It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Loving One's Neighbor

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

we are lucky fish dont hear the story. it sucks.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damla

we are lucky fish dont hear the story. it sucks.

The thing is many people believe they are being helpful but their help is sometimes a hindrance.
If I keep giving money to people in need they will not be able to care for themselves....it can disable them.

Teach a man to fish instead of giving him fish.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

originally posted by: Akragon

Who do you see as 'your neighbour' that you should love as thyself?

Those that care for others...

Forget the bible quotes and all.
Is it just people who you have seen and know to be good people?
Is it just people that have helped you?

Its just people... lol

Again you are confusing me.
Is it all people or just the ones that care for others..............it seems you have two answers in your post?

There are two answers

What I take from the story, and my opinion... which conflicts with the story..lol

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

look, we can explain it that way..maaaaybe. if you work hard on something and keep wishinh on a star, your chances of achieving what you working on is likely to happen.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
and this is absolutely no joke. there is a thing called hard work.
edit on 2-10-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
you work day and night for year like a donkey and when nietzche sees you he goes nuts.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
"'Love' thy neighbor," simply means treat others as you yourself want to be treated. With respect, offer your help when it's requested, be a friend when needed, go the extra mile for a person if it helps them. Those are literally the examples Jesus set for WHAT, "loving thy neighbor" means. Jesus DIDN'T mean: "be a doormat for everyone to walk all over and be taken advantage of," or, "sit around holding hands all day singing 'kumbaya.''' NO. Jesus spent half his time REBUKING hardheaded people, and religious hypocrites -- ALL while going the extra mile teaching them the truth -- CORRECTING THEM, out of love. You don't want to see your fellow "neighbor" on a path of lies & deceit which ultimately leads to (their) destruction. That is the type of drive that love can have on a person, and the drive we should have with one another -- as illustrated and exemplified by Jesus himself.

John 13:15 - "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you."
edit on 9-10-2018 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

A lot to unpack in that passage. To me, the most important take away is here:

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Jesus then commanded the man to go and do likewise. What do you think he was commanding here? For the man to go and recieve help from neighbor-strangers, or for the man to go BE the neighbor?

Either way, the definition given of neighbor here is made moot by the second passage I posted in the OP:

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’
44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45

According to the NT, we are meant to love one another (which, IMO has been very well explicated in the above post) regardless our own personal feelings towards them, or whether or not they have shown us mercy.
edit on 10-10-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damla

no, i havent heard of that story.will you go cryptic and tell?

The monkey was being kind by pulling the fish out of the water.......it thought it would drown...........but the fish will not drown in water.......it will die out of water.

That is why you shall not judge others, for you do not know what you are doing.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

a reply to: Akragon

The Samaritan did not ask the thieve about his past.

Hang on....just re-read it....the man wasn't a thief...he was mugged basically. ...

It helps to notice these sort of things a bit easier or quicker if you use a more accurate translation in modern English.

Luke 10:30 (NW)

In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jerʹi·cho and fell victim to robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went off, leaving him half-dead.

Rather than the "fell among thieves" in your quotation, which is indeed confusing, I can see how you got the wrong impression at first. "fell among" is a bit too literally translated from the Greek and not taking the context into consideration.

Some other translations who did a decent job at taken the context into consideration when translating the Greek there (I've already given what seems the 'best' one to me, given the literal translation for the Greek and still using the verb "fell"; so don't get me wrong when I say "decent", that would be in comparison with the one you quoted that may give the wrong impression, which these translations avoid):

NIV:
"when he was attacked by robbers"
NLT:
"and he was attacked by bandits"
Berean:
"when he fell into the hands of robbers." [just another way of saying "fell victim to", which is shorter, less words to use extra compared to the literal Greek]
Berean Literal Bible (just because it demonstrates my points about translating literally]
"and fell among robbers"
CEV:
"robbers attacked him"
Darby:
"and fell into [the hands of] robbers" (this one is nice as well, cause it shows which words had to be used extra to make it a proper understandable English sentence that accurately portrays the intent of the Greek used there and not give the same wrong impression that "fell among" could give to modern English readers]

So I'll end with that one, cause there are many similar translations on the biblehub website with all the parallel translations, I just started at the top. And I guess it's not that important cause you already noticed and asked questions about something else. And I've got little to add to what I already quoted previously about this account about the Samaritan, which may answer your questions about this account if you think it through, so I refer back to that (page 2, 2nd comment of mine, 1st article at the end, and for proper context, also for the main bible text referred to in the OP and who Jesus was referring to with "you heard it said", entire 2nd article).
edit on 16-10-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join