It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Apple and Ikea, Chinese Shoppers Don't Love You Anymore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well IKEA is garbage so that makes sense.
And apple is overpriced and has lost its tech advantage long ago.

Chinese must see that.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

You are right. It has nothing to do with the trade war.

It has everything to do with the tax that China levies on imported goods which defies the WTO agreement it signed to drop all tariffs and taxes after 16 years of membership which was up in 2016.

A common conversation in my office is "Oh you got a new iPhone, it's too expensive" and my reply is "why does your gov't charge a tax on Apple phones but not Huawei who gives all your data to the Chinese military?"

Chinese people are price sensitive due to high housing costs and wage increase stagnation. The newly implemented Chinese tax cut aimed at giving all people 100 more USD in their pockets every month was aimed to partially correct the latter.

The CCP also keeps a level of toxic nationalism ready to go at a moment's notice and Xi's propaganda minister is a hard line commie tool. They've been rallying the "Chinese are the supreme people, buy Chinese goods" crap for a few months now.

However the flip side is there's less people in Ikea and Apple stores when I go which is always nice.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic
a reply to: Southern Guardian

You are right. It has nothing to do with the trade war.

It has everything to do with the tax that China levies on imported goods which defies the WTO agreement it signed to drop all tariffs and taxes after 16 years of membership which was up in 2016.

A common conversation in my office is "Oh you got a new iPhone, it's too expensive" and my reply is "why does your gov't charge a tax on Apple phones but not Huawei who gives all your data to the Chinese military?"

Chinese people are price sensitive due to high housing costs and wage increase stagnation. The newly implemented Chinese tax cut aimed at giving all people 100 more USD in their pockets every month was aimed to partially correct the latter.

The CCP also keeps a level of toxic nationalism ready to go at a moment's notice and Xi's propaganda minister is a hard line commie tool. They've been rallying the "Chinese are the supreme people, buy Chinese goods" crap for a few months now.

However the flip side is there's less people in Ikea and Apple stores when I go which is always nice.

Come down to Hong Kong and see the Apple lines. lol.

Don't forget Google working on censoring with the Govt.

I like Ikea. It's a good replacement for Wal Mart.

My wife is an Apple gal. I have a Haweia and an iphone 6S

new topics

<< 1   >>

join