It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developing: IP Address of Person Who Doxxed GOP Senators Points to Maxine Waters’ Office

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Did you click the "Execute Test" button?

Unless you take measures to block it, your internal IP is visible from the outside world.

edit on 9/29/18 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yes. Not using a VPN so isn't meaningful.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

It is not specific to VPN. The example is just showing that even if you are using a VPN, your internal IP is still accessible via RTC API and scripting, if you do not block it.

Your internal IP is not "hidden" just because you have an ISP. Even on your normal connection, your Internal IP is visible through RTC.

This is standard in every browser. It is used by advertisers and others. You can block cookies, but they can still track you.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
With the sad state our country is in, I bet about half of people will see this as something to be applauded.

Indeed.

The doxxer got doxxed... yet only one is bad and the other is good.

Go figure.

Yea, one spread the personal information of people including their home addresses and phone numbers, and the other identified the office it came from. I can see how the two are almost identical. Derp.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I could easily spoof this information and change the headers on the packets leaving my forward proxy within the area of the office.

Where is the forensic evidence?

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Do you really think that Maxine Waters or anyone that works for her would be smart enough to do that?

ETA: Oh I see - you think she was framed. Doubtful. Most people think like the users above that they are anonymous.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Your internal IP is available to a program running on your computer. This doesn't mean any process out on the internet can see your machine IP behind some translation process. This has to be purposely done.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

It appears 4plebs found the culprit and she works in Maxine Waters’s office. That much is in Wikipedia (twitter.com...). From there, a google search reveals that this IP address posted a comment on AUGUST 22, 2018. Very recently: www.monocacyboard.org... Kathleen Sengstock, a staffer for Maxine waters, posted from this IP. www.c-span.org... twitter.com... So, one of Maxine Waters’ staffers has posted from that IP. I’m not sure how subnetting works in the House of Reps. But I would assume that for security purposes each rep would get their own router. Can anyone confirm? Continuing to search.

they are speculating that each office has it's own REAL IP and router. Which would make sense, as my office has 8 real IP's to use. And I'm a nobody. I'm not sure this is concrete evidence, it sure doesn't look that way, but when logic is applied, it kind of make sense. But I am biased in that I think Maxine is nuts and would stab trump in the eye with a pencil if she was close enough to him.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
a reply to: highvein

I agree. Republicans need to take the gloves and fight dirty

Once Kav is in, the MPs show up and make hundreds of arrests for treason.

The dirt will be on the faces of the traitors as theyre cuffed and stuffed.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

While it might not be true that for most users a public IP address identifies them, it is nearly always true that a local IP address is an identifier. Local IP addresses don't change that often so it is alarming to discover that there is a very easy way for a website to discover your local IP address.

WebRTC is a peer-to-peer communications protocol that makes it very easy for two browsers to establish voice or video communications without the need of an intermediate server. As you might guess this sometimes needs knowledge of a machine's public and local IP address.

STUN - (Session Traversal Utilities for Nat) is a protocol that allows a machine to discover its public IP address, even if it is behind a NAT. All that happens is that the machine sends a UDP packet to the STUN server and the STUN server sends back a response packet containing the public IP address. It is very simple and Firefox has a default STUN server that can even be used by Chrome.

Now, however, we have a WebRTC mechanism that is easy to use in JavaScript that will find the public and local IP address using the default servers. This doesn't make use of the usual Ajax XMLHttpRequest and so currently doesn't show in the developer console and isn't blocked by privacy add-ins. In addition the WebRTC facilities are turned on by default at the moment.

WebRTC needs to know the local and public IP address to provide decentralized and hence more private communications and WebRTC gives this information to anyone who wants it - so reducing anonymity.

link

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
So is Wiki doing this? That's the bottom line for it.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

That sounds logical.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Not necessarily. I was replying to your statement that only your ISP IP is visible.

It does make sense that different offices would have different routers, thus different public facing IPs.
Someone could isolate who within that IP is doing what if they want to.
It's likely that someone in the FBI is already looking into that. Of course, they don't even need WebRTC to do that.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I was replying to your statement that only your ISP IP is visible.

It isn't without some game being played. That the line.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I think I may have confused you with my replies to your various questions. They are a bit off-topic from this OP.

The original explanation in the OP link shows how they identified the IP source for the Wikipedia post.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: kpap13

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
So how does a public ip address that's logged resolves to a private ip address on a network that's likely got quite a few machines on it resolve to a specific person's private ip address ?

Actually, people will believe the most outrageous things.

Whoever is pushing the bs likely knows their base will fall for it too.

Ugh. I actually finally joined this site after years of just reading to respond to this and other posts.

Someone else brought up NAT and tracking of public to private IP addresses. Mostly, today regarding IPv4, a protocol called PAT (port address translation) is used. This resolves a unique internal private address to a single or several public addresses, allowing many machines to use the same public IP address.

Yes, but that's not what we are discussing, we are discussing the possibility of someone looking at a wikipedia page's edit history, grabbing a public ip address from that history, then resolving that public IP address to a private IP address.

You cannot. It's not possible - actually let me be more specific, it's possible only if one had admin access to whatever gateway used to send the original request, and presumably access to whatever device that would be storing a PAT table if one where used. You do this be either being given access or exploiting a device on the network.

originally posted by: kpap13

This does not provide obscurity regarding network activity. Each PAT process uses a port number to route back to the machine communicating out of the internal network. Being in the cyber security field, this is absolutely something that can be tracked back.
This is not to say that a machine in this scope was not compromised, and used as a pivot point to complete this attack.....Regardless, very possible and relatively easy to track back, no matter what protocol of NAT or PAT was being used.

Again, none of this is transmitted outside to the public, especially over a HTTP request.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diisenchanted
As many of you know some one doxxed the Senate Judiciary.

Many Republicans on the Senate Judiciary had their home addresses and phone numbers published on their Wikipedia pages Thursday.

The victims included Republican Senators Mike Lee, Orrin Hatch of Utah and Lindsey Graham, reported the Washington Times.

What many of you may not know is that the leak came from a computer within the House Of Representives.

The private information on the Republican Senators is coming from a computer from the House of Representatives!

In fact the have narrowed it down to some one within Maxine Waters office.

There truly is no depths that the left wont sink to!

National Security expert David Reaboi says the IP addresses point to Maxine Waters.

Link

What say you ATS?

As you can see from the headlines this story is developing.

Seems weird for two reasons. Maxine Waters doesn't appear to have the techinical know how to personally do this and/or instruct someone to do it. That's not they way she works.

Secondly. Anyone smart enough to do this would also know that the IP could be traced.

It would appear that she's been framed. I could be wrong, that's just my initial analysis.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

They did not resolve it the private IP.

The compared it to other postings from that same public IP, and followed the path.
The whole House of Representatives does not share the same public IP.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

You don't have to be smart to post on Wikipedia.
She could have told an intern to do it.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

OK.

I am saying they can't be sure of which office did it with showing more information. They admitted it. Simple IP address match they show is not certain proof.

Maybe we are in agreement.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join