone.

“The intent is world domination,” Berners-Lee says with a wry smile. The British-born scientist is known for his dry sense of humor. But in this case, he is not joking.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

From the first link in the OP.

The difference here is that, on Solid, all the information is under his control. Every bit of data he creates or adds on Solid exists within a Solid pod–which is an acronym for personal online data store. These pods are what give Solid users control over their applications and information on the web. Anyone using the platform will get a Solid identity and Solid pod. This is how people, Berners-Lee says, will take back the power of the web from corporations.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Did you click the Decentralized Internet link I posted, servers are not required.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
NVM

edit on 29-9-2018 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I was just replying to a post that hosting a server isn't magic.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Ok sorry, I took it as you would still need to use a server.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I work in technology, and this doesn't make any sense. Why not reinvent the wheel?

If the issue is data mining, then encrypt the data. Just know, only people with the keys will be able to un-encrypt the data; publish the keys somewhere and you've accomplished nothing, because someone will just start mining the data again.

On the other hand, if the issue is freedom from ISP's then just spend the money (and it's a BUNCH) to create your own Internet Node and ISP. Then you're completely free from telco ISP's.

Either way, just creating a new Internet doesn't solve anything, not without all the access Nodes. Conversely, see point #1.

All this is (from what I can see) is Dark Web ver. 2.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Well, you have to host the data somewhere! You're either going to do it on a server/storage array you own, OR you're going to do it on a server/storage array someone else owns (like in the 'Cloud'). Just because things are 'virtualized' doesn't mean they are free from compute and storage hardware somewhere. Data can't exist without a physical medium to buffer and store it.
edit on 9/29/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes, that was I was getting at. It's the mindset of the users and builders. With humans, we will probably end up with what we have today.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I hope new info will come out soon explaining how all this will work. Maybe a lot like the dark web without the servers.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Form what I can tell the data will be hosted in pods.

On his screen, there is a simple-looking web page with tabs across the top: Tim’s to-do list, his calendar, chats, address book. He built this app–one of the first on Solid–for his personal use. It is simple, spare. In fact, it’s so plain that, at first glance, it’s hard to see its significance. But to Berners-Lee, this is where the revolution begins. The app, using Solid’s decentralized technology, allows Berners-Lee to access all of his data seamlessly–his calendar, his music library, videos, chat, research. It’s like a mashup of Google Drive, Microsoft Outlook, Slack, Spotify, and WhatsApp. The difference here is that, on Solid, all the information is under his control. Every bit of data he creates or adds on Solid exists within a Solid pod–which is an acronym for personal online data store. These pods are what give Solid users control over their applications and information on the web. Anyone using the platform will get a Solid identity and Solid pod. This is how people, Berners-Lee says, will take back the power of the web from corporations.

edit on 29-9-2018 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join