It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US political arguments are much more angry and childlike compared to UK folk

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Im glad we are just talking about the people !

because our politicians cant even have a civilised debate , they look and act like chimps flinging #e at each other!
compared to the rest of the world , where they can at least debate each other without acting like petulant children!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

The really sad part is the lengths they would go to deceive themselves - the concentration of wealth and the increasing poverty in the US. LOL all those trillions spent fighting wars for the select few to profit.

But but but is all they come up with while ignoring the huge wealth transfer.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: CriticalStinker

LOL after manufacturing excuses to invade - you really believe you're spreading freedom and not marching to the MIC's perpetual wars for profit?

Again, I was being satiracl.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: PharoahSpiderMan

Ha ha ha....now YOU definitely don't get it.

Remember the Trans Atlantic slave trade? You guys were the first dirtbags to think you were more superior than everyone else.

What, by being amongst the first to outlaw it and actively work to abolish it?

Go study some real history and not the jingoistic, dogmatic rhetoric you laughably call history.

And I wish you'd learn some really descriptive and expressive insults....you guys always seem to use the really lame one's.
The English language is awash with insults, put downs and swear words.

Hope you didn't sleep in for school today?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
There, I said it.
Is it that we are simply more civilised or is there some other reason?
Every day y'all in the US are angry and outraged with each other to the point I imagine you frothing at the mouth while rocking in a chair with crazed eyes. If you are left you hate everything right and the anger is surprising to me as a Brit.

We have a massive polarising issue going on at the moment with Brexit possibly the biggest issue to affect our country in generations, and yes there is some anger on both sides, but overall there is also decent banter and a few laughs between the opposing sides.
None of the UK political threads even get posted in the mudpit, and there are very few posts removed by mods.

So what is it then? How come Brits can argue and debate with friendly banter thrown into the mix but US political discussion is mostly posted in the pit with venom and anger a plenty?
Do y'all just like being angry?

Maybe you guys have it up on us because of those funky wigs you wear in judicial settings?????

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

The law over here is much more refined than the US judicial system, what with jumping up and down shouting "OBJECTION!" all the time. Perhaps if your lawyers robed up and wore wigs they might behave in a more restrained and civilised manner?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
To be fair, Britain is just as bad because we nearly always follow the US into any conflict. We sell arms to the Saudi's and pretty much anyone with the cash so are indirectly responsible for the deaths of many innocents.
At the highest levels 'they' are all into it, and it all boils down to profit and greed.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: pointessa

The law over here is much more refined than the US judicial system, what with jumping up and down shouting "OBJECTION!" all the time. Perhaps if your lawyers robed up and wore wigs they might behave in a more restrained and civilised manner?

The Russians do it with more flare:

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Unfortunately all too true. The situation in Yemen is beyond the pale.

Anyway, back on topic, American politics is seedy and corrupt and the Trump/Hillary debates on here are definitely childish and boring.

British politics is not much better though.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Isn't that Khrustev whatisname at the UN?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
Anyway, back on topic, American politics is seedy and corrupt and the Trump/Hillary debates on here are definitely childish and boring.

British politics is not much better though.

UK politics are definitely seedy and corrupt as well, but the arguments between us Brits on ATS are much less angry, even funny at times. We also stick to one or two threads to argue in, take Brexit, the biggest issue in generations, and there is only two threads on the go. The long one where matey keeps posting any news articles he finds is pretty good for up to date info, then the more recent one where we've all had a good bitch and whine, but with banter and pisstake at the same time.

How many Kavanaugh threads are there now? And they're all basically arguing the same crap, but it is amusing when I see how angry some members get over it.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Lol, I thought the same thing about the slave trade but ignored it as a silly comment, especially when the US only stopped treating black people officially like # in the 1960's.
Yeah, nothing to see here about US race relations, move along.

The member's comments are great though, they really sum up the point I was making in the OP. Childish and angry 'debating' skills.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Do y'all just like being angry?

*goes to dump his tea in the harbor*......

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok
Lol that's fighting talk mate!

Britain runs on the stuff, honestly, every builders merchants has free tea going for customers...we'd have no construction work done without it.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The member's comments are great though, they really sum up the point I was making in the OP. Childish and angry 'debating' skills.

Unfortunately some people buy into tribalism too much, to their defense it is sold well.

People forget that everyone is human, no matter the country they come from, and that level of being human is both bad and good.

On one hand, we are all flawed. To some degree citizens of any given country will subscribe to the narrative that is given to them. On the other hand, I would say most people of any country in question just want to have a family, live life, and enjoy themselves.

Even if you live in a democracy, we do not run the governments. We are not a product of their policy. We have nothing to gain from projecting our power at the expense of what is taken from our paychecks.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
lets face it all countries , governments are shady as # , the quicker we realise we have all been played the better, there are more of us than there are off them , we may disagree on a lot , but we want to be happy , they dont want us to be happy!

So lets get them tae #!

No government ever set about helping the common man , save for the few brave souls who risked their lives and liberty to try and protect us through various legal documents !

but its all been co-opted for the detriment of the many to the benefit of the chosen few !

the US is basically a distilled version of the British Empire , stronger and better and more viscious and cruel!
comparing the two is pointless , they are both symbols of everything that is wrong with the world!

Aye they have given us freedoms , but they have destroyed so much more

the pot and the kettle are both black !

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

People forget that everyone is human, no matter the country they come from, and that level of being human is both bad and good.

I agree.

On the other hand, I would say most people of any country in question just want to have a family, live life, and enjoy themselves.

Well posted.

Though to be honest I think we can all agree that what no one wants is English food.
When is the last time you took your family to that awesome English joint?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Though to be honest I think we can all agree that what no one wants is English food.

Haha, interesting point.

I'll humor for a second at least the English enjoy it....

But I can't imagine giving Americans I know beans for breakfast and sending them off to an office environment.

I though we banned chemical/biological weapons.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

We grow it better here so....

ETA: A lot of pub grub is English. Which is cool if you're alone or a couple. If it's a family it's a helluva lot cheaper to make it at home. I could go for some roast beef and Yorkshire pudding right now. Gravy, mash, veg....

edit on 1-10-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82
@ CriticalStinker & sapien82
Both excellent points

Us, the people, 'should' be the power, but in both societies we just have different illusions of freedom.
There will always be opposing views just how we express them is important, take sapien82 for example, we massively disagree over the Brexit issue but in 'that' thread we've had some good laughs and banter at the same time...all the Brits seem to get along even when we disagree. We have one particular Scottish member who goes off on one sometimes, but he can be funny with his sharp lines so I'd have a pint with him as well, reckon he'd be a good laugh.
When I read US dominated threads it often seems there is no room for being friendly, which is a pity in my opinion, it only furthers the right/left divide.

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join