It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Apple and Ikea, Chinese Shoppers Don't Love You Anymore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Looks like the Chinese are starting to move away from western brands and America seems to be taking much of the impact:

Move over Apple and Nike. Chinese phone maker Huawei and food delivery giant Meituan Dianping have replaced you as some of China’s favorite brands.

The once-coveted brands of multinationals are losing ground to local companies in the world’s most populous country, according to a new report on the country’s 50 most relevant brands.

Move over Apple and Nike. Chinese phone maker Huawei and food delivery giant Meituan Dianping have replaced you as some of China’s favorite brands.

The once-coveted brands of multinationals are losing ground to local companies in the world’s most populous country, according to a new report on the country’s 50 most relevant brands.

For what it's worth I wouldn't put blame solely on Trump's tariffs given this has been a slow trend over the years. With that said the trade war appears to be accelerating that trend:

Chinese brands now take up 30 of the 50 slots, with online payment operator Alipay, owned by an affiliate of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd., at the top. That’s a big change from 2016 when only 18 local names made the top 50 brands in the survey by consultancy firm Prophet.

Bloomberg

For the majority of us on here who tend to be, sensitive to liberalism, Nike has taken one of the biggest hits. Of course, I don't think the Chinese have been paying too much attention to the National Anthem drama.

On the bright side, some American giants have taken an increase like Microsoft, but the trend is facing the other way. This is a big deal for the West and in particular, the United States. China is set to become the largest economy in the world with in a matter of 10 years and given the significant dependance on trade and outsourcing, I think this switch is going to hit us hard. Be prepared.

edit on 28-9-2018 by Southern Guardian because: Correct title

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I've changed the title as I feel it reflects the article better:

You know, I’m of the mindset that rules, especially from a website that declares “deny ignorance”, are a joke.

But got to tell you man, changing the title of a source really does muddy the waters.

Change it back...let the discussion affect the posts, not a rigged OP.

edit on 28-9-2018 by BestinShow because: Add rigged

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

You know what BestinShow..... I agree.

Title changed back to original! I actually believe the title is triggerhappy but so be it!

Here's a Bud.... not sure if you like Bud but it's all I have.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Here's a Bud.... not sure if you like Bud but it's all I have.

First off, thanks for responding, we don’t gel on a majority of issues, but it’s nice to know we agree on conversation ethos.

To add, I do like Bud, of the hybrid type, sativa heavy...puff, puff, pass.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So China favors Chinese made products. But America First is a wrong policy for America? Imagine that.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Thank you for your nightly post on the DNC talking points.

We have spent the last 30 years or so paying China to help them become the biggest economy on the planet. With things they steal from us.

Perhaps it is time to reign them in a little bit, stop them stealing from us and make a reciprocal trade agreement.

you know, worry about our own country for a change.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

So China favors Chinese made products. But America First is a wrong policy for America? Imagine that.

Now now... that's a little unfair there on your part Ahabstar. i don't think anybody has argued policies promoting American businesses. People like myself have criticized the trade war but this is mainly based on international aggression.

Let me just add as well, the top 10 brands and the United States have been American... and it's been like that for close to a century now. We've already largely supported our own.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Perhaps it is time to reign them in a little bit, stop them stealing from us and make a reciprocal trade agreement.

And how's that going so far? Maybe you outta actually read the OP.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
China is also our biggest threat and increasingly aggressive. FBI Director Chris Wray, for one, has been talking about it lately.

You sound like a nervous Nelly who wants to capitulate. That's what the globalist ass kissers do so you're not alone.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

It is part of the point of the tariffs and the corporate tax cuts, though. To encourage more domestic production versus importing raw and finished goods. Case in point, I have seen many “gee wow” types of gadgets advertised on Kickstarter for startup funding. Many of those same gadgets can be found on Alibaba for 20%-25% of the price of the Kickstarter page, just you have to order in bulk on Alibaba. Now that is just modern scam tactics that date back to snake oil salesmen and wandering drummers peddling their wares.

But American manufacturing has taken a huge hit. I think New Balance is the only American produced tennis shoe company left? Levi’s is long gone. Most all textiles are gone. Even the looms producing the material, which had very little labor force to operate.

That China has the manufacturing base in place to make quality knockoffs or substitutes should be no surprise. They do not respect Patents and Trademarks held by the US. Neither did Japan’s auto manufacturers until the mid to late 1980’s. Many Japanese trucks looked like Ford trucks from the 1970’s on the interiors.

Not venting on you, by the way, just venting in general. Because I know for many it will be a shock to find out that China is coming very close to becoming self supportive as the US has become quite dependent on China made goods.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
That country will be dead in 20 years. Don't worry about it. Bad water and sever pollution have consequences.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Fixed link:

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-13/sorry-apple-ikea-chinese-shoppers-don-t-love-you-anymore

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
LOL at all that sucked down the China wang.

You didn't think this day was coming, with the BS rules China imposes upon you while letting their own companies steal your intellectual property risk free.

Why buy Nikes when you can buy Air Qiaodans?

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Now if only they could steal some creativity.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

I noticed micosoft ,Intel and Android went up. Do you think the change is simply Chinese prefer versatility, There is thousands and thousands of apps for Android and the Chinese love the fact it can be programmed. Apple has a restricted architecture so of course, it's becoming less popular. Chinese have totally embraced android apps. Your going to see the same thing happen everywhere i can get an android phone add memory applications it connects to any Microsoft product. Apple is pricing themselves out of the asian market period take any asian country and you will see the same trend.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   
They steal American intellectual property and then rebrand it as their own product and then we wonder why they make the same basic thing for less money? The Chinese are so damn dishonest and untrustworthy that nothing they do surprises me anymore.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Apple is a dog#, evil company that deserves to be bankrupted.

The Chinese should buy from Chinese companies. Multinational corporations are the enemies of everyone on the planet. Maybe the rest of the world should follow the Chinese example?

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

But American manufacturing has taken a huge hit. I think New Balance is the only American produced tennis shoe company left? Levi’s is long gone. Most all textiles are gone. Even the looms producing the material, which had very little labor force to operate.

Back in the 2000's, the UK had the newspapers crowing about how wonderful it was that we were selling off all our high-tech manufacturing companies to the Chinese. Asset-strippers from the City would buy up a company, lay off the workforce, keep the pension funds for themselves and sell off those high-tech looms, lathes, CNC milling machines and other technology to Chinese companies. The Chinese would also buy up all our scrap metal and electrical appliances, then resell us new appliances that only lasted a couple of years. Then they reassured us, we would get products made cheaper, and that this would form a virtuous cycle as everyone would become wealthier. Somehow, along the way, we end up with massive trade deficits which require "austerity measures" to help keep the national debt under control.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

This was always the plan. That's why China demands access to technology so they can steal it for their own brands. Trump is on the right path but not going far enough. China is an enemy and we need to stop supplying them with the money they need.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I worked in a factory that supplied electrical system parts for diesel locomotives in 2008, I made the cooling resistors for the braking systems. Big round fans that sit on top of the locomotive. For the ones going to China, we were using blueprints from 1938 and substituting aluminum and lower grade thermal insulating plastics where possible, because they were ordering limited quantities of parts. We knew they planned to reverse engineer them, so we didn’t use modern designs to prevent future competition.

In assembling them, I can say the changes made them rather springy and a little tricky to put back together if you were to take them apart without detailing every last thing. Especially without knowing the exact order of assembly required.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join