It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US political arguments are much more angry and childlike compared to UK folk

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
But I can't imagine giving Americans I know beans for breakfast and sending them off to an office environment.

Well I still don't understand chicken and waffles going together.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
There, I said it.
Is it that we are simply more civilised or is there some other reason?
Every day y'all in the US are angry and outraged with each other to the point I imagine you frothing at the mouth while rocking in a chair with crazed eyes. If you are left you hate everything right and the anger is surprising to me as a Brit.

We have a massive polarising issue going on at the moment with Brexit possibly the biggest issue to affect our country in generations, and yes there is some anger on both sides, but overall there is also decent banter and a few laughs between the opposing sides.
None of the UK political threads even get posted in the mudpit, and there are very few posts removed by mods.

So what is it then? How come Brits can argue and debate with friendly banter thrown into the mix but US political discussion is mostly posted in the pit with venom and anger a plenty?
Do y'all just like being angry?

Every parliament in the world has broken out into fist fights in the last 10 years right in the middle of legal proceedings, yours included.

Show me some congressmen punching each other out.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

You'll quickly realize we're all angry and that's human nature.
edit on 1-10-2018 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody
Eh? English food is fantastic, our chickens are not chlorinated, our beef isn't fed hormones, all our fruit and vegetables are GM free, never mind outstanding dishes like Toad in the hole and Spotted Dick.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
But I can't imagine giving Americans I know beans for breakfast and sending them off to an office environment.

Well I still don't understand chicken and waffles going together.

Haha, I'll be honest, I'm from the south and I don't either... Though I'll be fair and say I've never had it.

I don't care for sweets and don't really eat breakfast foods. I can usually eat lunch foods to get my day going.

Although from time to time some toast, runny eggs, and corned beef hash is welcome in the morning.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime
Ah, I was on about the anger between members here on ATS.
You've gotta admit us Brits are less angry with each other when we argue, we even have some good laughs about it.
The US political threads though, # me, some folk are rabid!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: shooterbrody
When is the last time you took your family to that awesome English joint?

We grow it better here so....

Sure you do buddy......
I would wager there are plenty who would volunteer to take that pepsi challenge.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Eh? English food is fantastic, our chickens are not chlorinated, our beef isn't fed hormones, all our fruit and vegetables are GM free, never mind outstanding dishes like Toad in the hole and Spotted Dick.

Then what the hell do you do to it, to cook the taste right out of it? Oh yes, that's right, you BOIL it....

Explain this whole accent bit you guys made up.

You do know you guys didn't talk like that in the past, right? You used to sound just like us (or rather, we sound like you USED to)....

(OK, not really complaining, as it's kinda sexy, but still....why?)
edit on 1-10-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok
Lol, don't just think of the BBC accent, although it is my telephone/business accent as it is for many people.
Accents vary wildly in the UK, some even I struggle to understand like people with a strong Glasgow accent, it almost doesn't even sound like English.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

our chickens are not chlorinated, our beef isn't fed hormones, all our fruit and vegetables are GM free

those are available here in the states, just not as readily at the big box stores

Interesting to see one could find spotted dick in a can......

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Spotted Dick in a can???!!!
Heathens!!!
FFS, that means we'll be getting it here after Brexit then and our new trade deals with the US.
It'll be sold in a chain called 'Farm Foods' for sure, which is an absolute lie because they sell low quality frozen # to the masses.
[/shudders]

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Well if there were actually "English" restaurants here I would take one for the team and try it.

Spotted Dick in a can???!!!
Heathens!!!

Something about anger....lol

it is microwaveable....

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sorry but I may have to call the police about this abomination!
To be fair though I'm biased, my grandmother made it when I was a child so anything from a can will always be second rate to me.
...we'll have loads of US food after a trade deal though for sure. Trump (like him or not) is a businessman, and he's going to insist on lifting the current bans on many US food imports. The only concession we'll likely get is clear labels "Produce of US" or "Contains GM ingredients" or whatever.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Well if there were actually "English" restaurants here I would take one for the team and try it.

See my edit.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Oh there are plenty of "irish" or "scottish" pubs around....just not many "english" ones.
I guess people prefer haggis to toad in a hole?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
We actually have some pretty decent English pubs around here, as a lot of Brits retire and come live in FL. I simply asked my English friends, to find them. Pretty much like asking Mexican friends where they like to go for actual Mexican food.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I love haggis, my Scottish mates mother used to cook a fantastic feast (RIP Helen), but overall, Irish, Scottish, English and Welsh food is pretty similar.
I've got into Polish and Czech food now though, their meats are amazing, I love eating at my EU mates homes, and do much of my shopping at Polish stores here.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

All this food talk requires a warning. You may have to be on the look out for this sign.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

English accents vary so much.

I live in North East England, most people from 'The South' think I talk with a Geordie accent but its nowhere near as broad as Geordie.
I can tell the difference in accent spoken by people from literally only ten miles up the road from me - they speak Pitmatic.
People from just literally less than fifteen miles east of me speak with a Smoggy accent - a sort of cross between Scouse, Irish brogue and a soft North East accent.

More and more Southerners speak 'estuary'.
I have a mate who originally comes from Chelmsford in the south east....when he's had a drink I can barely understand a word he says, I honestly understand broad Glaswegian better than estuary English.

The one thing we have in common is the ability to take the piss out of ourselves and each other.

British food is nearly as varied as our accents.
We in the North East have traditional English fayre and also invented The Parmo.
Yorkshire gave the world its pudding.
The Midlands love faggots - without even considering the Atlantic mistranslation faggots are disgusting, how meat can be made to taste so disgusting is beyond me.
Cockneys eat jellied eels - probably the worlds worst foodstuff.
The Cornish gave us pasties.
The Welsh eat their first born.
The Irish gave us stew.
And the Scots gave us square sausage and deep fried kebabs.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I always enjoy the British inferiority complex.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
Haha!
We've gone way off topic now as well, but there has been some funny banter.
I watch that 'Diners drive-ins and dives' show sometimes, that food is total cardiac material, I'll definitely try some when I visit one day, and also poutine, that looks filthy as #!

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join